E-bike Insurance

2fortheRoad

Region
USA
Hello! My husband & I have Electra Vale GO EQ S bikes that we purchased in January - they are a lot of fun to ride - we love them! Just wondering if anyone has purchased insurance for your Class 1 e-bike? We contacted our insurance company & were told they aren’t covered under our personal property insurance or our car insurance but they could cover them under a separate policy. I have seen a couple companies online that are just for E-bike insurance - does anyone have any experience with these companies that you could share?

Hello! My husband & I have Electra Vale GO EQ S bikes that we purchased in January - they are a lot of fun to ride - we love them! Just wondering if anyone has purchased insurance for your Class 1 e-bike? We contacted our insurance company & were told they aren’t covered under our personal property insurance or our car insurance but they could cover them under a separate policy. I have seen a couple companies online that are just for E-bike insurance - does anyone have any experience with these companies that you could share?
Good question. I am taking delivery of 2 Specialized Como 4.0 IGH bikes and a carrier this coming week. A very expensive transaction. I have asked my State Farm agent about coverage for things like theft, damage, and general liability.

My contents insurance covers eBikes up to £3500 only. As our R&Ms are over this, we’ve had to take out separate eBike insurance.

However, there are many companies in the U.K. providing this service now. But you do have to check carefully the cover they offer as this can vary considerably.

They all though, have specific requirements for bike security.

DG…

You may find these recent threads to be helpful:

(You may find more using the Search function; those just happen to be two that I knew about off the top of my head.)

Good luck!

I called my insurance company & asked, but it was kinda pricey. I forget how much but seems like it was more than a buck/day. That's getting up there to what I pay for truck insurance, so I declined.

Smith and Wesson provides a reasonable rate that you only have to buy once. However, batteries are not included. 😉

Regarding insurance, it's wise to explore options that specifically cater to e-bikes since they might have more tailored coverage for your needs. Companies dedicated to e-bike insurance often understand the unique aspects of these bikes better than general insurers.
When looking at insurance providers online, be sure to read reviews and compare coverage details to find the best fit. While your current insurer offers a separate policy, exploring other options can help you find the most comprehensive coverage at the best price.
I'd suggest checking out this Cycle insurance service. Remember, having insurance for your e-bikes can provide valuable protection, especially considering the investment and the fun you're having on them.

I called my USAA insurance company to see if my Home or Auto covers my Radrover ebikes. They told me my ebikes are covered under my home insurance and would be covered if I traveled in/out of state with them. I just needed to provide proof of purchase and documentation at claim time. This was back in 2017 and I haven't checked to make sure this hasn't changed since.

not too worried about insurance for theft especially as my bike gets older and worth very little, i am more concerned about liability and have found myself going MUCH slower on bike paths around walkers for that very reason. it's not a clear area at all regarding liability and i don't really want to test it. i also plan my routes to interact with cars as little as possible. will be interesting over the next few years to see how e-bike liability shakes out. IE: cruising down a path and injure a person or even crash into another bike. I know some paths say "no motor vehicles" but that isn't clear if that means e-bikes or motorcycles/ATV's. Such a gray area and i would really like to not find out.

not too worried about insurance for theft especially as my bike gets older and worth very little, i am more concerned about liability and have found myself going MUCH slower on bike paths around walkers for that very reason. it's not a clear area at all regarding liability and i don't really want to test it. i also plan my routes to interact with cars as little as possible. will be interesting over the next few years to see how e-bike liability shakes out. IE: cruising down a path and injure a person or even crash into another bike. I know some paths say "no motor vehicles" but that isn't clear if that means e-bikes or motorcycles/ATV's. Such a gray area and i would really like to not find out.
Personal liability is one reason why I took out a Markel policy, although these days I'm less concerned about the possibility of accidentally hitting a pedestrian on the path because like you I use my bell and ride slowly around them. I'm more concerned that drivers are both litigious and careless, so I want:
- liability, in case some driver screams about damage to his $40k car
- medical coverage, to offset the hardship if I have an accident and need to max out my Health insurance annual deductible
- uninsured motorist coverage, because some drivers don't care, won't stop, or exchange insurance details, and leave the scene before the police arrive.

Recently I was surprised to learn how difficult it is to find an insurer willing to offer coverage when riding an electric kick scooter. The interaction with a Progressive agent was particularly unpleasant when she quizzed me about riding both on and off road, I had honestly answered I would do both to avoid a driver encounter, to be told by 'Flo' "you have contradicted yourself during a recorded conversation", so I cancelled the policy and returned the e-scooter without riding it - I'm getting a Zizzo Liberte folding pedal bike instead to use as a last-mile ride on the days I don't want to haul my RadExpand on the subway to work, I should be able add it on my existing Markel bike insurance policy. Because I find that insurers won't issue a policy that reflects the reality of defensive riding is why I won't own or ride an electric kick scooter.

Back