Superdelite Mountain Rohloff for Road Riding?

Nickb

Region
USA
Would love to hear opinions on the Superdelite Mountain Rohloff for primarily road riding. I live in Venice Beach, CA and ride 4-5 times weekly 10 mile rides on the boardwalk (cement).

I also plan on doing longer rides and some trail riding. Currently loving my Vanmoof S3 but looking for an upgrade in terms of both comfort and reliability.

Yes I know it's overkill lol. I considered the Superdelite Touring but am looking at a second hand mountain version that makes the decision easier. Also looked at other R&M models but keep coming back to the Superdelite as a sort of ultimate choice...

Would love to hear opinions on the Superdelite Mountain Rohloff for primarily road riding. I live in Venice Beach, CA and ride 4-5 times weekly 10 mile rides on the boardwalk (cement).

I also plan on doing longer rides and some trail riding. Currently loving my Vanmoof S3 but looking for an upgrade in terms of both comfort and reliability.

Yes I know it's overkill lol. I considered the Superdelite Touring but am looking at a second hand mountain version that makes the decision easier. Also looked at other R&M models but keep coming back to the Superdelite as a sort of ultimate choice...

Nothing wrong with putting some more road oriented tires on a SD MTB, or running knobbies on the road for that matter. Biggest differences in the MTB version is they're all Performance CX motors, burlier suspension spec, traditional stem/cockpit, and no fenders. What year is the second hand model? Mileage?

Hey Nick.
I can’t comment on the Superdelite, but I’ve had a SuperCharger 2 for a few months now. It has Rolhoff gearing with Schwalbe johnny watts tyres.
I’ve only done light off road trails but it is rock solid and the front suspension is good enough to make it comfy.
Its main use is as a daily commuter and is brilliant on the roads/cycle paths.
It was a big extravagant spend, but I definitely don’t have buyer’s remorse… I love it!

Good luck in your search!

Hi Nick,
Well, my wife and I just moved from Van Moof X2 and S2 to Homage4 and Delite4 with Enviolo.
My S2 encountered a major electronic failure last week, so, with no service anymore from Van Moof, timing was perfect.
The difference in power and comfort is tremendous.
I was a bit afraid of the size and weight of the bikes. We park them in a closed parking lot in third basement, and bring them there via an elevator. I have to put my Delite vertically on its rear wheel to fit it in, but after a few days practice, it is pretty easy. I am rather big, which helps.
Main usage is commuting twice / three times a week (38 km two ways for her, 56 km for me) + all week-end rides (food market, museum, concerts, friends and so on, about 2x 40 km)). We both ride much faster than with the Van Moof, and with much less fatigue, thanks FS.
I thought it was a bit early to provide a feedback, but since you are considering an equivalent move, please benefit from our first feelings for your choice. ;-)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with putting some more road oriented tires on a SD MTB, or running knobbies on the road for that matter. Biggest differences in the MTB version is they're all Performance CX motors, burlier suspension spec, traditional stem/cockpit, and no fenders. What year is the second hand model? Mileage?
2023 minimal miles
Hi Nick,
Well, my wife and I just moved from Van Moof X2 and S2 to Homage4 and Delite4 with Enviolo.
My S2 encountered a major electronic failure last week, so, with no service anymore from Van Moof, timing was perfect.
I was a bit afraid of the size and weight of the bikes. We park them in a closed parking lot in third basement, and bring them there via an elevator. I have to put my Delite on its rear wheel to fit it in, but after a few days practice, it is pretty easy. I am rather big, which helps.
Main usage is commuting twice / three times a week (38 km two ways for her, 56 km for me) + all week-end rides (food market, museum, concerts, friends and so on, about 2x 40 km)). We both ride much faster than with the Van Moof, and with much less fatigue, thanks FS.
I thought it was a bit early to provide a feedback, but since you are considering an equivalent move, please benefit from our first feelings for your choice. ;-)
Funny enough my S3 started acting up today. I had planned a 10 mile ride before I went to look at R&M bikes and the S3 wouldn't downshift. I figure it's a sign 😂. I did get a change to try the Homage today and it is insanely comfortable, also the Mixte (also insanely comfortable). Wonder how the geometry of the Superdelite and comfort compares to the Mixte/Homage. Love how upright they ride...
Hopefully the new Vanmoof owner will open up service options soon! Still love that bike.

2023 minimal miles

Funny enough my S3 started acting up today. I had planned a 10 mile ride before I went to look at R&M bikes and the S3 wouldn't downshift. I figure it's a sign 😂. I did get a change to try the Homage today and it is insanely comfortable, also the Mixte (also insanely comfortable). Wonder how the geometry of the Superdelite and comfort compares to the Mixte/Homage. Love how upright they ride...
Hopefully the new Vanmoof owner will open up service options soon! Still love that bike.
SD MTB will be significantly more aggressive in direct comparison to the Homage. Granted both bikes are plenty "comfy" compared to a race bike, but the Homage is intended to give a very upright riding position, especially with the comfort option.

2023 with low miles at a discount is certainly a good bargain, but do you want the bike that works best for you, or the best "deal"? I usually suggest that it's better to find the right bike versus the best deal, that is if you want to actually ride and enjoy it ;)

SD MTB will be significantly more aggressive in direct comparison to the Homage. Granted both bikes are plenty "comfy" compared to a race bike, but the Homage is intended to give a very upright riding position, especially with the comfort option.

