45km/h ebikes

Royal Pinata

Can ya'all suggest me ebikes by brand name that go at least 45kmh? I don't mind spending 10000€ but most are limited to 25kmh but for that money I would like more

JayVee, as a resident of European country associated with European Union knows what he's talking about. I am a citizen of EU country and one of my e-bikes is 45 km/h capable and street legal. @Royal Pinata let me name several e-bikes that are 45 km/h street-legal in Europe, provided these are registered and Third-Party Liability insured:
  • Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0
  • Trek Allant+ 7S, 8S, 9.9S
  • Haibike Trekking S 8.0
  • Bulls E-Stream EVO 45 (the only e-MTB of that speed)
  • Cube Kathmandu Hybrid 45km/h
  • Riese & Muller: Delite, Superdelite, Homage HS
All above are of L1e-B Euro Class (electrically assisted mopeds) and come with the European Certificate of Conformity and a lot of required safety features. It makes them expensive.

I might have forgotten some other brands. Now:
  • Giant does not make any 45 km/h e-bike for EU
  • Bafang Ultra motor is illegal in Europe
Hope that helps. @Royal Pinata: Feel free to ask me more questions. Been there, done that :)

Hey Timpo...get yourself a small motorcycle. Besides riding a bike that fast without a full face helmet and road rash protective gear is almost ...you fill in the words.

He wants a legal 45km/h bike with a COC, I think... Most Bafang 25+ km/h bikes are street illegal in the EU. I searched and could only come up with a handful of legal 45kn/h EU bikes with a Bafang drive... And those probably wouldn't be available in Finland...
Don't worry about this too much.... Virtually every country has a means of registering these bikes. Having a CoC just makes it a bit quicker.

You can even register a sofa :D

TELEMMGLPICT000195766542_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqwYaV-M1ZCAJ1x8ozlDoAe22BDLXiO8JqOd8RmsvyI-Y.jpeg

Virtually every country has a means of registering these bikes. Having a CoC just makes it a bit quicker.
Britain is a specific country, wouldn't you agree @MartsEbike? :) We are talking about EU countries such as Finland, and such countries are pretty serious. As we're talking about registering a motorised vehicle, the CoC is mandatory, not optional there. That is to say any L1e-B S-Pedelec for the Euro market must come with the CoC. Including the Vehicle Identification Number.

Not that I have anything against the UK. On contrary, I love that country. Hardly anything can beat a proper English Full! :)

Britain is a specific country, wouldn't you agree @MartsEbike? :) We are talking about EU countries such as Finland, and such countries are pretty serious. As we're talking about registering a motorised vehicle, the CoC is mandatory, not optional there. That is to say any L1e-B S-Pedelec for the Euro market must come with the CoC. Including the Vehicle Identification Number.

Not that I have anything against the UK. On contrary, I love that country. Hardly anything can beat a proper English Full! :)
The UK is still using EU rules Stefan. Nothing has changed really! So not that specific - yet! :D

If your country doesn't have this ability you're missing out on so many motorised beds and sofa's... Your country will rapidly fall beind the UK, world leaders in couch potato technology :D

Haha!
Marts, you should have been together with me at my county's Vehicle Office when I came there to register my Vado for the first time :D

-- Nobody, I say: NOBODY will register your e-bike with the papers you've brought here! -- said the officer before she threw me out... :D

Next time, I was lucky. First of all I had (I think) as many as six required documents with me. The officer (that time) was a friendly lady near to be pensioned.
-- How strange... I can't find that VIN in the database... Don't worry, let them sort it out themselves... What was the fuel type you said? -- Electric Energy, EE -- I said -- I know, I know, cannot find it on my computer... But we'll sort it out...

:D

If you don't have the COC, the vehicle goes to the DMV for analysis in many EU countries, and absolutely nothing says that it will be declared as roadworthy
So the answer is actually yes, it is possible.

Giant also have the Explore E + Pro and Quick E + in 45km/h versions in various EU countries.
I very few EU countries but certainly not in Finland. Explore E+ is only 25 km/h in EU. So far, I could spot the Quick E+ 45 in Austria only.

