4th flat in 2 months

OK. Clearly some of you get it.
A) Back tire won't come off without power tools.
B) Handle bars loaded with delicate electronics, can't use as stand.
C) I can pick up the bike but it causes pain so, I won't be doing that.
D) I carry flat fix equipment on my bike but only to help if I see another biker down.
If your suggesting on the fly flat fixes, it is great information for someone else.

OK. Clearly some of you get it.
A) Back tire won't come off without power tools.
B) Handle bars loaded with delicate electronics, can't use as stand.
C) I can pick up the bike but it causes pain so, I won't be doing that.
D) I carry flat fix equipment on my bike but only to help if I see another biker down.
If your suggesting on the fly flat fixes, it is great information for someone else.
Solid tires, next best would be moped tires.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are pretty bullet proof. They have a 5mm thick puncture protection layer. One of the promo videos from the Marathon Plus shows them rolling over a bunch of tacks without puncturing. I knew before buying a rear hub motor bike that repairing a puncture in the field is not a quick or easy process.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are pretty bullet proof. They have a 5mm thick puncture protection layer. One of the promo videos from the Marathon Plus shows them rolling over a bunch of tacks without puncturing. I knew before buying a rear hub motor bike that repairing a puncture in the field is not a quick or easy process.
Saving up, figure I might as well do front and back at the same time.

The reason the Schwalbe Marathons are able to withstand tacks is because tacks really short in terms of piercing power. That piece of wood @Barkme Wolf had in his tire would probably have still given a flat. With e-bikes being so heavy and fast; punctures are far more likely. If any sort of field repair is out of the question, then your only option is to prepare for some other means of transportation during your next flat. Even with Marathons, you will likely have another flat. Maybe not as soon, but 4 flats in 2 months indicates your travel area has a far higher risk than most.

I disagree with you about that piece wood getting through a Marathon Plus tire. That piece of wood shouldn't get through most tires with a halfway decent puncture guard. I've been through this education cycle on my road bike and my advice is not to skimp on tires if you value flat avoidance. You should go read the reviews of the Marathon Plus tire on Wiggle's site. London is notorious for being a flat-haven city and the Marathon Plus tires stand up to the abuse of their streets. Downside is they are very heavy so you might sacrifice a bit top-end speed on an e-bike. Reialize that only a solid rubber tire is impervious to punctures but the Marathon Plus is probably the closest you can get in an pneumatic tire.

Last edited:
You may be right. I probably should have stated, something the length of that piece of wood is long enough to puncture a Marathon Plus. Regardless, they are not flat-proof. The OP is concerned about becoming stranded without a means to fix on the fly. Marathons may reduce that risk, but won't eliminated it. If @Barkme Wolf doesn't want to get stranded, Marathons won't fix that. It will probably reduce the likelihood, but it doesn't fix the problem if he does get a flat.

I am concerned about a rate of 1 flat every 2 weeks even with the Tuffy's. Becoming stranded is an annoying byproduct. All over the other flats were slow and I found them before getting on the road. This last one (through the Tuffy liner) was a full blow out on a trail. I am just looking to mitigate the situation (I thought I had done that with the Tuffy liners).

I am concerned about a rate of 1 flat every 2 weeks even with the Tuffy's. Becoming stranded is an annoying byproduct. All over the other flats were slow and I found them before getting on the road. This last one (through the Tuffy liner) was a full blow out on a trail. I am just looking to mitigate the situation (I thought I had done that with the Tuffy liners).
As I posted above... Go with solid tires. Flats mitigated. Second best go with a DOT rated Moped tire.

Thoughts??

My ride is already devastatingly rough without shocks. I am looking at tubeless- solid tires now as apposed to Marathon "Flat-less". Trying to find something that will absorb some of the impact, the trails I ride on are poorly paved and have a few hard bumps (roots growing under the asphalt.

I just bought a pair of Amerityre 26x1.95 solids, they should be here tomorrow so I will report back on them. If it helps the bead width for the rims on the radwagon is 25mm and the depth is 14mm.

My ride isn't super bumpy, but I got a flat on my first actual commute with the radwagon, and in the future I plan to bring my daughter out a lot (I'm a music director at a church, so I bring her along...). It's way too much of a hassle to field repair a flat with her, and having to remove her seat etc.

Last edited:
Well after 3 days of fighting with it, I did get the amerityre on the rear (front snapped right in). It was exceedingly difficult, but the ride on these tires is really pretty good, not great on bumps of course, but grip is nice and rolling is no problem. I'm not sure why it was so hard to get the tire on the back, maybe the thicker rims don't flex as much as they are designed for? I had to use a quick clamp, grab the tire and yank it in, and use a dull knife to stuff the part under the bead strip in. I'm happy with these so far, totally flat proof, good traction, no way the rear is slipping or rolling (I'm probably going to have to saw it off). I'm riding on fairly smooth streets mostly.

I used to have flats monthly riding on city streets. Since then I've used Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 puncture resistant tires and haven't had any flats. They're more expensive than regular tires but definitely worth the price.
Hello.
Does Schwalbe make a 4" tire? was looking on their website and did not see anything?
Thanks!
Bernie

bernie please let us know if you find out they have one

although i did manage to get a flat somehow on my easy motion with the schwalbes on it

so far i have been lucky but am worried about flats
my lbs has not been interested at all in doing much to help with that or find heavier tubes/tires etc
they just keep saying they dont think there is much for fat bikes and seem really against doing tubeless

they do have slime or some kind of sealant in them from the shop
and i am happy with the ride
ride these mostly offroad, so dont really want to go with moped tires etc
of course may change my mind if i get a flat!
i do have some of the sunlite tubes for each rad bike for back up, but did not find heavier tubes in those sizes

Back