Yet another "Careful of DOST Bikes" warning

BCebiker

Region
Canada
I ordered the Drop CVT bike -- and payed the $2,000 deposit -- on May 17 and was told the bike would be available by the end of June. I was notified on May 31 that the shipment was delayed until sometime in August. I cancelled the order on July 8th and was promised a full refund within 10 business days.
When the next credit card bill arrived at the beginning of August showing no refund, I followed up with 2 further emails on August 15 & 17 but heard nothing back from them.
Here we are in September and there has still been no refund.
I've asked my credit card to investigate and I've filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau.
I live around 20 minutes from their office/showroom so my next course of action will be to go hang out there handing out warnings to potential customers and any delivery people (I've just retired so have time to do this.)

Last edited:
Hopefully, your credit card company can get back your deposit. One has to wonder if DOST is having some financial problems.
I recently purchased an ebike for my wife from Zen (located in Halifax) and couldn't be happier. They don't seem to have supply issues and Ravi (the owner) answers all of my email questions in a timely manner.
When you get back your deposit you may want to give their website a look.

Yes, I've heard of Zen and have corresponded with Ravi. They do seem like a very good company with a great product. Definitly recomend them over DOST. I believe Zen manufactures their bikes in Halifax and not overseas, so have better control over the whole supply chain issue.

I became aware of Dost in the context of googling Radpower (three years hence) and consistently and weirdly getting Dost as the first result.They’d somehow hijacked the Radpower results.When I complained to them about it,they answered “That means our plan is working.”

An update on my battle with DOST: I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. BBB reached out to DOST for their side of the complaint. Evidently DOST knows their actions are indefensible because they failed to reply. DOST now has a negative rating with BBB. I would suggest that anyone else who is having troubles with DOST also file a complaint with BBB. It's worth warning others so they too don't loose their money to DOST.

Although I'm always leery of brand bashing posts on the forum, I am grateful for this information on Dost.

I had been considering a Dost bike at one point but there have been enough negative reports to convince me to look elsewhere.

while a new member here I have been looking hard for a moderately priced e-bike with a belt drive…normally I research the heck out of products before pursing a buy….i did not do my homework and this company had all the shiny-objects to attract me. It’s always buyer beware sooooo I am out a deposit. I have filed with the FTC in the US and as I said will be making local consumer agencies aware. I thank this forum for allowing me to let people know that I too have had a negative experience with this company.

wow thats not good at all, i suspect they won't be in business much longer if there are some underlying issues taking place. i had honestly never heard of them but the website looks pretty impressive. sorry to hear you had such a poor experience!

How sad to read some of these negative reviews regarding Dost. I have been researching different mid-drive bikes for several months and kept coming back to Dost. There are so many things that held my attention that I was using their offering (Kope chain) as a benchmark while measuring others. Also, I listened to my LBS and the good things he had to say about them from a reliability standpoint of view.

So with all that in mind, I did purchase the Kope Chain... And have had it less than a week but with the Cleveland weather, I've only had the opportunity to ride it a few times. So, as far as a personal review goes I can't offer much at this time, except for how impressed I am with the power it has and the quality of the bike itself.

However... and there always seems to be a, however... the thing that gave me the most pause was the communication or lack thereof with the company. Not so much on a personal level, every time I called them I was able to get through and talk to someone regarding a general question I had. But when I was 1st talking to my LBS about Dost, he said he was getting in 8 new Dost bikes in the next few days... and that was 7 weeks before they actually showed up. At one point when he was trying to figure out where his bikes were, Dost just stopped returning calls or emails for almost 3 weeks, (or so I was told) and according to the LBS when they finally did hear back, they said it was due to a recent Covid outbreak they had, and they shut down for 2.5 weeks... with no notice to their dealers or post?

So, be that as it may... I still decided to make the purchase and that's mainly because of my LBS and my comfort with them if something were to go wrong with the bike being able to troubleshoot and fix the issue. There are so many manufacturers out there looking to make their mark and capture as much of the market as they can. I was told there are now over 400 bike manufacturers building e-bikes and would expect over the next few years that number will be greatly reduced... through many different factors, things such as mergers, bankruptcies, foreclosures, Etc.

