Mirror recommendation

I thought I posting to OP.
Are you okay?
For a ‘cheapskate’ I am fine thanks and no I will not be buying the Varia with the camera. Seems a rather pointless suggestion given other options.

Now if you really were replying to the OP from ~two years ago your suggestion of a helmet mirror is curious. I am not sure how a helmet mirror works on the right side of a bike but you never know. Maybe you can share an image of such a setup.

Enjoy your helmet mirror. I am sure it improves the aesthetics of your bike 😀

Last edited:
Wait merry mirrors is what David Barry had on his ebike.
@Stefan Mikes chime in over here.
Do you have mirrors you can suggest to this guy with Reis Muller $7000 ebike?
Who is this guy? The OP or someone else?

Stefan commented in post #7 in respect to Ergon grips and the fitment of Mirracycle mirrors. Post #5 is an informative post on the same mirrors. They are a popular option and have been around for years.

BTW what are ‘wait merry’ mirrors?

Last edited:
I've tried a bunch of different mirrors,..

20221110_124942.jpg

I needed to have a mirror that reached out past my handlebar ends so I could see past my shoulder, especially when I wear a jacket.

The Hafny mirror is a quality mirror but I had to butcher the end of my grips to install them on the handlebar so they would stick out further.
I had to use an Allen key to rotate them out of the way before and after every ride to get the bike through my doorway, and I'm sure it would break if I ever landed on it.

20230412_160026.jpg

The West Biking mirrors work great and are spring loaded so you just fold them out of the way in a second.

20230604_110636.jpg

20230724_101613.jpg

They are made out of cheap softer plastic that kinda bends so I thought the mirror would be bouncing around, but it was no worse than the rigid Hafny mirror.

They are quite durable too,..

20230707_130436.jpg

They bend and fold out of the way before they break, but the soft plastic friction ball is getting pretty chewed up. The handlebar clamp is just plastic too but they are holding up well.

20240303_073906.jpg

,.. I am not sure how a helmet mirror works on the right side of a bike but you never know. Maybe you can share an image of such a setup.

I didn't like how I couldn't see my mirrors in my peripheral vision, and I had to turn my head and look down to see them.
So I just recently decided to try a helmet mirror.

20240303_051854.jpg

I bought two because one is convex and the other is flat,..

20240303_051801.jpg

Some people were saying that you have to continually adjust a flat mirror to see directly behind you, but others were saying that with a convex mirror, a car needs to be within 10 feet behind you before you can see it in the mirror.
I'm hoping that that doesn't apply to a helmet mirror as much?

And, BTW,.. a helmet mirror works on either the right or left side,..

20240303_051902.jpg

The mirror that is supposed to attach to the rim of your glasses can be attached to your helmet.
I bought some high performance 3M VHB tape to fix it to my helmet

I didn't know about the long reach Busch and Mueller mirror that would have worked perfectly for me.

Screenshot_20240303-065304_DuckDuckGo.jpg

It installs inside the end of the handlebars and could be rotated outward as far as you want.
All the other bar end mirrors that I could find wouldn't tip outwards.
I not only had to cut a hole in my Grips to install my mirrors, I also had to cut away more of the grip to install the handlebar mounts and push everything inwards which got all my controls bunched up.

20240303_072146.jpg

I may still get the Busch and Mueller mirror if I don't like or can't get used to the helmet mirror. Apparently it takes some time to get used to (I didn't realize that you only see the mirror with one eye.)

,.. I will not be buying the Varia with the camera. Seems a rather pointless suggestion given other options.

I know nothing about Varia but I was considering a rear view camera with a display mounted high in the middle of my handlebars.
That would be perfect!! Just like a rear view mirror in a car.

But that gets all stupidly complicated with Bluetooth and wiring and AI and monthly subscriptions and all kinds of BS.
And the cameras tended to have the same problem as a convex or flat mirror. They were either a fish eye lens where the car needs to be really close or you are constantly adjusting your camera angle.

You can get dash cams for motorcycles that are complete with a camera and screen, but then you have to feed 12V to it somehow.
I think that they have a more practical amount of a convex lens? And better picture quality on the screen?

Maybe I'll mount the convex helmet mirror on the left side of my helmet, the flat helmet mirror on the right, and put a camera on top of my helmet facing backwards, then install a display to my helmet hanging down in front of my face?

Then I wouldn't miss anything, except of course everything that's in front of me because I'd be looking at the three screens instead. 😂

,.. I am not sure how a helmet mirror works on the right side of a bike but you never know. Maybe you can share an image of such a setup.

Here is an image of the helmet mirror,..

Screenshot_20240303-075854_AliExpress.jpg

This is an image of the Australian version of the same mirror,..

Screenshot_20240303-075953_AliExpress.jpg

Make sure that you order the correct mirror for your side of the road. 😂
(PS,.. The right side of the road is the right side. The left side is wrong, so you'll have to order the wrong mirror. 😂)

These are most of my mirrors,..

20240303_083301.jpg

The Hafny mirrors have an aluminum bar clamp that opens up so you don't have to remove your grips and/or brake levers to install them,..

20240303_083451.jpg

The West Biking mirror is all plastic, but the bar clamp part opens up far enough to fit over the handlebar, and you lift up on the stem to rotate it,..
(It's kinda cheap crap, but it's working well for me. I've dropped the bike and hit stuff more than 2 dozen times.)

