500W+ mid-drive class 3 ebike suggestions?

Stefx73

Hi
I’m looking for a class 3 “hybrid-like” (upright sitting position) with a mid-drive motor of at least 500W.
Most of the use would be for road/city use. No mountain biking.
I currently have a rear hub (350W) hybrit/city bike, I tested a mid-drive and I love the feeling. It was an expensive Giant hybrid bike with a 250W motor and small battery capacity.
I would welcome suggestions.

• The Dost Kope is sold out.
  • The Biktrix Juggernaut is also sold out (albeit it’s a fat bike, I’d rather have narrower tires)
  • Not a single review on the Teo City M-500
  • pXcycle EX-C+ is out of stock

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you want a throttle or is Class 1 OK? REI are expect to restock with their Co-op CTY e2.2 model some time from April. I’d check frequently as they disappeared fast last year. Join REI as a Co-op member and they give a 10% annual dividend, plus 5% discount if you buy it on the REI credit card, should push the price under two grand, the e6100 motor on the e2.2 model is the same as used on the Kona eCoco.

Do you want a throttle or is Class 1 OK? REI are expect to restock with their Co-op CTY e2.2 model some time from April. I’d check frequently as they disappeared fast last year. Join REI as a Co-op member and they give a 10% annual dividend, plus 5% discount if you buy it on the REI credit card, should push the price under two grand, the e6100 motor on the e2.2 model is the same as used on the Kona eCoco.
Thanks, I should have mentioned Class 3. I edited the title and question

Since it is Class-3 you might also want to look at the torque sensing TSDZ2. Very smooth and natural feeling. Because mid-drives are more efficient you can use a lighter battery. Or even a lower nominal rating. It does not need to look electric.

Attachments

• DSCF6701.JPG
    DSCF6701.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCF7255.JPG
    DSCF7255.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCF7474.JPG
    DSCF7474.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCF7476.JPG
    DSCF7476.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Katies2105.JPG
    Katies2105.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 287
I had a dapu mid drive 500 watt and my bosh 350 watt. it was less effort o0n full assist like I could go up a 16% grade on the dapu with the same effort as a 14% on the bosh. but the battery drain was a huge difference between thew two.Now I cant see any reason for more on the road I can climb any hill I need.

The EBT City and EG Geneva are both in stock but use the Dapu 500w mid-drive motor @fooferdoggie says is power hungry. If the OP can wait until August the Ride1Up Prodigy may be available.
yep the Geneva has a 650 watt 52v battery but cant even compare to what I get on my bosch. Plus it does not feel nearly as natural. its also a huge bike and there shifting kinda sucks because they run the cable through the motor housing so it has lots of turns. when I was a first riding I had to use full assist. the Dapu would be lucky to get 18 miles so I could not even get a round trip commute my bosch got me about 23 miles with max assist on a 500 watt battery.

Talk about range anxiety
yep. I had to charge it at work. I sold it before I could start putting effort into riding but it was a big difference compared to my bosch. you could not even rest your foot on a pedal while stopped you would jump forward if you did not hold a brake lever.

you could not even rest your foot on a pedal while stopped you would jump forward if you did not hold a brake lever.
I had that problem with a Gazelle EasyFlow I rode for a month, that was my first time riding a torque PAS sensor ebike, I don’t know if they’re all that sensitive but I learned quickly to put both feet on the ground when stopping for a light

Don't get hung up with motor wattage numbers. It's a bit of mystery what the companies use for the sales number. Nominal or maximum? A 350 watt Bosch goes above 500 watts under max current draw. I'm a huge fan of Bosch mid drive class 3. They will all climb more that anything I ride on, and I weigh 245. I ride a mtb, trekking, and cruiser equipped that way.

+1 on a Bosch 350W mid motor bike (Class 3, no throttle, 28mph assist). Love my Bulls Sentinel 2.0!!

+1 on a Bosch 350W mid motor bike (Class 3, no throttle, 28mph assist). Love my Bulls Sentinel 2.0!!
Seriously, a 350W that peaks at 800+ is nice. You get energy efficiency and feel without so much power that things disintegrate.

What range do you need for average commute?. If touring then main stream middrives are way to go and don't expect to go far at 25-30mph, 12-15mph is ideal touring speed.

Grin Technologies tested Bosch 250W mid drive a few years ago. They found out that Bosch 250W generating well over 800W at maximum.

Now, that was long time ago, so I would not be surprised if new generation 350W Bosch puts above 1000W at maximum.
Where exactly is this test?

Is it the power drawn from the battery or the motor output?

It is very unlikely that the new generation reaches 1000W, it is very likely that the peak output of gen 2 and gen 4 is pretty close or the same.

Back