Within these manufacturers, a sure-fire killer is, and always will be, the lack of customer service. I've stated before that I was in manufacturing for 44 years, selling high-end very specialized automation equipment. One of the companies I worked with had a great product line, the company was full of great people, and brilliant engineers, who could design just about anything to do with automation. However, (there's that word again) "the powers to be" figured, just because their product was a great design and checked a lot of boxes, it didn't make any difference if they missed deadlines, shipping dates, or returned customer's calls in a timely manner, and with that mindset, over the course of 5 years... due to a steady decline in business they ended up closing that division... it was truly a sad thing to watch happen.

So, the only negatives I really read about Dost are based around bad communications, where I think Dost has a great product, I hope they can pull it together for the sake of their customers and a long-lasting place in the market.

I ordered the Drop CVT bike -- and payed the $2,000 deposit -- on May 17 and was told the bike would be available by the end of June. I was notified on May 31 that the shipment was delayed until sometime in August. I cancelled the order on July 8th and was promised a full refund within 10 business days.
When the next credit card bill arrived at the beginning of August showing no refund, I followed up with 2 further emails on August 15 & 17 but heard nothing back from them.
I've asked my credit card to investigate and I've filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau.
I live around 20 minutes from their office/showroom so my next course of action will be to go hang out there handing out warnings to potential customers and any delivery people (I've just retired so have time to do this.)
Do you have an update on this? I would really appreciate it

Hi Dorthy-Absolutely zero from Dost. I did pursue this with my card issuer and though my claim was very late I received a return of funds-my deposit. I had a very lengthy record of communication and attempts at communication with the company and I think that helped the card issuer with their determinations. FWIW I think there are purchasers from Dost that are happy. I am speaking only to my experience. I have learned my lesson and I will be purchasing an e-bike from a r.eputable dealer with a bricks and motar location in the US. Good luck but if you buy online I suggest that you study carefully any new e-bike online seller. I should have done way more research rather than relying solely on reviews and glitzy ads….

To work outside OK
Hi Dorthy-Absolutely zero from Dost. I did pursue this with my card issuer and though my claim was very late I received a return of funds-my deposit. I had a very lengthy record of communication and attempts at communication with the company and I think that helped the card issuer with their determinations. FWIW I think there are purchasers from Dost that are happy. I am speaking only to my experience. I have learned my lesson and I will be purchasing an e-bike from a r.eputable dealer with a bricks and motar location in the US. Good luck but if you buy online I suggest that you study carefully any new e-bike online seller. I should have done way more research rather than relying solely on reviews and glitzy ads….
My LBS warned me about buying Dost because there are hundreds of new e-bikes that don’t have long reputations, but I wanted the drop CVT and didn’t heed their warning. I figured they just built a ‘better mousetrap’ and were a young company ( and so-what). Wrong. If my credit card will eat the 4K cost, I will do same as you. Long term bike shop, with a bike manufacturer that has been around a long time.
I want to be sure to say that I’m not knocking a Dost bike; I have have no opportunity to even find out how I like it. I think an infant company couldn’t cut the mustard and left me poorer and less trusting. Others had same experience on google reviews which I read too late :)

I ordered the drop CVT on 12/2022 and had to pay in full, never arrived so cancelled order asking
for a refund in 09/23.

Nothing yet. BEWARE OF DOST. Maybe targeting seniors?

I ordered the drop CVT on 12/2022 and had to pay in full, never arrived so cancelled order asking
for a refund in 09/23.

Oh, so this has been going on for much longer than my 8/30/23 phone order with Henry Hoang at Dost.
And it appears it wasn’t just an oops of terrible business practice, but a malicious theft.
Thanks for weighing in Dostponzi

for a refund in 09/23.

For the record, my credit card company did finally get my money back. All I needed was the one email from DOST stating that they would issue me a full refund ... the credit card company had proof of my original purchase and proof that the refund was missing and so the 1 email was all they needed to proceed.

I also urge you to complain to BBB to drive down their rating as a warning to others.

Best of luck on recovering all your lost money

I’m still waiting for my credit cards. “investigation”. They keep sending me the same form for the same info, and I respond and today asked them ‘what’s up with that?’
I’ll put a post here if they even make my $4000 credit permanent.

This company’s behavior borders on criminal. Very sad that that can get a platform on various social media and perpetuate their graft.

I was just at my LBS that sold me my Dost Kope Chain. I asked them what the deal was with Dost and why they were being so evasive. As I stated before... he said they closed down for almost 3 weeks due to COVID-19, which I didn't know closing your business was still a thing. Also, he said they told them they're at least two months behind, and that is due to the off-Shoremen strike, which if I am not mistaken, only lasted a hot minute.

Once again, open communication (even if it's not good news) is key to any business's success.

Back