PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
This tread is where to show others a tool and to talk about its use. What do you like about this tool? What is not so great. How do you use it?

I like that it is heavy duty and has a padded grip. I use this extendable ratchet to remove and install bottom brackets. Having extra leverage is very useful.
Remember that the drive side is reverse threaded! Both sides tighten in the direction of pedal travel under power.

Attachments

• ShowUsaTool01.JPG
    ShowUsaTool01.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 527
I've used this tool to install headset crowns on frames, and one balky crown ring on a fork. Half inch threaded rod with a couple of nuts and washers. Replaces a Park Tool press sold for this purpose. I like that i's inexpensive, and in addition to squeezing things together, could spread them out. It could be used to expand a steel dropout some day.

P1650322.JPG

In action. For the crown bearing, I must have had the wrong size, because it took a four foot piece of pipe on my breaker bar to force that sucker on. They should just slip on.

P1650318.JPG P1500516.JPG

Finally, on the subject of special purpose tools, here's the last one I purchased. It's designed to fit into a bathtub drain flange, grab it when expanded and twist it out. Cost 65 bucks and it was my last option before having to cut into the ceiling to get at the drain from the bottom. Wasted my time/money. I did have to cut the ceiling, replace the plumbing and redo the drywall.

PICT0098.JPG

I’m not much of a bike mechanic and it’s probably boring but I really like my new little Pro Bike Tool torque wrench. Went through our Allant+7 bikes and it was very easy to set and use. Certainly not a required tool but I feel safer knowing I can set our bikes to the specific manufacturer’s torque.
BF54E6BE-BA75-4186-918E-4113F5EFA34E.jpeg

This tread is where to show others a tool and to talk about its use. What do you like about this tool? What is not so great. How do you use it?

I like that it is heavy duty and has a padded grip. I use this extendable ratchet to remove and install bottom brackets. Having extra leverage is very useful.
Remember that the drive side is reverse threaded! Both sides tighten in the direction of pedal travel under power.

[/

Oh that kind of tool! For a moment there I thought that EBR was changing its vision. I expected to see politicians or lawyers posted. Please no d#ck picks.😇

This is a standard CCP-22 crank puller with an extension. Each time I use it, it gets one drop of oil in a hole at the tip and on the threads. The tip takes the force and needs to spin freely so yes, lube is a tool. The heat gun shaped PVC extension can be used for many tools and can in of itself be used as a lever to for example, tighten a one-speed or Nexus/Alfine hub chain by levering the wheel away from the bottom bracket shell.

Attachments

• ShowUsaTool02.JPG
    ShowUsaTool02.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 333
This is a standard CCP-22 crank puller with an extension. Each time I use it, it gets one drop of oil in a hole at the tip and on the threads. The tip takes the force and needs to spin freely so yes, lube is a tool. The heat gun shaped PVC extension can be used for many tools and can in of itself be used as a lever to for example, tighten a one-speed or Nexus/Alfine hub chain by levering the wheel away from the bottom bracket shell.
Lube is one of my favorite tools... 👍

Without lube, including the natural type, none of us would be here to talk about our tool and where we put it.
It is amazing though that sometimes you can be fighting something and then just add a few drops and voilà

That said... I don't put my tool anywhere that doesn't come already pre_lubed 🙃

Last edited:
Is this an educational thread for those just starting to put together their tool kits or just show your favorite tool? This is not my favorite tool, but every home bike mechanic should have something to do this job. These are the Felco C7 cable cutters. I use them to cut shifter and brake housing.

Attachments

• Felco.jpg
    Felco.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 348
I don't own this tool, but have almost pulled the trigger a number of times. It is a work of art. It is the Abbey Tools Crombie Tool and the Abbey Tools chain whip. It is used to remove cassettes. What I actually use to do the job is the Park FR-5.2 and an old Campy chain whip. Cassettes are a wear and tear item and you will eventually need to replace them.

Crombie-DS_MainImage_1024x1024.jpg
ChainWhip-STD_MainImage_1024x1024.jpg

I don't own this tool, but have almost pulled the trigger a number of times. It is a work of art. It is the Abbey Tools Crombie Tool and the Abbey Tools chain whip. It is used to remove cassettes. What I actually use to do the job is the Park FR-5.2 and an old Campy chain whip. Cassettes are a wear and tear item and you will eventually need to replace them.

Crombie-DS_MainImage_1024x1024.jpg
ChainWhip-STD_MainImage_1024x1024.jpg
Nice! I also like the red flux capacitor that has been used for 30-years.
1622315023371.png

I use these for cassette and freehub removal. The freehub is to the left. It just screws off but requires the socket to install so it does not just spin.

Attachments

• ShowUsaTool03.JPG
    ShowUsaTool03.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 306
DIY kit builders ought to have one of these, for $13. You have to know your ebike theory to use it, but it sure is handy to verify that the motor sensors work, and that your controller is running.
ebike_tester.jpg

This is handy too, for measuring your battery capacity in AH, peak amps, minimum voltage. Another $13. Used on a charger, you can see how many amps are actually going into the battery,
M6050013.JPG

Attachments

• ebike_tester.jpg
    ebike_tester.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 280
Back