Lights Save Lives

Robspace1

Region
USA
I can't understand why so many bikers spend so much for their bikes just to take big chances of being run down on the roads by not spending a small amount to put bright day and night lights on their bikes. I run two super bright Cygolite taillights during day rides, as well as slow flashing front light and a Brightside amber light on the frame for intersections. They can be seen a block away no problem. For night rides I put them on a softer setting. With so many distracted drivers on the road, we have alot of people getting hit by cars, even riding in the bike lanes. I see too many bikes going along that are hard to see. Makes no sense. I know the roadies worry about an extra 6oz. slowing them down but ebikers don't have that problem. As a retired trucker who has seen too many avoidable accidents, I say light em up and stay alive.

Brightly colored clothing and helmets do nothing when bikes move in and out of shadows. Reflectors are the same, as it's in their name. They reflect. If there's limited light, they don't reflect. Doesn't matter if your clothes are day glo colors, if you're riding into the rising or setting sun, you still can't be seen from the back.

Brightly colored clothing and helmets do nothing when bikes move in and out of shadows. Reflectors are the same, as it's in their name. They reflect. If there's limited light, they don't reflect. Doesn't matter if your clothes are day glo colors, if you're riding into the rising or setting sun, you still can't be seen from the back.
Love facts and data like this.

I need to find light bundles at a great deal like Lidl grocery store had. I would give the light packs to people who didn't have lights for their bikes. The front and rear lights came with batteries as well. In my area there are a lot of lower income bicycle riders and we have a homeless shelter in the general area. Free lights are better than no lights. I finally gave out my last set.

That's a ridiculous overstatement. It's really two different discussions, I'd have thought you'd read it that way. However, when light hits neon yellow and reflectors it's a fantastic safety aid.

Bright lights in daylight really get attention and add a big safety boost…. not perfect but every bit helps.
My Stromer has Supernova M99 Pro headlight and taillight. On a charity ride with “crossing guards” at busy highways a guard stopped me to say that he saw me coming a half mile away!

Big plus to having an Ebike is easy ability to have bright lights all the time.
And at night with no traffic…..the night becomes day with the M99😀

Bright lights in daylight really get attention and add a big safety boost…. not perfect but every bit helps.
My Stromer has Supernova M99 Pro headlight and taillight. On a charity ride with “crossing guards” at busy highways a guard stopped me to say that he saw me coming a half mile away!

Big plus to having an Ebike is easy ability to have bright lights all the time.
And at night with no traffic…..the night becomes day with the M99😀
I had modulating lights on my Vespa GTS250. I was amazed to see the difference they made in traffic. Unfortunately, all I have found so far are for 12V systems.

I wear a bright green neon helmet with a flashing red light in the back, a bright neon green shirt and make sure I turn on my 2 bike headlights and my 3 red reflector lights in the back including 1 on my bike is constant and 2 more that flash. One attached to my Topeak and 1 that is built into my seat-and I ride 95% in the daylight hours. Would not be comfortable riding at night for a variety of reasons.

I had modulating lights on my Vespa GTS250. I was amazed to see the difference they made in traffic. Unfortunately, all I have found so far are for 12V systems.
Years ago had a modulating motorcycle headlight. More than once, a car in front of me pulled over, thinking I was police……
And I usually let them off without a ticket, if a bribe was offered jk 😉 💰

Years ago had a modulating motorcycle headlight. More than once, a car in front of me pulled over, thinking I was police……
And I usually let them off without a ticket, if a bribe was offered jk 😉 💰
I carried a copy of the federal statute for the uninformed LEOs that thought it was flashing. One fine summer day a cager chased me down honked and signaled for me to pull over and then continued to complain, "I could see you coming from 6 blocks away, and it was annoying..." DOH!

That's a ridiculous overstatement. It's really two different discussions, I'd have thought you'd read it that way. However, when light hits neon yellow and reflectors it's a fantastic safety aid.
My point is that I see too many bikes out there where the solely rely upon their bright clothes, and do nothing else to make themselves visible. Bikes do disappear when in shadow, and their brightly colored clothes may as well be greys and browns. At least with lights on, a driver and see there is something there. An odd reflection from the sun as the bikes move through the trees aren't enough to get the attention as most likely, the driver is having the same flickering as they're trying to drive.

Personally, I ride with my headlight on all the time, and taillight/brake light is on as well. In low light situations I have 4 way red flashers that are built into my turn signals. I've found that using those lights, most drivers tend to give me more space on the road. There's still some that don't, some of the worst are those with bike racks on their vehicles.

, if you're riding into the rising or setting sun, you still can't be seen from the back.
That situation is one scenario where I turn the rear light on in daytime.
I find lights have about a 90% failure rate in a year. Rain has killed 3 LED versions, even inside the bag not in use. If not rain, battery leakage. If not that, battery contact corrosion. $60 for a piece of inert plastic offends my sensibilities. As most riders here don't ride in the rain, recommendations on the site don't sell me. I have a 18 months old $60 catseye light that rides in a peanut butter jar in the bag 99% of the time. The one time this summer I tried to use it, after dark, the battery went dead after 70 minutes. Rode to summer camp by starlight. I'm sorry, it takes me 255 minutes to finish my commute sometimes. What did work after dark, my ANSI class 2 construction vest, which is highly reflective in headlights of cars.
Buying a $2500 ebike with integrated lights and a display that fails in the rain is another sales pitch that doesn't move my debit card. My bike has no display.
One taillight that works in the rain and has been good for 3 years, is the Garmin Varia radar motion detector. As a hazard warning device it is a complete failure. Wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! wolf! As a tailight it has been very reliable, at a cost of $240. On flash battery lasts about 6 hours. I do have a plastic rainshield over it. No easy way to build one of those over a light that clips to the handlebar.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed my safety yellow helmet definitely stands out and traffic responds differently when I wear it compared to my dark grey helmet.
Anything that catches the drivers eye is going to get his or her attention. It's just common sense. The better and sooner you are seen the easier it is for a 4 wheeler to make adjustments.

Hmm-first time I've ever heard that one. You say bright safety vests etc. are not seen by cars? If someone is behind the wheel and can't see a bright orange or green floresent vest up ahead, they have no business driving. I can see those things a block away! As long as there is a small amount of light out. If not, all the road crews in every state should toss out their safety clothes as nobody can see them. Now, they are designed for daytime use, not night. For nightime, lights are the only real option.

Back