Yamaha charging $2475.00 for a battery

$299 battery. Lots of corners are cut to produce a battery at that price. Junk. And exactly the sort that is responsible for fires. Period.
FWIW, from what I see an Aventon battery is actually $500. Which is on the less expensive side for proprietary batteries but not insanely so. It looks like they will knock $200 off the price of a spare if bought with certain bikes, but that doesn't mean its actually a $300 battery.

Something that I found when I was building my mobile charging kit. The original wire I used because I didn't think about it was CCA (copper clad aluminum), which as an interesting and annoying property. Since it's aluminum at it's core, it has a higher resistance than copper. Also, as it gets hotter, it's resistance increases causing it to draw even more current causing it to get even hotter. Eventually it would get to the point where it wouldn't blow the fuse, but would melt down the DC accessory plug.

I changed over to pure copper wire and haven't had any problems like that since. I have to wonder if some of these battery packs are using CCA and getting melting down because of it.

I saw that 2400 dollar Yamaha battery on sale at an on-line bike shop in California, likely where the OP here found it and got the shock of his/her life.

1200 seems the going rate for the internal Yamaha battery; a few hundred dollars more than what I paid for my spare external Yamaha batteries for my Haibike. If you want to go Yamaha.......or Bosch........or Specialized.......or Shimano, you pay the price for entry into that brand. No way of getting around it. The good thing is the Yamaha batteries are long lived with very little issues noted on this forum site for all the years I've been reading it. Do know that they cannot be rebuilt, no battery rebuilder will touch them as the BMS, once it is "awakened from it's slumber sleep", cannot be disconnected. If it is, instant brick. "Proprietary parts for the motor itself, or control buttons or displays, are easily attained through PartZilla as noted earlier. You just need the right part number to find it.

I'm partial to the Yamaha motor as it powers the only Ebike I've owned since early 2017. No problems worth noting here in almost 20k miles.

I am looking at buying a wabash rt but I found out a battery replacement is 2475.00. This literally is almost the cost of the entire bike And I don’t understand how they can even justify this. I did see you can buy it on a few sites for like 1500.00 but that is still insane.
Dealers may be factory authorized yet are still independent businesses and can ask any price they want for anything you inquire about. This has nothing to do with the manufacturer. Thanks goodness a quality mid-motor, turn-key factory built eBike comes with batteries that can last 8 years or more. My Haibikes are from 2016 and still going strong.

Dealers may be factory authorized yet are still independent businesses and can ask any price they want for anything you inquire about. This has nothing to do with the manufacturer. Thanks goodness a quality mid-motor, turn-key factory built eBike comes with batteries that can last 8 years or more. My Haibikes are from 2016 and still going strong.
If your Haibikes are Bosch powered worth doing regular searches online as some shops discount batteries occasionally. I got mine at 30% off but seen 50% recently one particular battery.

If your Haibikes are Bosch powered worth doing regular searches online as some shops discount batteries occasionally. I got mine at 30% off but seen 50% recently one particular battery.
So true Trevor. Anyone with a mid-motor factory bike should always be on the lookout for spare parts. Although my entire drivetrain and brakes are universal, all else is apparently pretty darn special. The handlebar display on my 2017 Haibike Full Nin'r apparently contains vital electronics inside. I found a spare display on eBay for $90 and snatched it up. I believe the OEM retail cost is possibly $600 or more making it unaffordable. Sadly my particular ebike is a brick without it as I discovered when I lost my display in an accident. My Haibike might last 10 years or more (even the battery) yet when it does fail, the parts needed to keep rolling may well be completely out of reach. So sad...

Last edited:
That's one of the reason I switched to a Chinese frame e-bike with Bafang motor and build my own batteries.

I have a Haibike with Yamaha system but the 500Wh external bettery it is equipped with costs more than $800, which is about the price of full suspension carbon fiber frame.

I know the Yamaha e-bikes system was hacked and there are some external not so expensive batteries Germany and China made for Yamaha powered e-bikes.

That's one of the reason I switched to a Chinese frame e-bike with Bafang motor and build my own batteries.

I have a Haibike with Yamaha system but the 500Wh external bettery it is equipped with costs more than $800, which is about the price of full suspension carbon fiber frame.