2023 with low miles at a discount is certainly a good bargain, but do you want the bike that works best for you, or the best "deal"? I usually suggest that it's better to find the right bike versus the best deal, that is if you want to actually ride and enjoy it ;)
lol I hear you…I’m sure I could find a more ideal bike, though the mix of road and trail abilities is hard to beat. SD was my initial first choice. If price was no consideration I’d probably do best with one of each. To be clear I thought the homage was too comfortable if you want to call it that, bouncy and very upright. I didn’t feel the road much. The mixte was almost as plush but felt more responsive and felt more “fun” to ride.

lol I hear you…I’m sure I could find a more ideal bike, though the mix of road and trail abilities is hard to beat. SD was my initial first choice. If price was no consideration I’d probably do best with one of each. To be clear I thought the homage was too comfortable if you want to call it that, bouncy and very upright. I didn’t feel the road much. The mixte was almost as plush but felt more responsive and felt more “fun” to ride.

I'd also encourage considering the Delite family too, even with the single battery the range can be pretty significant. There should be some good deals out there too with the revamp of that model family. What size bike are you looking at? Was the Homage a Vario model or Rohloff?

I'd also encourage considering the Delite family too, even with the single battery the range can be pretty significant. There should be some good deals out there too with the revamp of that model family. What size bike are you looking at? Was the Homage a Vario model or Rohloff?
Are you referring to the Bosch smart system? Or is something else significant being changed? Homage was Rohloff. Size 51 I believe on the delite (I’m 6’ 1/2” so borderline but heard the 51 worked well for my size).

I like this one. You can ride this one on any surface.
20mph capable with 500w motor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231101_190607_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231101_190607_Chrome.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 64
Are you referring to the Bosch smart system? Or is something else significant being changed? Homage was Rohloff. Size 51 I believe on the delite (I’m 6’ 1/2” so borderline but heard the 51 worked well for my size).
The Delite has been updated to smart system, larger main battery and ability to add on the new Bosch range extender. What I was suggesting is there are some really good deals on the "outgoing" Delite.

51cm is a good size for your height, IMO!

The Delite has been updated to smart system, larger main battery and ability to add on the new Bosch range extender. What I was suggesting is there are some really good deals on the "outgoing" Delite.

I tested a 47cm Delite today, really fun ride, of course too small, but not so small that I have any doubt the 51cm will fit well. Is it possible to remove one battery from the Superdelite? Seems like an easy solution if so?

I tested a 47cm Delite today, really fun ride, of course too small, but not so small that I have any doubt the 51cm will fit well. Is it possible to remove one battery from the Superdelite? Seems like an easy solution if so?
Absolutely, you can remove either battery and the bike will work just fine. I'd invest in the R&M transport covers that will replace the battery and cover up the hole in the frame!

It’s a great piece of kit. The Mountain has different gearing than the standard SD - hill climbing is much easier! Upgrades I recommend - consider shorter crank arms to eliminate ground strike, put new better quality pedals on, and finally, grab a leather Brooks saddle - hard at first but very comfy long distance once broken on. Oh, and mirrors for the road and a bell for pedestrians.

It’s a great piece of kit. The Mountain has different gearing than the standard SD - hill climbing is much easier! Upgrades I recommend - consider shorter crank arms to eliminate ground strike, put new better quality pedals on, and finally, grab a leather Brooks saddle - hard at first but very comfy long distance once broken on. Oh, and mirrors for the road and a bell for pedestrians.
I did my first ride today and thought the belt was broken when I started at the lowest gear! going up the steepest hill on my usual ride almost felt like cheating. The crank arms don't seem to be an issue at all at least not yet. It has a manual bell, I could upgrade to an electronic if recommended? Mirrors are on the list for the comfort bar when it arrives. I've tried a B17 before but never survived the break in period 😆 Also am around 100mm sit bones so even the narrow B17 is a bit too wide at 151mm. Looking at some of the Specialized Mirror saddles as an easier option at 143mm. I may try the B17 Narrow at some point...

I have a bike fitting scheduled for the first week of December once I get the Comfort Kit handlebars installed (along with the stem that goes with it and the adapter for the Neon) and am expecting that to be a big help with comfort as I've never had a really comfortable bike set up before...

Hi Nick,
I was a bit afraid of the size and weight of the bikes. We park them in a closed parking lot in third basement, and bring them there via an elevator. I have to put my Delite vertically on its rear wheel to fit it in, but after a few days practice, it is pretty easy. I am rather big, which helps.
I thought it was a bit early to provide a feedback, but since you are considering an equivalent move, please benefit from our first feelings for your choice. ;-) DepiWhite Cream, a dermatologist-recommended solution for even skin tone, works to diminish dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Unveil brighter, smoother skin with the power of DepiWhite for a confident, radiant complexion.
Hi. I tried out a bunch of bikes recently and I realised that the bike I enjoy riding the most is a mountain bike due to the suspension and control I have. I would like to use a mountain bike with full fenders (to not get my work clothes dirty) and potentially a rear rack too. Is it easy to find these kind of fenders for thick tyres and to install them on a full suspension bike? I am unsure if I should convert a bike or derestrict a shelf e-bike.

@Nickb I see in your other thread on tyres that you changed out your stem for the standard Superdelite stem and handlebars. How easy was it, and photos please.

@Nickb I see in your other thread on tyres that you changed out your stem for the standard Superdelite stem and handlebars. How easy was it, and photos please.
I had my bike shop that also sells RM do the swap. Love the difference! The adjustable stem and shorter bar (I didn’t do comfort bar) solved an inner elbow issue. Took them a few hours though.

Back