Fatte Bikes (aka FattEbikes for search purposes) Review and warning

DenverDude

Region
USA
Warning of what to expect if you order through them.

We paid for two bikes on May 12th and were told it would be 4-6 weeks. At the 4 week mark, having not heard from them I tried to see if there was a portal on the website to check your order. The website was down so I emailed them and I was assured it might be another 4 weeks, but they’d let us know along the way and keep us updated.

In that time I received 2 or 3 emails asking us to invest, and we hadn’t signed up for the email campaign. I tried to remove myself 3 times, asking them to remove me, which I was assured I was. I received 2 more emails asking to invest with them. Finally they stopped after a couple of tersely worded emails and threats to rescind my order. When you’re waiting for an update on your super cool ebike that they promised they’d keep you in the loop on, and all you get is them asking you for more money, it sours you a bit.

At the 2 month mark I inquired again. At the 2.5 month mark I inquired again and was just given more excuses. Finally received my bike at the end of summer after THREE months. My wife’s bike wasn’t ready for another 2 weeks after that. That’s more than double the time they promised, without a single update unless you inquire. We had plans for those bikes during that time. At a normal bike shop, when you buy a bike, they tell you to come back X and then X to make sure the bike is working properly, all the things are tight. Not here. Once you ride away you just ride away. My bikes powder coat paint was done terribly, you can see the aluminum frame in some parts, and there’s a scratch BAKED into the frame itself. It's like this all over the bike, I get that it might be pedantic as it's so "custom built" but multiple places on their website they brag about the quality of their paint. There’s a cable that should be tied into place and it’s dangling right next to the gear on the crankset. The bike hunted for gears immediately. It’s that dragging sound when the gear isn’t engaged properly. After just 1 ride the headlight started coming undone. I inquired as to their warranty and they just asked me to drop it off, with no ETA as to when it would be looked at or be able to be picked up.

On the 4th charge, the battery died right as I was trying to leave for work. I was on their website looking for help/warranties when I noticed that they are installing larger batteries than we received (and we paid the extra $449 for bigger batteries) and I was told I can only swap like for like. I used the last of my patience with them to ask for the slightly larger battery that they would now be installing as we didn’t receive our bikes until they announced the larger batteries and because it took so long and the fit and finish sucked They wrote back saying that my options were like battery for like battery or they could keep my battery until the new ones arrived in 4-8 weeks. Effectively rendering this bike a paperweight until god knows when the battery would arrive. Real fun to pay almost $4k for a bike that you didn’t have all summer and probably won’t be able to ride until winter. So much for this thing replacing my car. Excellent customer retention by threatening to hold your bike hostage with no battery.

My wife’s bike also has paint flaws upon delivery, her custom grip color wasn't put on, instead she received basic black. We were told we’d need to stop by and pick them once they received them and install them ourselves, or have to leave the bike at a later date to have them installed. 3.5 months and you still can’t deliver the product that was paid for. In business you under promise and over deliver. They went the opposite route. I haven’t spent this much money and been so disappointed before. I have zero faith in their warranty. If you look at any negative review they blast people, saying they’re bots or didn’t have orders etc. It’ll be interesting to see their response to this. They have a C- rating on BBB. And a word about if you DO order with them. If you order the “puncture resistant tires with sealant + liners” you aren’t getting top of the line liners.

You’re getting the cheap $49 Amazon liners and $4 worth of tire slime for all that extra $129!! You really have to want this bike over another one sold locally. Their customer support is far from even being decent. At no point did they ever contact us except for asking for more money from us in the form of investing.

Screenshot 2022-08-27 102125.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-27 102210.jpg

When you Google "where can I bash an eBike manufacturer" does this site show up? Man we get a lot of new members that use their first post to bash a company. When you buy an unheard of eBike, what makes you think the customer service is top notch? Small companies take orders until they meet a minimum order quantity to buy a container from China. No surprise if you do some research. Did you buy these bikes based on price? Second mistake for you. They can sell cheaply because there is basically no staff to handle issues. Did you check how old the website was before you ordered. The biggest part of your list of complaints is very common in this price range. I'm saying you got exactly what you paid for, but I'm not taking the time to look up the price. Tough lesson for you.

Is this the company:

If so it says they are made in CO USA.

Shipping should not take that long but with the major rush to buy ebikes they may have gotten swamped.

Does not appear to be a fly by night reseller of cheap ebikes so I would try to work with them and see if they make things right.

