Brakes Question - 2020 Sport

Jmarc

Region
USA
I have a 2020 Sport, about 900 or so miles on it. I starting to notice my right brake handle is far 'looser' and doesn't seem to be as tight feeling as my left brake. Any ideas on what adjustments maybe needed (hydraulic fluid, brake pads, tighten a screw...) and has anyone else with a Sport or any other model start to have this issue with their bike? Was just hoping to see if anyone had any advice before I take it to an LBS.

Thanks

My vote-tighten a screw.

It's located (hidden) between the handlebar and the brake lever and is often used to reduce/adjust the distance between the lever and handlebar. If the lever gets too close to the bar, it's could easily be considered "loose". Give it a shot. Nothing to loose right? Go clockwise 1 turn and check it so you can see the difference. Don't go too far or your brakes will start dragging.

My vote-tighten a screw.

It's located (hidden) between the handlebar and the brake lever and is often used to reduce/adjust the distance between the lever and handlebar. If the lever gets too close to the bar, it's could easily be considered "loose". Give it a shot. Nothing to loose right? Go clockwise 1 turn and check it so you can see the difference. Don't go too far or your brakes will start dr
Seems like this did the trick. The lever feels much 'tighter' and just more like what properly functional brakes should feel like. Now I just have to adjust the other side and I'll be good to go. Thanks a lot!

Do you mean the lever or the actual brake pads on the wheel?
This screw would be up top, near the lever. I could find no way to adjust the caliper.

I’m having a similar issue. I adjusted the caliper so that the brake pad won’t rub but my brake handle is now hitting the grip. It wasn’t doing that when I started to make the adjustment. Now I’m at a loss. Is this a brake fluid issue or something that can be adjusted with a bolt or screw? This is for the front brake.

I’m having a similar issue. I adjusted the caliper so that the brake pad won’t rub but my brake handle is now hitting the grip. It wasn’t doing that when I started to make the adjustment. Now I’m at a loss. Is this a brake fluid issue or something that can be adjusted with a bolt or screw? This is for the front brake.
How did you do that? just loosening the bolts on the caliper and holding the lever down? it sounds like you extended the pads out to far and your brakes will now have to be bled.

Yes. I loosened the 2 bolts and squeezed the lever and held it and then tightened the bolts.
When doing this adjustment it is helpful to use a rubber band on the lever. This will free up a hand. A piece of business card can be used on each side of the disc between the disc and the left and right pads. This will give the correct distance. Rock the bike. Tighten slowly and evenly. Then hold a white card or piece of paper with a flashlight shining on it when you look between the pads to see there is no rubbing. If it is unevenly rubbing you need to straighten the rotor with a rotor iron.

Ok. I’ll try that. But what about the brake lever being too loose and hitting the grip when I squeeze. Do I definitely need to bleed the hydraulic. I’m trying to avoid that.

Ok. I’ll try that. But what about the brake lever being too loose and hitting the grip when I squeeze. Do I definitely need to bleed the hydraulic. I’m trying to avoid that.
It could be that the pads have worn to the point where the piston is extended. It is not like fluid vanished. Replacing the pads with new thicker ones could just do the trick. First remove the old pads so you see what you need to order. Ebay has plenty that are great but not logo branded. The caliper needs to be cleaned of contaminants. Then put a little O-ring gel on the piston seal before pushing it in. The new pads go in the way the old ones came out.

Did you try using the adjusting screw that's sort of built in under the lever? Not sure, they may mention it in the owners manual.

thats just for reach.
It's the ONLY adjustment I could find on my '21 Sport.
Screw is located under the lever. Seen easiest from the loose end of the lever, looking towards the pivot point.

It's the ONLY adjustment I could find on my '21 Sport.
Screw is located under the lever. Seen easiest from the loose end of the lever, looking towards the pivot point.
on mechanical brakes you adjust the pads on the caliper its self. the screw on the lever is only to adjust how far the lever is from the bar. you also don't use the nut on the lever to do it. on hydraulic brakes its only to adjust reach. if the lever is going in to much its usually either the pads are too warn or they need bleed. but they may just need tweaked. its not to hard but you need to be careful. take out the pads and squeeze the lever about 1/2 the way watch the pistons. you want them to come out a little bit and stay. sometimes it takes a few light squeezes. then put the pads back in and test the feel. if you did it too much and the pads are too close you need to push the pistons back in and try again. but if you overdo it you will need to bleed the brakes or you can push the pistons out too far and ruin the caliper. this shows where the screw that adjust reach is located on most levers. mine you can do it with the knob most you need a Allen wrench.
41DkO5T9rjL._AC_.jpg

Understand how to adjust mechanical disk brakes fairly well. However, the Sport is using hydraulic brakes, and the only adjustment I could find is about 180 degrees from the adjusting screw you are talking about in that pic. Clearly it's used to adjust how close the lever will get to the bar.

What year is this Sport? Maybe you have a different brake than my '21?

Understand how to adjust mechanical disk brakes fairly well. However, the Sport is using hydraulic brakes, and the only adjustment I could find is about 180 degrees from the adjusting screw you are talking about in that pic. Clearly it's used to adjust how close the lever will get to the bar.

What year is this Sport? Maybe you have a different brake than my '21?
if they are hydraulic you don't have adjustments for wear. that as done automatically to an extent. if your levers are going in too. uc but the brakes are not mushy you can do what I posted above to get them tighter I have done this several times on our tandem and it works we..

My 2020 Sport will not shift from 7th to 8th gear. I have watched the videos and adjusted the limit screws and adjusted the barrel adjusters for tension. Any other ideas before I strap sporty on the rack and take him to the LBS?
The derailleur doesn't appear to be bent...

My 2020 Sport will not shift from 7th to 8th gear. I have watched the videos and adjusted the limit screws and adjusted the barrel adjusters for tension. Any other ideas before I strap sporty on the rack and take him to the LBS?
The derailleur doesn't appear to be bent...
Replace the housing and the cable use some
Good quality like shimano or such.

Back