Ultimate T10+ Second Wheel Set

sansbyte

Region
USA
I want a second set of wheels so I can change out tires more easily. I want another set of the same wheels or something equivalent, but searching for online leads me down rabbit holes. I simple want the same wheels or something equivalent. Does anyone know of a source for these wheels? I searched for "Ryde Hungary" but that company only appears to be the manufacturer of the rims and not full wheels.

1701753101130.png

This does not look like an easy cake. Here is the rim itself:

Manufacturers such as Gazelle order the rims, hubs, and spokes in big quantities and build the e-bike wheels themselves. The e-bike wheels of the "Gazelle class" are usually non standard because these are not road/gravel or MTB wheels you could easily buy in the aftermarket.

I was in the position I needed a new rear wheel for my Vado (which is not that different from the T10+, the same tale). Specialized said it could deliver a replacement wheel within several months at high cost. So I visited my most local bicycle store (which can build bicycle wheels) and the guy told me: "I will give you some hints about your wheel but please do your homework; when you have made your decision, please buy the parts and come back to me; then I will build your wheel".

The full story: Building A New Wheel Is A Nightmare
The outcome

I can recommend you talk to a professional wheel builder; they know their trade.

Last edited:
If you are wanting completed wheels there is no need to necessarily limit your search to wheels made with Ryde rims. I would call some of the local bike shops where you live to see who may be able to help you.

I was in a similar position a few years ago when I wanted to be able to replace the tubular sew up tires with clincher tires on an old 10 speed I had. My son at the time was wanting to use the bike and it was not worth the hassle of staying with tubular tires. A local bike shop was able to help me out and rebuilt the wheels using my existing hubs.

I still have some interest in building a wheel set myself but as Stefan Mikes eluded the learning curve would be a significant obstacle. Maybe someday.

I bought a set of shimano wheels to use on road for my eMTB. Not as robust as factory cube wheels which I use for MTBing but not given me any issues. Not even a broken spoke and bike spents lot of time in turbo mode thanks to dongle.

I bought a set of shimano wheels to use on road for my eMTB.
Was the hub spacing and the axle size identical for both sets?
The issue with regular "full power commuter e-bikes" is these do not usually have the standard wheel hubs or rims. The issue with the Gazelle is the manufacturer even does not give the wheel parameters, which is so different with some other brands.

1701857596759.png

Gazelle spec for the T10+ wheels... Hardly any information.

1701858183688.png

Specialized spec for Vado 4.0. The only missing information is the inner rim width (but that can be easily measured). It is the standard MTB front hub and the rear hub is MTB Boost standard, a 27.5" wheel with 32 spokes.

1701857738417.png

Specialized spec for Vado SL 5.0. Based on these specs, you could buy or build a spare wheelset. It is the Road Boost standard.

Last edited:
Gazelle spec for the T10+ wheels... Hardly any information.

View attachment 167734
It is too bad that Gazelle does not provide more details on their products. I called into Gazelle USA offices with a question, and they were very helpful. It might be worth a call to see if additional wheel specs are available. Short of that it would seem to be possible to simply get the measurements off the existing wheels and frame. A quick google search pulled up some quick resources. Here is one example:

https://www.halowheels.com/faqs/frame-spacing-hub-o-l-d-information/

Short of that it would seem to be possible to simply get the measurements off the existing wheels and frame.
Of course. That was, however, not my point. My point was it is usually not easy to find ready spare wheels for your e-bike.

If you, for instance, own a proper e-MTB, we might assume its wheels belong to some popular standard and you might find a spare wheelset, only adding a proper speed magnet (for 6-bolt or Centerlock brake rotor).

It might not be that easy for a road or gravel e-bike. For instance, most of gravel bike rear hubs are 12x142 mm. Assume your rear hub is Road Boost (12x148 mm) and suddenly you find out you are out of choices and cannot buy the ready wheel you need.

Now, the commuter-like e-bikes such as Gazelle or Specialized Vado/Como come with hubs of less popular standards but the worst is their inner rim width, which is neither MTB nor road/gravel. You simply cannot buy ready wheels in that size as they are not available in the aftermarket!

Assume your rear wheel is equipped with an IGH - you can give up at that moment! Ever thought of a spare wheel set for an IGH e-bike? :) (It is totally impractical).

Back