When you Google "where can I bash an eBike manufacturer" does this site show up? Man we get a lot of new members that use their first post to bash a company. When you buy an unheard of eBike, what makes you think the customer service is top notch? Small companies take orders until they meet a minimum order quantity to buy a container from China. No surprise if you do some research. Did you buy these bikes based on price? Second mistake for you. They can sell cheaply because there is basically no staff to handle issues. Did you check how old the website was before you ordered. The biggest part of your list of complaints is very common in this price range. I'm saying you got exactly what you paid for, but I'm not taking the time to look up the price. Tough lesson for you.
Doesn't appear to be a reseller and made in US.

Assembled in the US, by one guy on a repair stand? That would imply a LBS, NOT a major company. They look like any other generic Chinese ebike, just that it is assembled here and not there. Thin difference in my opinion. They are not the low end supplier based on the premium prices charged. Likely just because of low volume. Their investment marketing is likely trying to improve that situation.

Assembled in the US, by one guy on a repair stand? That would imply a LBS, NOT a major company. They look like any other generic Chinese ebike, just that it is assembled here and not there. Thin difference in my opinion. They are not the low end supplier based on the premium prices charged. Likely just because of low volume. Their investment marketing is likely trying to improve that situation.

Exactly. I also hand assemble my bike out of the shipping box. Nothing of what I see on that site says they are anything more than a shipping container full of extremely marked up $500 Alibaba bikes.

The website says "made in the US".

"The FTC's Made in USA Labeling Rule took effect August 13, 2021 and prohibits claims that a product was made in the United States unless: Final assembly or processing of the product occurs in the United States, All significant processing that goes into the product occurs in the United States"

I am not defending the company and never heard of them either and just stating what their website says.
If you are sure they are lying then provide some evidence?

Most of their marketing seems based on they'll make any of their 4 models any color you want. So I'm guessing they just bring in boxes of parts, paint the frame, then add some other colored components. I'm sure no company ever stretches the truth on their little web site! Especially since they are #1 in custom electric bikes. On that page they say USA built. https://fattebikes.com

Um, that’s still smoke and mirrors.
When you Google "where can I bash an eBike manufacturer" does this site show up? Man we get a lot of new members that use their first post to bash a company.

As you turn around and bash the company without any evidence of your claims.

Just like you bash anyone that rides a class 3 ebike and doesn't agree with your clique rules that ebikes are not ebikes if they go more than 20mph and follow your state rules'.

Last edited by a moderator:

The lead picture of the co-owner pretty much tells most of the story. I have no beef with their claims of Made In The USA. They are pretty much no different that say, Haibike (my ebike is an H-Bike). They tout all of this German Engineering This and German Engineering That; yet when I got my bike off the shipping truck, I noted the German Engineered Haibike is made in Taiwan. Just exactly what was made in Germany? Maybe the battery decal graphics and that's it. Motor? Japan. Battery? Japan by way of China. Derailleurs? Japan. Tires? Schwalbes, Designed in Germany, made in Taiwan. The saddle and handlebars are specced by H-Bike but 99.999% chance it was made by somebody else in some other country. Maybe the paint was sourced in Deutschland, but I bet the pigments and binders came from some other country, too. It's just the way it is anymore with everything we buy.

To the original poster: Sorry to read of your sour experience. Some of us who have been around this forum for a good number of years are very familiar with the type of tale you have told. I hope you get your bikes sorted out and post up some ride reports, here on this site. Onto the bikes themselves: As an owner of a fat tired Haibike, I can report to you that there is no....I repeat......no tire liner on the market that is going to protect you against flats. I've done it all.....Mr Tuffy Liners.....Tubeless......Tannus Armour. Nope. Nope and Nope. Grip colors: Plenty of grips out on the open market with the color of your choice, though any serious to semi-serious bike riders here will recommend you worry less about color coordination and go for a quality grip that's gonna last.......like any grip from Ergon.

Derailleur "hunting?" Go to youtube, seek out the Park Tools website and look up "derailleur adjustment". I guarantee you with a little practice and Calvin Jones from Park Tools and your derailleur will be shifting quietly.

Loose headlight? A good opportunity for you to go to your local autoparts store and pick up a tube of Blue Loctite. Blue.....not the Red. Loctite is an anaerobic sealant that hardens in a zero air environment, aka your screw threads. Take the time to go over the bolts that hold your racks in place; your fenders, your headlight mount. After this is done, know that these items will not loosen up and fall off somewhere on your ride. And the beauty of Blue Loctite is, is that they nut and bolt can be removed with ordinary hand tools.

