Just bought my first e-bike

bamabradt77

Region
USA
Just purchased a Freesky Alaska e-bike. Have had a couple weeks and i have nearly 180 miles on it so I have reached just about the break-in period. I ride about 65% paved bike paths and 35% single-track mountain trails with rocks, roots, stumps and some hill climbs.

Extremely easy bike to ride. It has a tremendous amount of power and easily maintains 33+mph in highest pedal assist mode (level 5). It also has amazing range. I have ridden 20+ miles at pedal assist 2, 3 and 4 with predominant level 3 and still have all four bars of power showing when I get back to the house. If I ride extended periods at pedal assist 4 and 5, the highest levels, and when I am climbing the mountains, it does wear the battery down much faster, but even still, I could probably get 40+ miles at those levels.

It does the fields and well-groomed dirt trails very well. Where it struggles a bit is when I get into the technical single-track trails. It is a very heavy bike and it does not have the ground clearance needed for the rocks and stumps. I find myself bottoming out quite a bit in the rough areas. The suspension is good, but the ground clearance and the extreme weight of the bike make it a bit of a challenge to navigate the rougher terrain. Also, it does not do dirt hill climbs very well. Loses momentum and stalls on the steeper climbs, especially in the rougher terrain. Get some slippage as well. It has the 4" fat tires but I would say the tires are much more suited to well-groomed grass and dirt rather than rough terrain. The knobby tread is not very deep. Also, the tires recommend the air pressure at 30psi. However, in the rough terrain and rocks, this seems way too high. I dropped it down to 12psi today to try it at lower pressures and it was a stark difference. I did not get the tremendous vibrations through the seat and handlebars the way I did at 30psi. It runs great on the roads and paved bike paths at 30psi, no issue, but I think that is too high for the trails. Any advice? I do believe 12psi may be a little too low, but if you all have any suggestions, please let me know.

All I can say is I am having an absolute blast on this e-bike!!! I may sound a bit "critical" but 90% of what I ride, it does extremely well and I am very pleased with the bike!!!

Just purchased a Freesky Alaska e-bike. Have had a couple weeks and i have nearly 180 miles on it so I have reached just about the break-in period. I ride about 65% paved bike paths and 35% single-track mountain trails with rocks, roots, stumps and some hill climbs.

Extremely easy bike to ride. It has a tremendous amount of power and easily maintains 33+mph in highest pedal assist mode (level 5). It also has amazing range. I have ridden 20+ miles at pedal assist 2, 3 and 4 with predominant level 3 and still have all four bars of power showing when I get back to the house. If I ride extended periods at pedal assist 4 and 5, the highest levels, and when I am climbing the mountains, it does wear the battery down much faster, but even still, I could probably get 40+ miles at those levels.

It does the fields and well-groomed dirt trails very well. Where it struggles a bit is when I get into the technical single-track trails. It is a very heavy bike and it does not have the ground clearance needed for the rocks and stumps. I find myself bottoming out quite a bit in the rough areas. The suspension is good, but the ground clearance and the extreme weight of the bike make it a bit of a challenge to navigate the rougher terrain. Also, it does not do dirt hill climbs very well. Loses momentum and stalls on the steeper climbs, especially in the rougher terrain. Get some slippage as well. It has the 4" fat tires but I would say the tires are much more suited to well-groomed grass and dirt rather than rough terrain. The knobby tread is not very deep. Also, the tires recommend the air pressure at 30psi. However, in the rough terrain and rocks, this seems way too high. I dropped it down to 12psi today to try it at lower pressures and it was a stark difference. I did not get the tremendous vibrations through the seat and handlebars the way I did at 30psi. It runs great on the roads and paved bike paths at 30psi, no issue, but I think that is too high for the trails. Any advice? I do believe 12psi may be a little too low, but if you all have any suggestions, please let me know.

All I can say is I am having an absolute blast on this e-bike!!! I may sound a bit "critical" but 90% of what I ride, it does extremely well and I am very pleased with the bike!!!
Congrats! Welcome to the Club!

Welcome aboard! Glad you're really enjoying your ebike. Seems like a lot of that goes on here. Maybe that's why the positivity's so high.

Back