2020 COMO 3.0 MPH Derestricted with Planet3

Axis

Region
USA
Hello first post here but a longtime lurker.
I just purchased my first Ebike a 2020 COMO 3.0 and love it. I decided to try the Planet3 gear... https://test.planet3.bike/shop/2020-turbo-como/

I live in the USA and it only took 5 days to get to my door. I installed it within 5 minutes with zero issues. I did use common sense and read the directions.
I just got back from a ride and was able to pedal at 30 MPH with no real effort on a flat smooth road. Downhill I spun out in my tallest gear at 39 MPH.

I am super impressed! If you are considering trying to derestrict the speed of your bike Planet3 is a great solution and it isn't expensive.

Hello first post here but a longtime lurker.
I just purchased my first Ebike a 2020 COMO 3.0 and love it. I decided to try the Planet3 gear... https://test.planet3.bike/shop/2020-turbo-como/

I live in the USA and it only took 5 days to get to my door. I installed it within 5 minutes with zero issues. I did use common sense and read the directions.
I just got back from a ride and was able to pedal at 30 MPH with no real effort on a flat smooth road. Downhill I spun out in my tallest gear at 39 MPH.

I am super impressed! If you are considering trying to derestrict the speed of your bike Planet3 is a great solution and it isn't expensive.
The Planet 3 works great however your speedometer and distance travelled will not be recorded properly by the bike.

Does it just show 50 % of actual speed or is it more complex than that?
It is exactly one-third of the speed. I put a good 25 miles on the bike tonight after installing it. I compared the specialized computer display to a gps mph app and a speed sensing "speed limit" sign and everything checked exactly at one-third.

Now that I know how a class three bike would perform I may change it back to 20mph assist. I am in a densely populated city that has been bike-friendly for years. The drivers have become used to 16 mph to 18 mph riders. 25mph and over they seem to be miscalculating how fast you are really going and how much time they have to do things. So I see a greater potential for accidents. FWIW I have spent about 12 years commuting 24 miles each way before covid. If I could trust myself enough to keep the speed down I would keep it de-restricted... ah I guess I'll put some more miles on it tomorrow and decide for sure.

Derestrictors are more important for Europe (and Australia, Japan...) where the speed limiter stops you at 15.5 mph (and probably even less for Japan). No wonder most of derestrictors come from Europe (Planet3 is Croatian but you surely know about that).

It is exactly one-third of the speed. I put a good 25 miles on the bike tonight after installing it. I compared the specialized computer display to a gps mph app and a speed sensing "speed limit" sign and everything checked exactly at one-third.

Now that I know how a class three bike would perform I may change it back to 20mph assist. I am in a densely populated city that has been bike-friendly for years. The drivers have become used to 16 mph to 18 mph riders. 25mph and over they seem to be miscalculating how fast you are really going and how much time they have to do things. So I see a greater potential for accidents. FWIW I have spent about 12 years commuting 24 miles each way before covid. If I could trust myself enough to keep the speed down I would keep it de-restricted... ah I guess I'll put some more miles on it tomorrow and decide for sure.
Thanks. That makes sense to me. If the display shows 9 mph, it's really going 27 mph. And I imagine you'll learn how much speed you want to use vs how much battery charge you have for your commute pretty quickly.

Thanks. That makes sense to me. If the display shows 9 mph, it's really going 27 mph. And I imagine you'll learn how much speed you want to use vs how much battery charge you have for your commute pretty quickly.

So I just took it off and rode a few miles in my city. 20mph feels right to me. I have been riding in this environment a long time and I am glad I purchased a class one Como. I saved money with it being left over from 2020 and now I know I really don't need a class 3 bike for 100 dollars.

I used Planet 3's on our class 1 2019 Como 2.0's and decided that we liked the extra speed so we ended up buying class 3 Como's to get the larger capacity batteries and more powerful motors. I much prefer the feel of the class 3 bikes over the derestricted version.

So I just took it off and rode a few miles in my city. 20mph feels right to me. I have been riding in this environment a long time and I am glad I purchased a class one Como. I saved money with it being left over from 2020 and now I know I really don't need a class 3 bike for 100 dollars.
I know the class 1 speed is enough. Specialized doesn't sell any bargains, but the Como3 is a better deal for the money than most. Same geometry with good quality components for a thousand dollars less. I wish it had more torque, but it's OK .

Reviving this thread. I have a 2020 Specialized Como, which I love, and last year my wife and I got a pair of Aventon Pace 500.3s, which I also love. The Paces are Class 3. Recently, a spoke on the motor hub of the Pace broke, and while I am waiting for some replacements from Aventon, I finally decided to give the Planet3 a try so when we ride, I can keep up with my wife on the Specialized. It took about 15 minutes from start to finish to install. First test ride, I got it up to 25mph against a pretty strong headwind. I ordered the Planet3 on Monday, April 22nd, and today is April 25th - shipped from Croatia to Chicago, IL USA in 3 days! Anyway, the service was great. His installation videos are tremendous. And the entire thing couldn't be easier. Yes, the stats are 1/3 the normal stats on the Como readout, but I carry a bike computer anyway to track rides and get an accurate readout of miles traveled, speed, etc. So, if you are looking to de-restrict, I highly recommend the Planet3.

Back