Hey Stefan. Maybe it is new for 2021 in the EU but I found Explore E+ Pro 45km/h models are advertised on Giant‘s websites for Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria so far. Could be coming to Poland soon. 😉

Hey Stefan. Maybe it is new for 2021 in the EU but I found Explore E+ Pro 45km/h models are advertised on Giant‘s websites for Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria so far. Could be coming to Poland soon. 😉
What a surprise! Thank you for letting me know @Gbart :) Perhaps these e-bikes would be available in Finland, too (the OP is from Finland).

You see yourself: an L1e-B needs to have numerous safety devices and go through type approval and testing. Honestly, I have not seen any commercial L1e-A in the market (that is, speed up to 25 km/h but motor above 250 W and below 1 kW); perhaps some cargo e-bikes.

The L1e-B "Factor Four" principle is very interesting:
As for pedelecs 45 km/h, manufacturers may decide to limit their vehicles
with the so-called “factor four”. This means that the auxiliary propulsion
power added to the driver’s pedal power is less than or equal to four times
the actual pedal power. In that case, their vehicles become so-called “cycles
designed to pedal of vehicle category L1e-B”. In the Regulation on Vehicle
Functional Safety Requirements these are defined as: “cycles with a mass
in running order ≤ 35 kg and shall be fitted with pedals enabling the vehicle
to be propelled solely by the rider’s muscular leg power. The vehicle shall
feature adjustable rider positioning in order to enhance the ergonomic
posture of the rider for pedalling. The auxiliary propulsion power shall be
added to the driver’s pedal power and shall be less than or equal to four
times the actual pedal power.”
That explains the "It's 4x You!" motto of Specialized. Also, limiting the S-Pedelec mass to be below 35 kg.

CoC requirement:
Type-approval is allowed in one member state only but that type-approval
is valid throughout all member states of the European Union. The approval
authority officially certifies that a vehicle, system, component or separate
technical unit is approved by means of the type-approval certificate.
Following this, the manufacturer must issue a certificate of conformity, i.e.
a document that certifies that the produced vehicle/system/ component/…
conforms to the approved product.

Last edited:
You see yourself: an L1e-B needs to have numerous safety devices and go through type approval and testing. Honestly, I have not seen any commercial L1e-A in the market (that is, speed up to 25 km/h but motor above 250 W and below 1 kW); perhaps some cargo e-bikes.

The L1e-B "Factor Four" principle is very interesting:

That explains the "It's 4x You!" motto of Specialized. Also, limiting the S-Pedelec mass to be below 35 kg.

CoC requirement:

Type-Approval is for Manufacturers of bikes. I think I mentioned to you before the process used in the UK for "Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval" for bikes without it (aka L1e-B). Unless you've purchased a terrible bike the chances are it won't take much to pass inspection.

As for L1e-A, you're right, not much demand for it...any extra power is still limited by your speed limit, but L1e-B is a different matter, like a Sur-ron Lightbee "Road-Legal" version.

Sur-ron Lightbee "Road-Legal" is a light motorcycle because of 6 kW motor. It is missing essential features making it road legal, too.
Have you read the document you provided?

Sur-ron Lightbee "Road-Legal" is a light motorcycle because of 6 kW motor. It is missing essential features making it road legal, too.
Have you read the document you provided?
Yes I have read it :D

They limit the power and top speed of the road-legal version to under 4kw - and you can ride it without a full license in the UK, just a "CBT", Compulsory Basic Training. What other features are you talking about?

All day headlight and rear-light with STOP light. Lit number plate support. Horn. Just to start with.
Do they provide the CoC?

The road legal version comes with lights etc, but the off-road version doesn't...

Surron_l1e_road_legal_grey_1296x_6034b4c9-3ade-43fb-ae9e-c6750eeb8670_740x.jpg

On a Sur-ron "road-legal", I think they do come with CoC! I was thinking of buying at one point, and found some places were selling them pre-registered - while other places just told you how to do it.

Back