Stromer regen braking?

MinnBobber

I have my brake regen set very low.

For you mountain road riders, on long descents, how much braking power does max level
regen provide?
If you lightly apply brake lever and just engage max regen (and not the brake disc) will it noticeably slow your descent?

Or cruising on the level at 40 kph/ 25 mph, if you just engage the regen, how much will it slow you down?

Very curious about how much braking power that max regen can produce.
Thanks

For you mountain road riders, on long descents, how much braking power does max level
regen provide?
If you lightly apply brake lever and just engage max regen (and not the brake disc) will it noticeably slow your descent?

Or cruising on the level at 40 kph/ 25 mph, if you just engage the regen, how much will it slow you down?

Thanks
Hi, IMO regen braking should be considered/seen as a byproduct of direct drive tech . The tiny amount of energy re-injected into the battery is so negligible , it becomes anecdotal. Unless you live in the Swiss Alps and ride looong steeeep descents that actually re-charge significantly your battery.
It is also a "cool" marketing sales point...:rolleyes:

he is asking how well it works as a drag brake.
Umm yeah... point taken ! my bad. if you keep hitting the minus button it will activate the motor brake which will very drastically slow your descent, to the point where you don't need to pull the brake lever at all. There are several levels of intensity that can be chosen to suit the situation. One ,therefore must choose the appropriate level of brake regen or it will stop you if the grade isn't steep enough.Very useful on long descents but not much fun.
On the flat lightly pulling the lever will activate the motor ( brake/ regen) and slow you down with the effect that the brake pads and rotors are less solicited and have a much longer usable life.

Hi, IMO regen braking should be considered/seen as a byproduct of direct drive tech . The tiny amount of energy re-injected into the battery is so negligible , it becomes anecdotal. Unless you live in the Swiss Alps and ride looong steeeep descents that actually re-charge significantly your battery.
It is also a "cool" marketing sales point...:rolleyes:
I would disagree. Have you used the recoup function extensively? Hold the minus button and trigger recoup mode.

I have done +110 miles days on the ST5 using recoup. Coming down a 2600 feet mountain climb I can recoup a significant amount of energy.
This is not regen braking you get when triggering the brake switch.

Umm yeah... point taken ! my bad. if you keep hitting the minus button it will activate the motor brake which will very drastically slow your descent, to the point where you don't need to pull the brake lever at all. There are several levels of intensity that can be chosen to suit the situation. One ,therefore must choose the appropriate level of brake regen or it will stop you if the grade isn't steep enough.Very useful on long descents but not much fun.
On the flat lightly pulling the lever will activate the motor ( brake/ regen) and slow you down with the effect that the brake pads and rotors are less solicited and have a much longer usable life.
Don’t forget that in recoup mode, you can pedal to recover even more energy.

regen provide?

Thanks

Not easy to answer without knowing how many amps does Stromer allow at maximum regen.

Given your battery is not fully charged (if so regen will not work), and suppose Stromer maxes out at 10A of regen current you can absorb around 500W of power.

From my personal experience, I used it many times coming down on %6-8 grade longish downhills and it can prevent the bike from gaining speed or slowing it down which is very impressive. With regular brakes I have to use them a lot to keep it slow, feel much better with the regen braking.

Recoupe can be significant on long descents, I think once I added close to %6-7 which was very nice but the main purpose is definitely the braking.

In terms of how much it slows you down that completely depends on the grade of the hill, your weight, the regen level you select etc.

Btw regen braking whether activated by brakes or set at a constant level from the menu is fundamentally the same, just different levels.

I've had my ST5 abs for a few months now but not to sure how to use the regen!! I know that if I lower my assistance, lets say from 2 to 1 to 0 and minus a few more time and "regen" with arrows appears then....not sure what's next. Possibly not doing the right thing. Can someone guide me on the procedure?
A la plage.jpg

I've had my ST5 abs for a few months now but not to sure how to use the regen!! I know that if I lower my assistance, lets say from 2 to 1 to 0 and minus a few more time and "regen" with arrows appears then....not sure what's next. Possibly not doing the right thing. Can someone guide me on the procedure?View attachment 169256
Go down a hill
- hold minus (does not matter which assist mode holding minus will trigger recoup / regen)
- tap minus and will select how much regen it will allow. More arrow means stronger / slow down faster.
- hold either plus or minus again to switch of regen mode.

Perfect....work very well just got to get use to it!! Since I'm in Florida for the Winter, it's hard to test/use because this State is flat, no hill!! I have to use overpass to try it. After a few rides it should be OK. Thanks again

While I'm at it another question for ST-5 owner's and maybe other: On my Omny I have 2 choices: Either I press LOCK or STOP. In both case I have to enter my PIN to unlock....and I couldn't find any difference between the 2. Previous to this ST-5 I had a ST1X. On that bike if I pressed Lock I would have to enter my PIN to get going. If I pressed stop, the bike wasn't lock...just standby. I find this strange that there is 2 different function to achieve the same result!!! On the ST5 one can't turn the light off unless you press one of the 2 so I have to enter the PIN again unless I wait some 5 min for it to go dormant. Then the light would go off and it's ready to go w/o the pin!!! Strange!!! Beside that I love this bike big time.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Omny.jpg
    Omny.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 7
While I'm at it another question for ST-5 owner's and maybe other: On my Omny I have 2 choices: Either I press LOCK or STOP. In both case I have to enter my PIN to unlock....and I couldn't find any difference between the 2. Previous to this ST-5 I had a ST1X. On that bike if I pressed Lock I would have to enter my PIN to get going. If I pressed stop, the bike wasn't lock...just standby. I find this strange that there is 2 different function to achieve the same result!!! On the ST5 one can't turn the light off unless you press one of the 2 so I have to enter the PIN again unless I wait some 5 min for it to go dormant. Then the light would go off and it's ready to go w/o the pin!!! Strange!!! Beside that I love this bike big time.
Thanks in advance.
It’s Lock or Off.
In lock mode you can’t push it around and a slow drain on battery.(cuz it’s on)

Menu - Settings - Startup (to turn off PIN on startup.)

All is good now...even coming to a light I'm starting to use the recupp....and now I'm wondering if I had this on my ST1X...not that it's important since I don't have it anymore but it would have been nice to know!!! Thanks again guys.

Back