45km/h ebikes

Okay. Sur-ron must meet these criteria. Now look (as we are talking S-Pedelecs):

Sur-ron is a moped but it is not an S-Pedelec. Manufacturers of EU S-Pedelecs use the Factor Four principle:
1606404111036.png

If you limit the motor power to be not greater than four times the rider's leg input and the pedelec is lighter than 35 kg, then the manufacturer will go through easier certification path. Actually, my S-Vado has that factor equal to 3.2x and its total running mass is less than 24 kg.

L1e-B Safety features (1 of 5).jpg

Number plate on a lit support, with all-day rear light with STOP indication; and a reflector.

L1e-B Safety features (2 of 5).jpg

A horn button. Another button (not seen here) is the high-beam headlight switch.

L1e-B Safety features (3 of 5).jpg

A 1600 lm automotive grade headlight with (automatic) day-time, low and high beam; asymmetric light . The retail price of the headlight is £320.

L1e-B Safety features (4 of 5).jpg

TRP Zurich, racing-grade, top-end e-bike brakes...

L1e-B Safety features (5 of 5).jpg

TRP Zurich brakes continued.

Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 is not offered in the UK, and could you tell me why? (That bike is only offered inside the EU). The Finnish price of that e-bike is €5700 (£5100). It is understandable why so expensive.

Sur-ron is a moped but it is not an S-Pedelec - true, but S-Pedalecs are treated the same as Mopeds, which is why ebikes at least from a UK perspective have fell into two broad categories. (Those under 250w, and those over)

So there is no legal reason the Vado 6.0 isn't offered, other than the registration and CBT requirement would put off sales in my opinion. I think a lot of people in the UK don't want a number plate on their bike. We have cameras everywhere to fine you! :D

In fact... I'd say Insurance availability is really the issue. Its still hard to find anyone who will insure higher power ebikes.

Back