Tern 2017 Vektron S10 vs 2022 version

reneegher

Region
USA
Hi There! I'm new to this forum and also new to the world of e-bikes. Have been test riding a ton lately to determine one that I can use to begin to commute to work in a hilly city. I test rode several Terns last weekend and liked the S10. There is a used 2017 for sale locally for $1,900 and has 650 miles. Considering that a new battery would cost $900, I'm wondering if this is a good price or not. The total cost could end up at $2,800 and given that the new Quick Haul P9 will start at $3299 with a warranty wondering if this is the better deal? (I realize they are different bikes). What would be a fair price for a 2017 Vektron S10 with 650 miles? It's hard to find any comparisons online. After reading lots of the posts here, it sounds like the 2017 has the Active Line motor and wondering if that would be enough power for the hills? (Can't test drive one at the bike shop to know how it would compare to the 2022 S10 that we rode). Any thoughts or advice? thanks in advance.

Hi There! I'm new to this forum and also new to the world of e-bikes. Have been test riding a ton lately to determine one that I can use to begin to commute to work in a hilly city. I test rode several Terns last weekend and liked the S10. There is a used 2017 for sale locally for $1,900 and has 650 miles. Considering that a new battery would cost $900, I'm wondering if this is a good price or not. The total cost could end up at $2,800 and given that the new Quick Haul P9 will start at $3299 with a warranty wondering if this is the better deal? (I realize they are different bikes). What would be a fair price for a 2017 Vektron S10 with 650 miles? It's hard to find any comparisons online. After reading lots of the posts here, it sounds like the 2017 has the Active Line motor and wondering if that would be enough power for the hills? (Can't test drive one at the bike shop to know how it would compare to the 2022 S10 that we rode). Any thoughts or advice? thanks in advance.
Why does the 2017 need a new battery? I own a 2017 Vektron with 5K miles, and everything is working like new. Incidentally, you should be able to get a new PowerPack 500 for about $800 if you can pick it up. The original Vektron came with the PP400, but I upgraded at the time.

How hilly? I’ve never been stuck. Steep hills will require solid effort. If you’re near the DC Metro, I’ll let you ride mine.

Will the seller of the 2017 provide a diagnostic report from a Bosch dealer? That will verify the mileage, do basic checks, and will tell you if the # of charging cycles on the battery is consistent with 650 miles of use.

Why does the 2017 need a new battery? I own a 2017 Vektron with 5K miles, and everything is working like new. Incidentally, you should be able to get a new PowerPack 500 for about $800 if you can pick it up. The original Vektron came with the PP400, but I upgraded at the time.

How hilly? I’ve never been stuck. Steep hills will require solid effort. If you’re near the DC Metro, I’ll let you ride mine.

Will the seller of the 2017 provide a diagnostic report from a Bosch dealer? That will verify the mileage, do basic checks, and will tell you if the # of charging cycles on the battery is consistent with 650 miles of use.
Great idea - thank you. So basically if the battery is still in great shape, $1900 seems reasonable for a 2017? Thank you for the offer - unfortunately I'm on the other coast but maybe it's worth test riding this used one and seeing how it goes.

Great idea - thank you. So basically if the battery is still in great shape, $1900 seems reasonable for a 2017? Thank you for the offer - unfortunately I'm on the other coast but maybe it's worth test riding this used one and seeing how it goes.
I just looked up the QH P9. The Vektron advantages are that it’s a real folder, if you need this feature, has a better drivetrain (10sp Deore vs 9sp Alivio) and the fully adjustable Andros stem. It weighs about 1.5lbs less, so that’s a draw.

What I can tell you about the 2017 Vektron S10 is that mine has been utterly reliable. It thinks it’s new. I do my own maintenance. My one complaint would be that it goes through brake pads quicker than I’d like. If you look through this forum, you won’t find problems, which is kind of unusual. I can also tell you that it’s well-supported by Tern. My local dealer didn’t know the part ids for a replacement chain guard, and a few other items I wanted, but Tern looked it up and shipped them out.

That said, I don’t doubt that this “Performance Sport” motor will be punchier, and new is always nice, but this model is set up as a cost-cutter. I think it comes with the PP400, not the 500.

i would give the 2017 serious consideration provided:

1. you get a recent diagnostic report indicating no problems w/ motor/battery
2. battery charge cycles should be less than 25, I would think.
3. adequate torque/power for your needs
4. tire tread consistent with 650 miles (original are Big Apples, like the P9. I now have Big Ben Plus).

if the above ok, I’d probably offer $1500. I know the mileage is low, but the bike is 5 years old. The original price was $3500, btw, in 2017.

