specialized creo 2

Specialized recommends no less than 700x38 tires, so whether it'd pass a road bike depends on what tire size you'd like to use...

I also find it interesting they reference an alloy framed Creo 2 ...

1696275887765.png

Funny:
1696277794335.png

Because the standard charts read:
1696277671479.png

The same Specialized uses the wheel circumference of 2180 mm for far skinnier 700x38c tyres...

Funny:
View attachment 163779
Because the standard charts read:
View attachment 163778

The same Specialized uses the wheel circumference of 2180 mm for far skinnier 700x38c tyres...

2150 seems to be the default wheel circumference setting in the TCU or motor or wherever it lives.

My 2022 Creo E5 came with 700x28c tires and a 2150mm Wheel Circumference setting. When I switched to 42mm tires I measured circumference and had my LBS change the figure since only dealers can do so.

2150 seems to be the default wheel circumference setting in the TCU or motor or wherever it lives.
Specialized is known to make weird default wheel circumference setting in their e-bikes. Don't worry: Giant does the same :)
It is good we can ask the dealer for the change. Anyway, the 2150 mm for Creo 2 is either a very wrong default setting, or it is a typing mistake in the web page because I'd say the 700x47c tyre might have the wheel circumference of 2250 mm.

I am a Specialized fan but cannot fail noticing the company is as big as "The left hand is unaware what the right one is doing" (an old Polish proverb) :D

P.S. It took Specialized as many as 4 years before someone realized the default wheel circumference for Vado 6.0 was 2255 instead of 2300 mm... (it was corrected in a firmware update in 2021). It was also the time I realized the Mission Control could display fixed values instead of real data if you compared them to the dealer's Turbo Studio.

Last edited:
Is this a good or bad thing
It is a good thing. The current Creo 2 is all carbon. It makes the e-bike price high while many of us (especially heavy persons) would be perfectly happy with the less expensive aluminium version of the e-bike (which, hopefully, could be released in the future).

I had the original Creo and I did not like it as a road bike because of the 1X drivetrain, too many gaps in the cassette.

I also didn't like the non-standard spacing for the wheels. I didn't want to pop for an expensive set of carbon wheels knowing that the only bike they would fit would be a Creo.

Because of those two issues, I sold the bike and if I get an electric road bike to replace it, I definitely won't be considering the Creo.

I was reading about this on another forum. Where they state the BB will be too low, there are bikes on the market such as Cervelo that have an equally low BB. Will likely mean tall riders like me using 175mm cranks will have to watch out for crank strike, but I have not done that in many many years....

I had the original Creo and I did not like it as a road bike because of the 1X drivetrain, too many gaps in the cassette.

I also didn't like the non-standard spacing for the wheels. I didn't want to pop for an expensive set of carbon wheels knowing that the only bike they would fit would be a Creo.

Because of those two issues, I sold the bike and if I get an electric road bike to replace it, I definitely won't be considering the Creo.
Creo2 returned to normal hub spacing, so there's that aspect but it's also presently heavily aimed at gravel riding not road.

Not a lot of choices for 2x e-roadbike drivetrains unless you go with a hub-motor model, which again limits your wheel interchangeability. I think just some of the the newer Fazua and TQ equipped models have it. Certainly something to consider when choosing an e-roadbike.

I was reading about this on another forum. Where they state the BB will be too low, there are bikes on the market such as Cervelo that have an equally low BB. Will likely mean tall riders like me using 175mm cranks will have to watch out for crank strike, but I have not done that in many many years....
I find it pretty odd too -- geometry specs list the Creo2 BB drop at 80mm vs 78mm for the original.

<<Is this a good thing or a bad thing>>

Good thing! Don’t want a carbon bike, my current Creo (and virtually every other bike I’ve owned in the last thirty years or so) has been alloy, and I’m just used to it. Less cost is fine, too. Really, while I like this new version, I might have a hard time giving up my existing Creo. The increased power I realize I don’t really need anymore, after 4500 miles on this one has strengthened my legs far more than riding the full power bikes I had before (and still have one, but don’t use it much). The wider gear range would be nice, though, at times.

What's the logic behind the (potential) alloy frame allowing maximum sized tyres that are smaller than for the carbon frame? Smaller frame?

Not a lot of choices for 2x e-roadbike drivetrains unless you go with a hub-motor model, which again limits your wheel interchangeability. I think just some of the the newer Fazua and TQ equipped models have it. Certainly something to consider when choosing an e-roadbike.

i have to admit i was really surprised that there were 2x choices out there for mid-drive road bikes. the scott solace looks particularly nice. $8k for 12 speed di2, all carbon, etc. not a big fan of the groupset choices (sram) that bmc made, and the trek is just kind of ugly to my eyes. if i was in the market for a new electric road bike it would be a tough call between the scott and the new creo, assuming specialized's warning about not going smaller than 38mm on the tires turns out to be unnecessary.

Well - specialized gets my money again! I Plopped down for an Expert. My LBS is giving a decent return on the Creo 1 on trade, so I couldn't refuse.

I used the Creo 1 to much success racing some eGravel events in Colorado - this one looks competitive for that!

Interestingly, it is configured almost identically to how I set up the Creo 1 with the MTB mullet drivetrain.

I would have been on the top of the podium except for the lack of mud clearance for my tires! (I did win my age group). I'll run the new one next year and see how we do!

Attachments

• IMG_5798.jpg
    IMG_5798.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 189
Back