Yamaha charging $2475.00 for a battery

Clevland

Region
USA
I am looking at buying a wabash rt but I found out a battery replacement is 2475.00. This literally is almost the cost of the entire bike And I don’t understand how they can even justify this. I did see you can buy it on a few sites for like 1500.00 but that is still insane.

I am looking at buying a wabash rt but I found out a battery replacement is 2475.00. This literally is almost the cost of the entire bike And I don’t understand how they can even justify this. I did see you can buy it on a few sites for like 1500.00 but that is still insane.
Aventon selling extra batteries for 299. Whats the deal with these outfits that bleed every penny out of their loyal riders for an extra battery that probably cost them 150 bucks?

Partzilla charging $1400, you’re not kidding that’s ridiculous. As brands need to get their ebikes UL certified to be compliant with the recently passed New York City law, I’d ask Yamaha Bicycles if while they are restocking they can increase their inventory. Similar batteries are on sale on the Japanese site Rakuten for around $590

Last edited:
Partzilla charging $1400, you’re not kidding that’s ridiculous. As brands need to get their ebikes UL certified to be compliant with the recently passed New York City law, I’d ask Yamaha Bicycles if while they are restocking they can increase their inventory. Similar batteries are on sale on the Japanese site Rakuten for around $590
I'm sure Yamaha will listen to one of us EBR posters when it comes to their marketing strategy...

Seems a basic fail of inventory management

I called Yamaha to ask them why this is but the person on the phone had no idea which I am not surprised. Even the bike shops I called to find out about it had no clue it even cost that much and were shocked themselves.

Wasn't long ago I got a 500Wh external Yamaha battery for my 2017 Haibike for well under $1k. Maybe it's a supply-demand issue

Man. For what its worth, a 500whr battery for my Yamaha-powered Giant is currently $630 direct from Giant. Is that the direct from Yamaha price or is it some third party marking them up because there are none available?

And the best possible reason for NOT buying a bike that requires proprietary parts to service it.

I thought Bosch batteries were expensive. Shimano batteries tend to be 10-15% cheaper for equivalent capacity. People overlook cost and availability of replacement batteries when buying ebikes. Bosch and Shimano factory batteries are easy to come by and occasionally on special, I bought spare 625WH at 30% off retail.

Some Shimano powered bikes use custom batteries designed by bike manufacturer these maybe harder to source especially as bike gets older.

Man. For what its worth, a 500whr battery for my Yamaha-powered Giant is currently $630 direct from Giant. Is that the direct from Yamaha price or is it some third party marking them up because there are none available?
Direct from Yamaha. Their battery’s for their older bikes from like 2019 cost this much it seems to be these frame intergrated ones that are crazy priced. I wonder if a insurance policy would cover the cost of it to replace it

I wonder if that would work in Yamaha bikes.
Direct from Yamaha. Their battery’s for their older bikes from like 2019 cost this much it seems to be these frame intergrated ones that are crazy priced. I wonder if a insurance policy would cover the cost of it to replace it
Batteries are a wear item. They're not covered, not after a 2-3 year period typically.
I'm sure Yamaha will listen to one of us EBR posters when it comes to their marketing strategy...
Contact info here https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/yamaha-ebikes.25359/#post-164064

All in all though, Yamaha seems like such a wasted opportunity here in the states. Their distribution is awful. They used to sell through a bike shop near me, now only through a moto dealership impossible to reach by bicycle..

I see the battery for around $900-1100 on eBay et al

Batteries are a wear item. They're not covered, not after a 2-3 year period typically.

Contact info here https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/yamaha-ebikes.25359/#post-164064

All in all though, Yamaha seems like such a wasted opportunity here in the states. Their distribution is awful. They used to sell through a bike shop near me, now only through a moto dealership impossible to reach by bicycle..

I see the battery for around $900-1100 on eBay et al
Do you know if they can be rebuilt even?

Fraid not. Giant uses (rebranded) Yamaha motors but has their own controllers and batteries.

Yeah. I really like the Yamaha motor on my Giant and Yamaha is making some nice looking well priced bikes, but their dealer network seems to be mostly moto shops starting to dabble in ebikes instead of traditional bike shops. The only one near me is a longtime motorcycle dealer (that, to be fair, seems to be going pretty heavy on ebikes).

Obviously charging $2500 for a spare/replacement battery is highway robbery. I mean, lots of companies go crazy on replacement batterie costs; a 700whr Levo battery from Specialized is $1300, for example. But thats ludicrous. A 500whr battery for my Giant is $630 from Giant. A 540whr for my YT Decoy is $500, and a 720whr is $900.

; a 700whr Levo battery from Specialized is $1300, for example.

That is insane. Hate how these companies tout how green they are, how they recycle batteries and plant daisies etc when they make deliberate moves to destroy the value of used ebikes.

I know our governments don't take these things seriously, but there should be a rule mandating at point of sale that customers are informed that batteries typically must be replaced every 3 or so years, and the OEM cost of a replacement battery. The EPA does this for gas on cars.

I know Juiced used to have much pricier batteries, I think they made the business decision to compete with Ride1Up et al and keep them reasonable.

Ridden Aventon Pace 500 over 3 years and 7,000 trouble free miles. Battery still provides plenty of power for my 30+ mile rides. Excellent company with good customer service. NOT junk!

Back