Kiox 300 replaced Smartphone Hub - 2023 Trek 8s

Sefutau2020

Region
USA
City
Northern VA
The Bosch Kiox 300 is a game-changer for e-bikers, offering numerous benefits over the traditional Smartphone hub. Unlike the latter, which requires you to use your own phone, the Kiox 300 is a standalone device that doesn't drain your phone's battery or clutter up your handlebars with an unsightly gadget. I never liked nor could I get used to the Smartphone hub.

One of the key advantages of the Bosch Kiox 300 is the wealth of useful information it provides. With its easy-to-read color display, you can access real-time data such as speed, distance, battery life, and remaining range, allowing you to monitor your ride and plan accordingly. The Kiox 300 also provides insights into your fitness level, including heart rate and calories burned, helping you track your progress and optimize your workouts.

Here is a breakdown of the screens available:
  • Home Screen: The home screen of the Bosch Kiox 300 displays key information such as current speed, trip distance, trip time, and remaining battery range at a glance. It also shows the selected assistance level and a graphical representation of your power output.
  • Training Screen: The training screen provides fitness-related information, including heart rate, calories burned, and training duration. This screen is useful for riders who want to track their fitness goals and monitor their performance during workouts.
  • Trip Screen: The trip screen displays detailed trip information, including total distance, trip time, and average speed. It also shows a trip counter that can be reset, making it convenient for tracking individual rides or commutes.
  • Settings Screen: The settings screen allows you to customize various parameters of your e-bike, such as assistance levels, display brightness, language, and units of measurement. This screen provides options for personalizing your e-biking experience to suit your preferences.
  • Assistance Screen: The assistance screen shows the current assistance level of your e-bike, which can be adjusted up or down depending on your desired level of support. It also displays your power output in watts and provides a visual representation of the motor's assistance in real-time.
  • Error Screen: In case of any errors or warnings, the error screen will display relevant information about the issue, such as error codes or notifications, to help diagnose and troubleshoot any potential problems with your e-bike.
The device seems to be durable and reliable. In addition, the Bosch Kiox 300 offers seamless integration with Bosch e-bike connect app, providing enhanced performance and customization options. You can also turn your lights off and on when you want. Bosch/Trek should have included the Kiox 300 with the purchase of the bike and ditched the Smartphone Hub thingamajig.

For me, upgrading to this device has transformed the bike, and made it feel more closely to my Vado 4 with respect to usable accessible information while riding, and after my ride is finished. It took the LBS 10 minutes to install and replace the display screens, using one tool. There was NO need to drop the motor or anything. If you are hesitant to make the leap from the Smartphone Hub to the Kiox or Nyon displays, I would say pull the trigger, as it is worth the upgrade. I paid $280.00 US dollars for the Kiox 300 retrofit kit.

Overall in my opinion, the Bosch Kiox 300 is a superior choice over the Smartphone hub. It eliminates the need to rely on your phone, prevents battery drain, looks sleek and unobtrusive on your handlebars, and provides comprehensive and reliable information for an enhanced e-biking experience. Say goodbye to the hassle of using your phone while riding and upgrade to the Bosch Kiox 300 for a smarter, more convenient, and enjoyable e-biking adventure. Just my two cents…

2023 Trek 8s Bosch Kiox 300.jpg

Bosch/Trek should have included the Kiox 300 with the purchase of the bike and ditched the Smartphone Hub thingamajig.
Bosch should have never offered the Smartphone Hub with the Smart System. I thought Kiox 300 was the dedicated display for the Smart System. It looks the greediness of Trek showed up again. It is Bosch fault, too.

Bosch should have never offered the Smartphone Hub with the Smart System. I thought Kiox 300 was the dedicated display for the Smart System. It looks the greediness of Trek showed up again. It is Bosch fault, too.
the new system lets you exchange displays without new mounts. so far no display or the kiox and a smartphone holder and a nyon later. its a pretty good idea several choices without any new mounts or running wire.

Is the Kiox for system 2 ebikes new, or is it the Kiox that's been out for a number of years?
I just did a quick search and the two displays look to be very different in their functions.
I'd love to upgrade my Purion display......

