Mirror recommendation

Matt Penfold

Region
United Kingdom
I got good advice last time I asked for help on choosing panniers for my Supercharger 2. The consensus was Ortlieb backrollers would be good and so they have proved to be.

I am now after advice on adding a mirror to the right hand side of the bike (I ride in the UK). The grips currently fitted are Ergon GP1s but I am considering upgrading to GP3s. Is there a mirror that will work with both grips?

Thanks.

The GP3s are going to be a limiting factor as it's hard to find a barend mirror that will sit flush with them. We'd thought this to be a minor aesthetic issue, but we've seen the mirrors fall out while riding because the barend prevents them from being inserted far enough into the bar to get solid purchase.

I might suggest mounting a clamp-style mirror inboard of the grip instead so that the mirror sits above the grip instead of out the end of the bar. The Ergotech M99 is one we like for this.

The Mirrycle is, indeed, the benchmark amongst mirrors. That doesn't mean that it's the best; however, its versatility is amazing.

The Mirrycle can be mounted
  • on the left and/or right,
  • above or below,
  • outside (better rear view) or inside (out of harm's way).
I've underlined my choices. The Mirrycles on my three ebikes have been mounted 'inside' the handlebar ends to prevent damage – through narrow gateways, loading onto car racks, toppling over. When mounted this way, I have found that the Mirrycle needs to be placed 'below' in order to avoid its being in the way of my fingers – brakes, water bottle, bell (thumb on the E-14 shifter is no problem).

Mirrycles, being so well accepted, are available from most online stores. They're inexpensive, so buy two (mirrors take knocks!).

Mirrycle on R&M Homage Rohloff

Mirrycle on R&M Homage Rohloff

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mirrycle is, indeed, the benchmark amongst mirrors. That doesn't mean that it's the best; however, its versatility is amazing.

The Mirrycle can be mounted
  • on the left and/or right,
  • above or below the bar end,
  • outside (better rear view) or inside (out of harm's way) the bar end.
I've underlined my choices, which will be illustrated once the sun comes up and allows me to take a photo.

Mirrycles being so well accepted, are available from most online stores. As they're inexpensive, so buy two (mirrors take knocks!).
With my bar ends I could not get it to work o can’t get it to work below my bar at all. The bar ends limit what I could use and not hit it with my hand.
43227F19-CCD4-4A14-8103-A8EB4CDDAE46.jpeg

Depending on your exact requirements something like the Garmin Varia may meet your needs - discussed here:

I use this one on my Nevo3 and it is very good. It fits with GP3s and being Aluminium is very stable.

MICTUNING Mirror for Motorbike,Motorbike Bar End Mirrors Universal 7/8 inches 22mm Motorcycle Rear Bike Mirror,High Definition, Blast-resistant.3 inches Round Handlebar Wing Foldable Mirrors(2 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FCCJ...i_i_NMAD7KZ2Q0YJ44Y5YXQB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I just received a pair of those same mirrors "used" from Amazon Warehouse for less than $10 USD, sold under the brand name Pacearth. I am very pleasantly surprised at the materials quality. The fact that the mirrors are convex concerned me but, in fact, they are very optically clear and undistorted. I only mount a mirror on the left bar end but, at the price, I opted for the pair to have one spare (I needed to replace a Hafney that didn't survive a fall).

PACEARTH Bike Mirror, Bike Mirrors Handlebar Rearview Mirror,HD Safety Bar End Bike Mirror,Blast-Resistant Aluminum 360˚Rotatable Bicycle Rearview Mirror

I am also looking for mirrors for our Gazelle Ultimate C380+ e-bikes.

I am glad that I found this thread.

I have had one of these (Amazon+others - brand "Venzo", Walmart - brand "OTVIAP", quite cheap) for the last 3 or more years underneath my right handlebar, works great:
Amazon
Walmart
My original SC1 handlebars (FSA Afterburner's) were 76 or 78cm wide, after trimming them they are now approx. 72cm (28.35") wide and can now fit through doorways (just).
The mirror does not get bumped when going through doorways or when lean't against a wall when it's underneath like that.
Takes a bit of getting used to but just like a manual shift Rohloff it's great when your are! :)
It has a few scratches and needs a bit of a clean but has been robust & not needing to adjust position often for years now..
20220514_101346.jpg
Walmart

Last edited:
I appreciate that this is an old thread but as I am in the market for a mirror and/or Garmin Varia for a SuperCharger 2, and I am interested in the current thinking. Particularly around mounting the mirrors on the bars and the mounting of the Varia.

Also is there a preference for the radar only version of the Varia or the version with the camera.

I appreciate that this is an old thread but as I am in the market for a mirror and/or Garmin Varia for a SuperCharger 2, and I am interested in the current thinking. Particularly around mounting the mirrors on the bars and the mounting of the Varia.

Also is there a preference for the radar only version of the Varia or the version with the camera.
Varia all the way for me - I mount with a cheap bracket off Amazon on my seat. Works perfect.

All the reviews of the Varia with camera say it sucks. I don’t have the camera version but I do have a Garmin Dashcam that has the same camera and app software to connect and THAT does suck too. To the point I’ve not checked any footage in a couple of years (fortunately no real reason to) but connecting my phone consistently to the camera was a nightmare.

If you’re looking at augmenting your bike with Garmin accessories (as I do) then you’ll soon replicate most of the features / functions of the smart system eg id use a Garmin Edge for navigation vs the Bosch system in Nyon head unit which sounds like a mess from posters on this forum

Varia all the way for me - I mount with a cheap bracket off Amazon on my seat. Works perfect.

All the reviews of the Varia with camera say it sucks. I don’t have the camera version but I do have a Garmin Dashcam that has the same camera and app software to connect and THAT does suck too. To the point I’ve not checked any footage in a couple of years (fortunately no real reason to) but connecting my phone consistently to the camera was a nightmare.

If you’re looking at augmenting your bike with Garmin accessories (as I do) then you’ll soon replicate most of the features / functions of the smart system eg id use a Garmin Edge for navigation vs the Bosch system in Nyon head unit which sounds like a mess from posters on this forum

Thanks.

I am a Garmin user and intend to use my Garmin Edge 1030 and, at times, my Garmin Fenix 7S.

When I saw the price of the Garmin RCT715, that settled that decision. I can install an Innova K6 front and rear camera setup powered by the bike for less. I will look into the Garmin RTL515, but I want a mirror as a minimum. I'm considering the Busch and Mueller Cycle Star E or the Mirracycle.

I don't require mirror on my bike rides.
That is nice for you, but not sure how this is relevant to this thread.
If you must have mirror buy an expensive one that can be attached to your helmet.
You need not turn your head scan mirror with your eye balls to see behind you.

You do understand how mirrors work right? That said thanks for the suggestion but no thanks. I prefer to use actual mirrors mounted on my bike. YMMV.

Back