20240303_084350.jpg

I like the helmet mirror because I do a mix of "share the road" bike lanes down to single track. Helmet mirror works best for me in twisty trails/road, easier to adjust my head for vehicle HID/LED headlights behind me, tight narrow single track trails with brush that would knock off handlebar mirrors, no side mirror to worry about damaging if I wipe out on the trail, and better viewing behind me at head level compared to handlebar level.

Mirrors that extend outside the handlebars make the bars very wide. Such an arrangement would smash the mirror when the bike falls to a side.
Helmet mirrors require re-focusing the sight, and distract the rider from observing the road.

1709477496911.png

A properly installed Mirrycle is safe in the case of a crash, does not widen the handlebars, is stable, and has a wide angle of view. You could be a big man wearing a wide jacket but still see everything behind you. Mirrycle is symmetrical and can easily be installed on the right side of the bars (UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, Japan...).

1709477960314.png

On a very fast road cycling group workout... Vado 6.0

1709478127775.png

Finishing a gravel ultramarathon, Vado SL.

Mirrycle is a great mirror, and it is inexpensive.

Last edited:
I hope that I can get used to the helmet mirror because the handlebar mirrors are a PITA.

I just bought a new ebike too, and I'd like to avoid butchering my grips to accommodate mirrors.

I got my helmet mirrors for dirt cheap on AliExpress to see what they're like and if I prefer the convex version.

Screenshot_20240303-075822_AliExpress.jpg

If it works OK, I don't mind replacing them if it gets smashed.
I may not need the expensive version if mine aren't complete junk?

Last edited:
Thanks, @PCeBiker, for your input. Just for clarity, my comment about the helmet mirrors was in the context of the OP's question about a mirror mounted to the bike and Rome's deleted post saying he was replying to the OP when he wrote about a helmet mirror.

I have experience with Busch & Muller Cycle Star 80 903/1which is mounted on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. It is an okay mirror, but it does vibrate and can be difficult to get a clear view. It is also easily knocked out position. The mounting is easy on that bike as it has drop bars.

My other currently in-use mirror is a Zefal Spy Mirror on my Salsa Mukluk (fat bike). That works fine in this context as the bike is mainly used off-road.

Previous mirrors have been Busch & Muller ones as well.

My seeking input here was because of what I believe is the limited handlebar space to mount a mirror on the SuperCharger 2 and it is fitted with Ergon Ergonomic GP3 grips. I feel the choice has come down to the Mirracycle which works with the GP3 grips going by previous posts or the Busch & Muller Cycle Star E 913/712VLGE. I believe it can be mounted in a similar fashion to the Mirracycle, as shown in post #29. I do appreciate that the Mirracycle has a good reputation, and pricing and availability seems to be in its favour.

@Stefan Mikes my mirrors are mounted on the right side and thankfully I tend to fall to the left, so, so far they have survived falls 😀. That said, I would prefer to mount it inbound as per your photo.

As an aside I see

Last edited:
,.. the OP's question about a mirror mounted to the bike and Rome's deleted post saying he was replying to the OP when he wrote about a helmet mirror.
,.. It is an okay mirror, but it does vibrate and can be difficult to get a clear view.

That is one of the main reasons that I'm going to try the helmet mirror.
I figure my head is the part of me and my e-bike that is least inclined to vibrate. 😂

Previous mirrors have been Busch & Muller ones as well.

I like the Busch & Muller long reach because it looks like I can fold it outward to see past my shoulder better, and it mounts inside the bar end to save space on my handlebars.

@Stefan Mikes my mirrors are mounted on the right side and thankfully I tend to fall to the left, so, so far they have survived falls 😀.

I mount mirrors on both sides and fall to both sides as well. Sometimes backwards. 😂

20230820_115713.jpg

That said, I would prefer to mount it inbound as per your photo.

I wish I could mount it inbound as well, but then I can't see anything except my jacket.

Plus if you are not careful putting your helmet down, you knock the mirror out of position.

I'm thinking that it will be quick and easy to readjust the mirror if I put the helmet down whether I'm wearing it at the time or not. 😂

Anyway @PCeBiker it will be interesting to see how your mirrors work out for you.

Stephan says that when I crash I'll smash the mirror into my eye and blind myself.

Oh well, I only need one eye to see straight. 😂

Do any of these mirrors have NON BREAKABLE type lens? I had a set of mirrors that had highly polished metal mirrors that didn't break, but the main stem parts did, just from falling over, and they were attached via the end bar method.

Do any of these mirrors have NON BREAKABLE type lens? I had a set of mirrors that had highly polished metal mirrors that didn't break, but the main stem parts did, just from falling over, and they were attached via the end bar method.

The Busch Muller Cycle Star mirror is supposed to have shatter protection,..

Screenshot_20240303-124433_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The worst thing about the mirrors that extend outside is they widen the bike, making it problematic to pass a door. Even a train door :) It is also dangerous to zoom with such mirrors between the trees.

1709542442535.png

I wonder whether an outer mirror would have survived that high speed crash (one of the most painful I have ever experienced). Mirrycle survived that April 2023 crash unscathed (as many before and after).

Mirrycles never have their glass shattered. What occassionally breaks on unfortunate situations is the vertical arm. However, given the low price of Mirrycle...

Once I can confirm which bars my bike is coming with (I need to include a Knog Oi Classic bell in the order) I will be getting a Mirrycles mirror. Less than AU$30 and spares are readily available. So a good price and if they are as good as the reviews all suggest a bargin.

Back