Not sure, but they do look a little different. I would call the local Trek dealer and ask them if your specific bike is able to be updated. I know the retrofit kit came with the same controller that I have on the Trek 8s....so installation only involved about 10 or 15 minutes (mounting to the head tube and attaching two wires that were going into the Smartphone Hub)....very easy upgrade.

Hope this helps....

How good is navigation on the Kiox 300?

Ideally I would add a route via Strava on iOS and see directions on the Kiox screen. My concern is how well the Kiox communicates the turns and if it provides street names, etc.

I ordered a bike with the smart system.

Trek Tech support confirmed the need for the Kiox System 2 controller for the 8s. Controller and mounting bracket only as the wires and remote thumb control are the same.

I just purchased an 8s via the Trek Employee purchase program. Less than 50 miles and am planning to move to the Kiox. I would even prefer the Purion like my 7s and Verves.

The Tech added: ”Once everything is installed, your Trek retailer will need to do a Bosch firmware update with the Bosch dealer diagnostic tool and verify all the settings.”

So, is Bosch firmware update not necessary?

Per Trek: Bosch Kiox - Display Only, eBike System 2, Quality Bicycle Products part number EP1119, MSRP $230.

I just upgraded to the Kiox System (not Kiox SMART System) on 2019 Allant 8s+, replacing the Smartphone Hub/Cobi junk. I did the install myself, though it was admittedly rather involved. Works just as the Smartphone/Cobi system did, but without that junky thing sticking out front and over the handlebars. The only downside to the display is the size of the font/data readout. I can still read it, but it's just a little harder for these 71 year-old eyeballs. But if you're considering the upgrade to Kiox, just remember that "Kiox" and "Kiox 300/500" are only compatible with 2nd Generation Bosch motors and Bosch Smart System motors, respectively. I bought my brand new Kiox off eBay, and I think it's worth the money. It gives a more streamlined look to the silver behemoth, my Allant 8s+. But I LOVE my tank!

I just upgraded to the Kiox System (not Kiox SMART System) on 2019 Allant 8s+, replacing the Smartphone Hub/Cobi junk. I did the install myself, though it was admittedly rather involved. Works just as the Smartphone/Cobi system did, but without that junky thing sticking out front and over the handlebars. The only downside to the display is the size of the font/data readout. I can still read it, but it's just a little harder for these 71 year-old eyeballs. But if you're considering the upgrade to Kiox, just remember that "Kiox" and "Kiox 300/500" are only compatible with 2nd Generation Bosch motors and Bosch Smart System motors, respectively. I bought my brand new Kiox off eBay, and I think it's worth the money. It gives a more streamlined look to the silver behemoth, my Allant 8s+. But I LOVE my tank!
Not to be pedantic, but thanks to Bosch's byzantine naming schemes we almost have to be. The 'Kiox' is compatible with gen2, gen3, and gen4 Bosch motors that run on System 2.

The motors' generation is separate from the control system. Bosch offers gen3 and gen4 drive units for both System 2 and Smart System for now. The new SX drive unit is Smart System only.

If your bike is a 2019 then it is indeed probably a gen2 PL Speed (with a small 18 or 20t chainring). Trek moved to the gen4 PL Speed drive a year or 2 later, but still using System 2 since Smart System was not introduced yet.

Not to be pedantic, but thanks to Bosch's byzantine naming schemes we almost have to be. The 'Kiox' is compatible with gen2, gen3, and gen4 Bosch motors that run on System 2.

The motors' generation is separate from the control system. Bosch offers gen3 and gen4 drive units for both System 2 and Smart System for now. The new SX drive unit is Smart System only.

If your bike is a 2019 then it is indeed probably a gen2 PL Speed (with a small 18 or 20t chainring). Trek moved to the gen4 PL Speed drive a year or 2 later, but still using System 2 since Smart System was not introduced yet.
Thanks for the 'clearing up'. That helped me more than the Bosch website. Their naming schemes are truly confusing. Ride on.

Thanks for the 'clearing up'. That helped me more than the Bosch website. Their naming schemes are truly confusing. Ride on.
I have found the Trek Technical 800# free telephone support to be very helpful. (800) 585-8735 You can be assured you will get the proper parts info.

Back