DOST bikes - the (very) good and the (appalingly) bad

Utaguchi

Region
USA
I have owned a DOST Drop for a year. The bike itself I am very pleased with — performs well, with few problems. In particular the power of the motor is very effective for my hilly location and the second battery gives a very decent range, even given the steep terrain. It’s a little pricy but not the most expensive and justified by the performance, I believe. Also the customizability of the motor controls using a cheap, readily available and easily usable programming cable/controller has been a big plus.

In stark contrast, customer service is inconsistent and sometimes appallingly bad - for example not responding to emails or messages for several months. Worst of all the very poor experience which other users appear to have had with ordering accessories has been entirely borne out in my case. I ordered multiple accessories (bag, phone holder, bottle, lock, spare battery etc) at the time of purchase - and in spite of paying for them, I am still waitingfor half of them a year later! Excuses and promises have ranged from “will arrive soon”, “supply chain problems”, “we will let you know” to simply not responding To requests for updates or refunds. I believe that these business practices are in breach of Canadian consumer law and have launched a complaint with the British Columbia office of consumer protection, which was relatively simple to do. I have also written a polite and constructive letter to the DOST CEO sharing my experience, asking for an explanation and offering advice as a fan of the bike — with no reply.

My advice to other potential buyers is simple: you will likely not be disappointed by the bike, but do not buy accessories from DOST. All of the accessories (identical designs) are available immediately from Amazon or Alibaba at a fraction of the price, albeit without the DOST logo.

From what I've read on this forum I wouldn't recommend anyone purchasing a bike or bike accessories from DOST.
I think they're in financial trouble and wouldn't be surprised if they cease operations in the near future, which is a real shame.

From what I've read on this forum I wouldn't recommend anyone purchasing a bike or bike accessories from DOST.
I think they're in financial trouble and wouldn't be surprised if they cease operations in the near future, which is a real shame.
It’s not just this forum. Read google reviews. I think financial trouble is putting it mildly.

I have owned a DOST Drop for a year. The bike itself I am very pleased with — performs well, with few problems. In particular the power of the motor is very effective for my hilly location and the second battery gives a very decent range, even given the steep terrain. It’s a little pricy but not the most expensive and justified by the performance, I believe. Also the customizability of the motor controls using a cheap, readily available and easily usable programming cable/controller has been a big plus.

In stark contrast, customer service is inconsistent and sometimes appallingly bad - for example not responding to emails or messages for several months. Worst of all the very poor experience which other users appear to have had with ordering accessories has been entirely borne out in my case. I ordered multiple accessories (bag, phone holder, bottle, lock, spare battery etc) at the time of purchase - and in spite of paying for them, I am still waitingfor half of them a year later! Excuses and promises have ranged from “will arrive soon”, “supply chain problems”, “we will let you know” to simply not responding To requests for updates or refunds. I believe that these business practices are in breach of Canadian consumer law and have launched a complaint with the British Columbia office of consumer protection, which was relatively simple to do. I have also written a polite and constructive letter to the DOST CEO sharing my experience, asking for an explanation and offering advice as a fan of the bike — with no reply.

My advice to other potential buyers is simple: you will likely not be disappointed by the bike, but do not buy accessories from DOST. All of the accessories (identical designs) are available immediately from Amazon or Alibaba at a fraction of the price, albeit without the DOST logo.
At least you have your ebike. We prepaid $4,692 on 12/22, asked for a REFUND 9/23, today is 12/22/23
NO BIKE NO REFUND. We have filed a complaint w the fraud dept w local police, our VISA CC, BBB in BC, our local TV stations etc. On today’s ”TO DO” list (while baking, cleaning, wrapping presents for Christmas, house guests arriving tomorrow) I must call CBC News investigate Dept, lawyer. Merry Christmas Sam, hope you enjoy your holiday.

Wow, had I known, I never would have sent them 4K on 8/30/23 ( which is still gone, but under “investigation by my credit card). Dost continued to send out slick email marketing the almost entire year while your money was sitting in their pocket and they sucked in other buyers, like me.
Merry Christmas, Henry Hoag, for taking my money knowing I’d end a loser.

A follow up to my review.
Even after my complaints to the Better Business bureau and BC office of consumer protection, and follow up from each of these organizations, as well as further follow up from myself, I have heard nothing further from the company at all.
In spite of maintaining a good opinion of the bike itself, considering my own experience and that of others, I conclude that this is not a company one should do business with.
I have learned an expensive lesson - which is consider both the product and the company. For my wife’s bike we will therefore be looking to one of the more established brands who are likely to continue to be around and have built a good reputation for customer service.

Back