Incidentally, I never used the warranty for anything. It comes down to: is it powerful enough/do you favor a folder? Then saving the money makes sense.

The optional accessories on all models really add up. Check on whether the 2017 comes with any …

I just looked up the QH P9. The Vektron advantages are that it’s a real folder, if you need this feature, has a better drivetrain (10sp Deore vs 9sp Alivio) and the fully adjustable Andros stem. It weighs about 1.5lbs less, so that’s a draw.

What I can tell you about the 2017 Vektron S10 is that mine has been utterly reliable. It thinks it’s new. I do my own maintenance. My one complaint would be that it goes through brake pads quicker than I’d like. If you look through this forum, you won’t find problems, which is kind of unusual. I can also tell you that it’s well-supported by Tern. My local dealer didn’t know the part ids for a replacement chain guard, and a few other items I wanted, but Tern looked it up and shipped them out.

That said, I don’t doubt that this “Performance Sport” motor will be punchier, and new is always nice, but this model is set up as a cost-cutter. I think it comes with the PP400, not the 500.

4. tire tread consistent with 650 miles (original are Big Apples, like the P9. I now have Big Ben Plus).

if the above ok, I’d probably offer $1500. I know the mileage is low, but the bike is 5 years old. The original price was $3500, btw, in 2017.

Incidentally, I never used the warranty for anything. It comes down to: is it powerful enough/do you favor a folder? Then saving the money makes sense.

The optional accessories on all models really add up. Check on whether the 2017 comes with any …
What she said. @dblhelix knows her ebikes like few others and you can probably count the number of riders with more miles on ebikes on this forum with the fingers of one hand PLUS she knows Tern bikes well.

Don't bother waiting for any more advice as it won't be any more reliable. Just find out what you can about the bike and make your move if you like what you learn.

Thank you - really appreciate the info. I do favor a folder but need to commute into downtown Seattle which has some hills that I consider steep. Going to test ride a few other brands this weekend but might pursue the 2017 as the price is right and I really liked the 2022 I rode. Thanks again!

Following. This is very helpful. I believe I need an S10 due to the hills in my community and my intended use (to ride the bike TO exercise locations), however here in Canada the cost is $7000 including tax. Welp. I'm either saving for another year, or getting an older one that rarely comes available, which wasn't my first choice. Older ones are selling for $3500 here, which is still a lot of money if it's a bike that leaves me disappointed. Very good to hear that they are still performing well.

Last edited:
Thank you - really appreciate the info. I do favor a folder but need to commute into downtown Seattle which has some hills that I consider steep. Going to test ride a few other brands this weekend but might pursue the 2017 as the price is right and I really liked the 2022 I rode. Thanks again!
The 2022 has a much better drivetrain and the new Bosch Performance motor is superior to the older generation that 2017 has. The newer motor is more efficient and lighter too. If it were my money I'd spring for the new one. Should that 2017 need a drive unit (not likely but still) there's no good will warranty since you're the 2nd owner. If you were the original owner and have good service records there's always a chance that Bosch will extend a good will warranty even if a bike is out of it's warranty period.

As stated above, if you really do need a true folder you're looking at the best folder on the market. Cube has one in the pipeline but it hasn't hit the market in the US yet, also Bosch equipped. All that is to say that the QH doesn't really apply as it's not a folding bike. If you don't need a folder the QH is great as is the HSD family too!

Hope this helps!

The 2022 has a much better drivetrain and the new Bosch Performance motor is superior to the older generation that 2017 has. The newer motor is more efficient and lighter too. If it were my money I'd spring for the new one. Should that 2017 need a drive unit (not likely but still) there's no good will warranty since you're the 2nd owner. If you were the original owner and have good service records there's always a chance that Bosch will extend a good will warranty even if a bike is out of it's warranty period.

As stated above, if you really do need a true folder you're looking at the best folder on the market. Cube has one in the pipeline but it hasn't hit the market in the US yet, also Bosch equipped. All that is to say that the QH doesn't really apply as it's not a folding bike. If you don't need a folder the QH is great as is the HSD family too!

Hope this helps!
A 9sp Alivio is a far better drivetrain than a 10sp Deore? The OP is considering a new QH P9, not a 2022 Vektron.

A 9sp Alivio is a far better drivetrain than a 10sp Deore? The OP is considering a new QH P9, not a 2022 Vektron.
Sorry for the confusion, I was referencing the Vektron S10 as it was mentioned in the end comments. Not really fair to compare a Vektron and QH as they're intent is pretty different. Unless you really need a folding bike the QH or Cube Compact or HSD are going to be better riding bikes, IMO

Back