Suntour NCX SP12 preload question

Yossarian

Region
USA
Hello all -- I've recently purchase a Suntour NCX SP12 suspension seat post, and am setting it up for the first time. I realize that getting the preload setting correct is a bit of a "dial-it-in" exercise, but I thought I'd ask folks that I consider experienced how they have their preload set up.

Below are three photos.

Top = preload from factory

2nd = preload +1 turn clockwise (increase)

3rd = preload +2 turns clockwise (increase)

I'm wondering if anyone has a good photo of how their NCX looks when they have their preload set to 1/3 damping as instructed by the manual, or any advice on which of my photos may be the closest to "correct" preload on the unit.

Thanks in advance,

Y

20231030_165532.jpg

20231030_165715.jpg

20231030_171626.jpg

Welcome aboard! I'll be interested to hear what the "experts" say. Don't recall how many turns of the preload screw I finally settled on, and no idea if it could be better for the riding I do.

As it is, my NCX definitely helps on bigger bumps but doesn't seem to do much for the chatter of, say, a 15 mph ride on lightly rutted hardpack.

Welcome aboard! I'll be interested to hear what the "experts" say. Don't recall how many turns of the preload screw I finally settled on, and no idea if it could be better for the riding I do.

As it is, my NCX definitely helps on bigger bumps but doesn't seem to do much for the chatter of, say, a 15 mph ride on lightly rutted hardpack.
I started out with NCX SP12 with my hardtail Radrover and had similar results. Perfect for larger bumps; but, still felt smaller cracks, bumps, chatter (road/sidewalk cracks, washboard dirt trails, uneven pavement, etc...). I switched to Cirrus Kinekt Bodyfloat a year later and that was a noticeable improvement with the "chatter". I think because you still have a direct physical connection with the SP12 spring compared to more isolation and "floating" with the ebike moving under you with the Cirrus Kinekt Bodyfloat system. I just couldn't get the SP12 dialed in for most situations with work commuting or single track riding like I could with the "set it and forget it" Kinekt Bodyfloat.

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask a stupid question about the Suntour. I purchased the NCX a few years ago to use on a bike I no longer have. I forgot about it but found it in my storage closet today with a saddle attached so I thought I'd give it a try again. I downloaded the manual for recommendations on setting the pre-load but discovered that the official assembly instructions have the post in the opposite direction of every demo or illustration I've seen elsewhere. The 1st screenshot is from the manual and the 2nd from a YT review but it's the same as a thousand other user and online store pictures. Why does the manual have the NCX in front?

Attachments

• Screenshot_16-6-2024_2285_.jpeg
    Screenshot_16-6-2024_2285_.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 24
  • vlcsnap-2024-06-16-22h34m58s627.jpg
    vlcsnap-2024-06-16-22h34m58s627.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I've been riding my NCX for years with it to the rear. I don't think seat suspension would operate properly with NCX to the front. I think the manual writer made a mistake.

I've been riding my NCX for years with it to the rear. I don't think seat suspension would operate properly with NCX to the front. I think the manual writer made a mistake.
Yes, the Occams Razor explanation is likely correct, and might also explain why few users read the manual: It's simpler to watch somebody on Youtube install his or hers, which is likely what I did a few years ago. I had it set up the way you have it, with the NCX in the rear.

I'd like to give this thing another "go" again. In the past, it did nothing for me either in a positive or negative way, which is why I went back to the manual yesterday. I never changed the default preload setting originally on mine since I was led to believe that my 165 lb. weight was within the recommended factory setting. (If the manufacturer's manual places the seat backwards, maybe I should have ignored the manual altogether).

Over the weekend I switched bikes for a short time with someone in my riding group who had the Lectric Lite with the comfort package. (We have the Lite in my family too but I did not order it with that option. I only rode the bike once or twice myself). I don't know what brand of suspension Lectric uses but the suspension was immediately noticeable on the dirt road we cycled on.

So...Is the correct preload setting for the NCX best determined by trial and error?

Last edited:
I downloaded the manual for recommendations on setting the pre-load but discovered that the official assembly instructions have the post in the opposite direction of every demo or illustration I've seen elsewhere. The 1st screenshot is from the manual and the 2nd from a YT review but it's the same as a thousand other user and online store pictures. Why does the manual have the NCX in front?

I have the same seatpost and checked the manual, and the seatpost is actually installed correctly.
The seat moves down and back as the suspension compresses,..

Screenshot_20240617-090147_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

For some reason, the post in the manual has the NCX logo on the front instead of the back like all the seatposts they sell. 😂

Maybe it's an older or newer model or for a different market or something, but they should fix the pictures in their manual.
That's just stupid.

My post is the same as yours.

20230606_114852.jpg

So...Is the correct preload setting for the NCX best determined by trial and error?

That's what I did after reading reviews of the seatpost.
Many people found that the spring is WAY too stiff and they couldn't even loosen it up enough, so they replaced it with a softer spring.

Screenshot_20230607-125322_Amazon_Shopping-1.jpg

I loosened mine off until the seat started to sag, then snugged it up about 1 turn.

I backed it right off to check the clearance of my rack to make sure it wouldn't hit a battery if it was strapped to the rack.

20240422_142456.jpg
20240422_142330.jpg

,.. I was led to believe that my 165 lb. weight was within the recommended factory setting.

It's probably another typo.
It's probably supposed to say 265 lb. 😂

I have mine loosened right off, and I've never bottomed out the suspension post.
I'm sure that I'd feel and hear the clunk if it were to hit.

Guys
If I can ask a question,
When you bought you NCX seat post, what colored spring did yours have.
I have bought 2 of these seat posts and both have had the Silver colored spring with the Black shrink wrap on the spring.
I think, we need the Blue spring for a softer ride, as the silver spring is very hard.
Tia,

I bought mine on AliExpress and it shipped from China, but I think it's real?

20240618_000912.jpg
20240618_000937.jpg
20240618_001010.jpg
20240618_001103.jpg

Even if it's not real, it's been working fine for almost a year and a half with over 5000 km on it.

So I went ahead and took a chance on a fake Suntour Air Fork from Amazon,..

Screenshot_20240618-002317_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I got the last one,..

Back