Invest in some good platform pedals and a good saddle; later on. You are at the mercy of Fatte regards the battery, motor and controller. But we have people around this site who more likely than not, know your ebike drive system and can lend help if you ever run in trouble. People like @tomjasz immediately comes to mind.

We see alot of people post something like your opening post; then they disappear. I guess my charge to you, @DenverDude, is to take stock of what you have, and with some of these recommendations, fix 'em. And report back here as to how it went.

As you turn around and bash the company without any evidence of your claims.

Just like you bash anyone that rides a class 3 ebike and doesn't agree with your clique rules that ebikes are not ebikes if they go more than 20mph and follow your state rules'.

There is a good reason most people have you on ignore.
you ride a class 4 or class X bike no matter now much you try to deny it. plus you use it as a scooter not a bike.

Tires? Schwalbes, Designed in Germany, made in Taiwan.
Indonesia, to be precise. Schwalbe has always made their tyres in Indonesia but that's a renowned brand. Nothing wrong with Taiwan, either. Specialized makes expensive bikes/e-bikes in Taiwan, Giant the same. Would not be surprised to learn Trek and Cannondale were manufacturing in Taiwan.

Far worse when it is a no-name e-bike made in China. (When you see something like 52V, 20 Ah for the battery, be sure it is a cheap Chinese battery. Big brands express the battery capacity in Wh; just a side-note).

Doesn't appear to be a reseller and made in US.

really lol? by US built they mean assembled in the US, those are clearly Chinese bikes using Chinese "Bafang" motors they are nothing more than another reseller looking for folks who dont do any research before buying. I know i sound like a broken record but if people would just take a few weeks even to watch reviews and read up on E_Bike it could save them a ton of misery and pain.

agree 100%!

The lead picture of the co-owner pretty much tells most of the story. I have no beef with their claims of Made In The USA. They are pretty much no different that say, Haibike (my ebike is an H-Bike). They tout all of this German Engineering This and German Engineering That; yet when I got my bike off the shipping truck, I noted the German Engineered Haibike is made in Taiwan. Just exactly what was made in Germany? Maybe the battery decal graphics and that's it. Motor? Japan. Battery? Japan by way of China. Derailleurs? Japan. Tires? Schwalbes, Designed in Germany, made in Taiwan. The saddle and handlebars are specced by H-Bike but 99.999% chance it was made by somebody else in some other country. Maybe the paint was sourced in Deutschland, but I bet the pigments and binders came from some other country, too. It's just the way it is anymore with everything we buy.

Derailleur "hunting?" Go to youtube, seek out the Park Tools website and look up "derailleur adjustment". I guarantee you with a little practice and Calvin Jones from Park Tools and your derailleur will be shifting quietly.

We see alot of people post something like your opening post; then they disappear.
^ Personally, I don't care if someone reviews and doesn't come back. It isn't an exclusive club, that I'm aware of. I came to do the same. WARN POTENTIAL BUYER THAT FATTE WILL RIP YOU OFF. IGNORE AT YOUR RISK:

Hard to know where to begin on this "journey" of nearly half a year. Placed order mid-May after given window of 4- 8 weeks. Was told *after* placing order that it will be closer to 8 weeks. SIXTEEN weeks later, friend went to pick it up and grips were wrong, seat was wrong (both are $$ upgrades), even lacking the seat mechanism for folding, which meant I'd have to take the bike apart to fold it or remove the battery to charge. Well, it's almost November now (22 weeks), and I still don't have it. They will whisper sweet nothings in your ear, put you off, not answer when you call, and you will hear the same "It's almost done!" over and over until you go mad. I took 3 trips this summer where I had to rent an ebike, after paying for my own months ago. I am now out of state, and had to pay Fatte shipping to the tune of almost $400, after being quoted $250. For 3 weeks now, I haven't been able to track it, as I found out TWELVE ebikes went missing. Mine was, of course, one of them. Who knows if I will ever see it, but if I can save just one naive person who believes their "our customer service is outstanding" bs, I can be at peace. This bike is- at best- assembled from the same foreign parts all others are made from. It should be fraudulent to say "Made in the USA." Save yourself the splitting headache of dealing with this terribly unethical group.

really lol? by US built they mean assembled in the US, those are clearly Chinese bikes using Chinese "Bafang" motors they are nothing more than another reseller looking for folks who dont do any research before buying. I know i sound like a broken record but if people would just take a few weeks even to watch reviews and read up on E_Bike it could save them a ton of misery and pain.

Back