I know the Yamaha e-bikes system was hacked and there are some external not so expensive batteries Germany and China made for Yamaha powered e-bikes.
TPEHAK, Occassionally I find an $800 Yamaha battery on eBay yet I have never located any non-OEM replacement Haibike battery anywhere. I am toldm a battery rebuild nearly impossible at any reasonable cost.. Instead its been years of rumors and false leads all culminating in being told its so difficult I should just buy the OEM batteries. Even companies that were certain they could accomplish a battery build for me eventually said "no" or have gone out of business. Have you any solid leads on a source for rebuilds or replacement batteries for Yamaha powered eBike? Thanks

I do not know about rebuilding the original Yamaha battery with the original BMS but it looks like you can use any non OEM battery with hacking dongle as long as you can figure out how to connect the power leads. You also can reuse the original Yamaha case and connectors with new guts (cells, BMS and the hacking dongle)

Here are the Germany made plug and play batteries for Yamaha powered e-bikes

Here are the made in China downtube batteries for Yanaha powered e-bikes

E-Bike Vision will not ship their batteries to us in the USA, so it's a moot point. It's been quite a few years since member @Ravi Kempaiah brought these batteries to our attention on this forum. But once again, doing business with the Germans is a no-go. I have an Opel GT and am very well familiar with this issue with Germany cause there is a premier supplier of GT parts he has custom made but he absolutely will no longer ship to the USA.

And fwiw, I've tried to check every German Ebay vendor with these high output Yamaha batteries (750WH external battery!) and positively every single vendor will not ship to the USA.

That Made In China battery that boasts of Samsung cells? I recall reading of the troubles folks in Europe had over on the German Pedelec Forum with this particular battery in question. Troubles as in failure after just a few uses on the ebike.

Got an email last month from Yamaha Ebikes, touting up a "buy an ebike from us and we'll toss in an extra internal 500wh battery......for free! That's not a bad deal at all for anyone interested in getting on a Yamaha ebike.

As far as hacking the motor power leads to fit a non-OEM Yamaha battery? I guess if you are an Endless Sphere fan with a deep knowledge of following an electrical schematic, go for it. Other than that, I'm reminded that I still have my original Haibike/Yamaha 400wh external battery on hand, no problems, no issues, still has full power capability and being a model year 2016 Haibike, I figure that battery was made sometime in mid to late 2015? Better to stick with the tried and true instead of taking risks of frying motherboards and wiring harnesses all to "save a buck"! :)

E-Bike Vision will not ship their batteries to us in the USA, so it's a moot point. It's been quite a few years since member @Ravi Kempaiah brought these batteries to our attention on this forum. But once again, doing business with the Germans is a no-go. I have an Opel GT and am very well familiar with this issue with Germany cause there is a premier supplier of GT parts he has custom made but he absolutely will no longer ship to the USA.

And fwiw, I've tried to check every German Ebay vendor with these high output Yamaha batteries (750WH external battery!) and positively every single vendor will not ship to the USA.

That Made In China battery that boasts of Samsung cells? I recall reading of the troubles folks in Europe had over on the German Pedelec Forum with this particular battery in question. Troubles as in failure after just a few uses on the ebike.

Got an email last month from Yamaha Ebikes, touting up a "buy an ebike from us and we'll toss in an extra internal 500wh battery......for free! That's not a bad deal at all for anyone interested in getting on a Yamaha ebike.

As far as hacking the motor power leads to fit a non-OEM Yamaha battery? I guess if you are an Endless Sphere fan with a deep knowledge of following an electrical schematic, go for it. Other than that, I'm reminded that I still have my original Haibike/Yamaha 400wh external battery on hand, no problems, no issues, still has full power capability and being a model year 2016 Haibike, I figure that battery was made sometime in mid to late 2015? Better to stick with the tried and true instead of taking risks of frying motherboards and wiring harnesses all to "save a buck"! :)
Hello Mike, thanks for your input. I have located a small device made in Europe and sold on eBay that should adapt a DIY 36V battery pack to some models using the Yamaha PW-CE motor with the basic display. If viable that solves the issue with my 2017 29" town bikes. No solution for my Full Nin'r has appeared yet but I believe I have plenty of time, perhaps even until the end of this decade to find a solution. See you on the trails!

I do not know about rebuilding the original Yamaha battery with the original BMS but it looks like you can use any non OEM battery with hacking dongle as long as you can figure out how to connect the power leads. You also can reuse the original Yamaha case and connectors with new guts (cells, BMS and the hacking dongle)

Thanks for getting back to me with this important information. It has sparked another spat of research at my end. I trust I will find a solution long before my batteries grow too old to use. I hope my cells keep on keeping on. Thanks again.

I am looking at buying a wabash rt but I found out a battery replacement is 2475.00. This literally is almost the cost of the entire bike And I don’t understand how they can even justify this. I did see you can buy it on a few sites for like 1500.00 but that is still insane.
I have a Yamaha powered Haibike with an internal Yamaha battery. 2 years ago bought an extra Yamaha battery for over $1000.

If there is enough interest in these batteries, we will work on this and make replacement batteries available.
There is a growing need for quality batteries that don't cost an arm and leg, and having UL certification should not mean it should cost $1500, either.

Back