Best Rock Ever? Nominations, No Air Supply!

I love the No Air Supply in the thread title. They are THE wimpiest band of all time, and I've used this description since the early 90's. For example, a co-worker said Hall and Oats were the wimpiest, but JUST Daryl OR John could beat up the whole Air Supply band! Or one guy out of 10cc could beat up the whole Air Supply band twice in a row. Simon and Garfunkle? It would take both of them to beat up the whole Air Supply band BUT they would win. So yeah, Air Supply are the master wimps.

I'm not a super huge rock music fan in general. I like weird, violent, crazy in my music. Look up: Captured! By Robots. Negative Approach. Overkill (LOVE the shrilly voice!). Agent Orange. Older punk rock/hardcore in general. Worldsucks rule live. Exhumed. The list goes on and on. Funny fact for you heavy metal fans. I've seen both the Cronos fronted Venom for the Metal Black tour. Is was a great show. Then I saw the Venom Inc. version fronted by Demolition Man and it was a great FUN show. Yes, fun! I actually prefer the Inc. version for live shows.

Because I'm old I've seen Slayer as far back as the Hell Awaits tour. Last good tour by them was God Hates Us All.
I've seen Pantera as far back as the Cowboys From Hell tour. The Vulgar tour was INSANE!
Seen Suicidal Tendencies as far back as the Controlled By Hatred tour.
Clutch for that Transnational tour. Still like them BUT that first album tour ripped!
Megadeth for the Killing is My Business tour. LOVE Megadeth and seen then so many times.
Only saw Celtic Frost once, last album with Martin Ain. IT WAS INCREDIBLE!
Triptykon once, so far. Pure art.
And MANY more shows. My wife likes these shows as well because they are exciting and the crowds are generally pretty cool.

Best rock band ever? Kings-X

I was a late bloomer on this band and only seen them around 5 times so far. Do your homework and look them up. Or, catch them live.

Best?

That would be either the Beatles, as they were the most innovative band ever and were constantly changing it up, or Led Zeppelin, who took the blues to another level. Like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin did a lot of musical experimentation, often bringing in the sounds of various cultures. With Jimmy Pages’s guitar skills and Robert Plant’s vocals (John Paul Jones on bass and John Bonham on drums were no slouches either!) there was no competition at the time, and much of their music still stands up today. I’m a fan, if you couldn’t tell. 😊

Last edited:
Best?

That would be either the Beatles, as they were the most innovative band ever and were constantly changing it up, or Led Zeppelin, who took the blues to another level. Like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin did a lot of musical experimentation, often bringing in the sounds of various cultures. With Jimmy Pages’s guitar skills and Robert Plant’s vocals (John Paul Jones on bass and John Bonham on drums were no slouches either!) there was no competition at the time, and much of their music still stands up today. I’m a fan, if you couldn’t tell. 😊

I am a product of mid sixties and up music a la Beatles/Stones/Zep/Kinks and everything/band that goes with it. Never forgetting that I got into lots of 70s/80s/90s stuff as well and bits of all of it are in my band.
Music in all its forms is brilliant and at the same time subjective as heck.
Love it!

No Leado Zeppo here, ever. Growing up on the Mississippi it was delta blues that first fired me up. Then Cream, Kinks, Grateful Dead, The Velvet Underground, Procol Harum, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Savoy Brown, in my top ten.

Best tune,

Last edited:
No Leado Zeppo here, ever. Growing up on the Mississippi it was delta blues that first fired me up. Then Cream, Kinks, Grateful Dead, The Velvet Underground, Procol Harum, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Savoy Brown, in my top ten.

Best tune,
Ok, no Led Zeppelin, but that’s still a solid list! I like your musical taste. Like @DaveMatthews said, it’s subjective as heck anyway.

I'll never say that Zep is a boring, or terrible, band. But if given a choice I would pick Spirit over Zep. Only Zep "album" I own is a greatest hits. I own everything Spirit has released, and the Randy solo stuff (stupid waves stole a legend). My wife swears that Rush only wrote one song, as they all sound the same to her. I feel the same way about AC/DC, but my favorite albums by them are For Those About To Rock and Flick The Switch, so I have bad AC/DC taste.

If anyone kept up with the drama when family trust for Spirit sued Zepplin over the Stairway intro. In the liner notes of the Spirit Full Circle album Randy says that Zep asked to use that part from Taurus and he was not only flattered but said yes.

I'll never say that Zep is a boring, or terrible, band. But if given a choice I would pick Spirit over Zep. Only Zep "album" I own is a greatest hits. I own everything Spirit has released, and the Randy solo stuff (stupid waves stole a legend). My wife swears that Rush only wrote one song, as they all sound the same to her. I feel the same way about AC/DC, but my favorite albums by them are For Those About To Rock and Flick The Switch, so I have bad AC/DC taste.

If anyone kept up with the drama when family trust for Spirit sued Zepplin over the Stairway intro. In the liner notes of the Spirit Full Circle album Randy says that Zep asked to use that part from Taurus and he was not only flattered but said yes.
Leado Zeppo was big in Lost Wages titty bars. (or so I heard) Never liked them, Neither actually. I liked the Stones but everyone overplayed them to the point I never bothered to own an album. The '60s and '70s were littered with one-album wonders that IMO was better than a LOT of the marketed big names. The nuns sent me home in 8th grade for wearing Beattle boots, and in HS for Lennon wire rims. And a year later for hair on the ears. Parochial twits they were.

There is a film that surfaces then gets squashed of Jimi in '69 at Albert Hall. This is subtle and not just loud. Then there was a change of drugs and Rock became head banging and dark.

Straight ahead. Can't seem to embed this one so you'll have to follow the link.

Check out the seahorse embroidery.

Back