New , Gazelle Eclipse , Class 3 , Bosch Smart System

As owner of previous generation of C380+ I definitely would skip this generation. The overall changes are not that notable except migration to Bosch Smart System, with 750Wh battery as biggest benefit of it. Otherwise, the immaturity of Smart System add some limitations to this model, like no dual battery option (only 250W extender potentially available) or no Bosch Nyon display option. Somehow no Enviolo Automatiq option offered by Gazelle (while Smart System has compatibility already). And the final nail in the coffin is off-course the MSRP: $6k vs $4.75k in previous generation - there is absolutely no reason in the 25% price bump. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for that info . I'll have to look over the specs . Maybe it's just now 28mph vs 20 .
Plus models were always Class 3. Just new iteration on current Bosch platform with unreasonable price increase.

As owner of previous generation of C380+ I definitely would skip this generation. The overall changes are not that notable except migration to Bosch Smart System, with 750Wh battery as biggest benefit of it. Otherwise, the immaturity of Smart System add some limitations to this model, like no dual battery option (only 250W extender potentially available) or no Bosch Nyon display option. Somehow no Enviolo Automatiq option offered by Gazelle (while Smart System has compatibility already). And the final nail in the coffin is off-course the MSRP: $6k vs $4.75k in previous generation - there is absolutely no reason in the 25% price bump. Am I missing something here?
I dont see an issue with the smaller extra battery. but a new nyon is in the works. bosch takes their own sweet time to refine their system. but I bet its going to be 4 or more years before they have a big change.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? The Verge article says this the first and only class 3 Smart System. Didn’t Riese and Muller already have that last year in the Charger 4?

in the USA , they say .
Propel have new Smart System poweres R&M bikes for few month already, so this one is definitely not first. May be them mean first Gazelle in US? Then this is true.

I dont see an issue with the smaller extra battery. but a new nyon is in the works. bosch takes their own sweet time to refine their system. but I bet its going to be 4 or more years before they have a big change.
Yes, smaller extra gives you 1000Wh in total - same is my dual battery setup now. However I was hoping for 1250Wh or even 1500Wh options - R&M didn't release updates for their dual-battery models with Smart System yet, so may be we will see them later this year or next year? Overall Smart System becames quite a nice mprovement over old one and in few years I will definitely look for upgrade!

They said USA but there have been a few already available over here. Gazelle isn't a US company.
I like how the Verge puts 'first and only' in quotes to make it clear they are repeating what Gazelle's PR told them to say regardless of its lack of... accuracy.

R&M, Tern HSD(?), Canyon Grizl:ON, and Salsa Tributary off the top of my head. Not sure if Trek, Bulls, or Moustache have actually released new class3 models in the US yet.

I think it looks great. It has pretty much every update I would have wanted including the larger battery and the newer Bosch system. The price and weight are a bummer but pretty much along the lines of what you'd expect for a similar Class 3 bike with a 750 Wh battery from Specialized or R&M. That said, I personally wouldn't bother upgrading because I have the previous Class 3 bike that's less than a year old that I'm still quite happy with. But if had a friend buying a bike and they needed something fast with a big battery I would recommend considering it.

Tina from Gazelle North America here. 👋 The Verge selectively quoted our information provided. The Eclipse is the first Class 3 ebike with the Bosch Smart System edition of the Performance Line Speed platform with a step-through frame option. Too long for a headline perhaps. Think what you will of the price, but here's what's special/unique about the bike:
  • Our first step-through speed bike--this was a feat of engineering by our Dutch team to get a frame stiff and stable enough to meet our high testing standards. We have a unique double downtube design to pull this off.
  • We have our largest capacity battery yet at 750Wh but have managed to keep an active, semi-upright and most importantly comfortable geometry and not make a super long or insanely tall bike.
  • A new proprietary integrated stem/handlebar design with the Kiox 300 display built in
  • Our widest tires (60 mm), brightest headlighting, and best front suspension fork to date
  • A redesigned charge port cover design with convenient higher seat tube placement (we know everyone hates the plastic Bosch flap cover that is prone to tearing or not fitting properly)
  • On the T11+ drivetrain variant, we have our first 11 speed model with Shimano Deore XT
Hope this info is useful. Thanks for the interest in the new model

I just ordered one! My requirements were a Bosch 75-85 Nm motor, a Bosch 750 Wh battery, and step through design. I have a knee injury so all of these things are important to me. I also wanted a quality bike that I could rely on. I previously had a Specialized Como that had a failed motor and bad battery after only 3 1/2 years and the cost of the replacements (they won't do repairs) was prohibitive. While it is impossible to find data on reliability, I did find lots of anecdotal evidence that Gazelle and Bosch are both excellent. I am excited for my new bike and hope it lasts for many, many miles!

The Eclipse is the first Class 3 ebike with the Bosch Smart System edition of the Performance Line Speed platform with a step-through frame option.
With all the respect to Gazelle, I doubt it is first in US - R&M announce and made their 2024 models earlier this year, and they have i.e. Riese & Muller Nevo4 GT Vario HS bike, which is Class 3, Smart System, Performance Line Speed and Step-Through frame design. I think you don't need to be first - I always look at Gazelle as more affordable choice than R&M with comparable build and parts quality and superior history and heritage - this is why I am riding my trusty C380+ HMB. So please try continue to be cheaper than R&M. You still are, but instead of being 70-100% cheaper, now you are 30-40% cheaper only. Would my C380+ cost $6k back in 2021, I would probably pay $1-2k extra to get R&M instead, but $4.75k vs $7-8k was a big difference. Now the price difference is not that big anymore :(

With all the respect to Gazelle, I doubt it is first in US - R&M announce and made their 2024 models earlier this year, and they have i.e. Riese & Muller Nevo4 GT Vario HS bike, which is Class 3, Smart System, Performance Line Speed and Step-Through frame design. I think you don't need to be first - I always look at Gazelle as more affordable choice than R&M with comparable build and parts quality and superior history and heritage - this is why I am riding my trusty C380+ HMB. So please try continue to be cheaper than R&M. You still are, but instead of being 70-100% cheaper, now you are 30-40% cheaper only. Would my C380+ cost $6k back in 2021, I would probably pay $1-2k extra to get R&M instead, but $4.75k vs $7-8k was a big difference. Now the price difference is not that big anymore :(
Agree with your comments. The other bike I considered was the R&M Nevo 4 and it came down to price. For comparable specs, R&M Nevo 4 $8,145 vs. Gazelle Eclipse $6,000.

Last edited:
I just ordered one! My requirements were a Bosch 75-85 Nm motor, a Bosch 750 Wh battery, and step through design. I have a knee injury so all of these things are important to me. I also wanted a quality bike that I could rely on. I previously had a Specialized Como that had a failed motor and bad battery after only 3 1/2 years and the cost of the replacements (they won't do repairs) was prohibitive. While it is impossible to find data on reliability, I did find lots of anecdotal evidence that Gazelle and Bosch are both excellent. I am excited for my new bike and hope it lasts for many, many miles!
I don’t find the Bosch motor to be any more reliable than the current Specialized/Brose motor. The reality is that all e-bike motors should be better and easier to service by the end user.

I don’t find the Bosch motor to be any more reliable than the current Specialized/Brose motor.
They don't - both are top-quality e-bike motors. Choosing one is a matter of preference (I don't think there are ebike brands offering models with both from Bosch and Brose) and availability.

Back