Moustache Friday 27 FS Speed Dual

onlineaddy

Region
USA
City
San Diego, CA, USA
This S-pedelec looks to be a very well thought-out commuting machine:
Moustache-Friday-27-FS-Speed-Dual-2021-DT-News-004-810x540.jpg

Bosch speed motor, dual batteries, Nyon display, 100mm FS, Supernova lighting, Ortlieb QL3.1- and MIK-compatible rear rack, Magura brakes, XT drivetrain, Super Moto-X tires...the list goes on!

Since nobody has provided a review, so far, I can offer some direct experience of my own. It will be long! ;)

I bought a single battery 2020 display model for a fair discount back in February.
The bike was as new. With no sign of any use.
After initial practice, riding up and down on gravel tracks, I am now riding well over a 1000km each month.

The single 625Ah PowerTube battery provides around 70km range in Sport mode when the weather is warm.
I rarely use any other assistance mode now and am averaging 27km/hr over 80-95km rides.
Not enough range for a serious touring bike. So I bought a spare 625 battery and carry it on the rear rack.
I use an Ortlieb Top Tube bag lined with thermal camping mattress foam. A doubled, leather belt ensures it stays put!
This doubles the theoretical range. More importantly, it gives you fresh power as you begin to tire on a longer ride.
You can still use Turbo to get you up those hills at around 30km/hr. [~20mph!]

Using Tour mode on the descents will save a little extra charge. The weight of the Bosch batteries is considerable.
Adding to the weight of the lightly loaded, dual Ortlieb, Classic Roller panniers.

The Moustache rear rack is pure garbage IMO. Notice the fancy, sloping support tubes in the picture?
These block the Ortlieb pannier clips from fitting. Only when the clips are close together is there room.
Which means the bags are unstable and rock back and forth. Detaching themselves at times!

I contacted Moustache about their silly rack design but they told me to contact a dealer! Dugh!
Swapping to a better rack involves finding secure fixings for the close clearance mudguards. Not very likely!

The mudguards keep the wet off but are very close to the fat tires.
When they pick up a stone they scrape inside the mudguard and then fly out.
Making a weird and loud noise. It can frighten you at times when you least expect it!

Riding in muddy conditions would be a real struggle. Perhaps intentionally by Moustache?
To stop you using the bike as an MTB? The forks have a warning notice.
Not to jump or ride the rough stuff. That said I often have to ride on gravel tracks.
Which I usually do at 20km/hr or more. There have never been any problems doing this.

You don't feel the extra weight while riding. You do when you stop!
The bike is now very top heavy and must be managed with great care! The front wheel flops to the side!

The provided prop stand is absolute garbage. So weak I snapped mine off! So I bought a replacement.
The loaded bike needs VERY careful setting up to avoid falling over and it always feels VERY unsafe!

The first thing you discover with the Moustache is that the bottom bracket is high for plenty of ground clearance. MTB style?
No dropper post was supplied so I had to search for one online which would fit the unique Moustache frame.
I wanted maximum rise and drop but there is very limited depth within the frame for the extended seat post.

Without a dropper post you have to dismount and stand astride the top tube every time you stop. Which is LETHAL!
You then have to pull away under power while lifting yourself high enough to safely reach the saddle.
I often caught my jacket on the saddle nose. Until I bought the dropper post.

The Brooks C17 Cambium saddle was smart but a guaranteed shortcut to giving up cycling permanently!
I have owned Brooks leather saddles for years. I bought an early C17 Cambium and it was like a rock!
A total waste of money! The new Cambiums are moulded rubber. Just as hard and just as nasty for touring!
Strictly IMHO of course. I fitted a wide, sprung, Brooks B67 copy from Contec. A great improvement over my narrow B17.

I was getting wrist and hand pain from leaning forwards on the new e-bike.
So I bought an ultrashort, high rise handlebar stem. This solved the problem.
Though it has me sitting comfortably but almost upright. Which is why you need a wider saddle.

The Moustache 'Friday' FS27 is great fun to ride. It always feels very safe and the brakes are powerful.
Do not expect to be able to average 45km/hr or 28mph. Despite my best efforts I rarely exceed 50km/hr or 30mph downhill.
You can't pedal to make it go faster! Not like a "real" bike or trike. So you might as well stop pedaling and enjoy the thrill.

Climbing is only effortless if you are cycling fit. I try to maintain 90+rpm cadence and 30km/hr [20mph] all the time.
Climbing past fit, club cyclists out in a training peloton, as they dance breathlessly on the pedals, is great fun!
You can drop them like they are going backwards at 110rpm! BUT! On the flat it is VERY different.

You will be using Sport mode just to stay with them. Adding bursts of Turbo on the small climbs to avoid being dropped.
Or continuous Turbo mode to overtake! Very naughty! This seriously and very quickly eats into your range and battery charge.
You will definitely need a second battery if you try to keep that up for long!

After using Eco mode, to learn to ride safely, I never use it any more.
Tour mode is fine on the flat with a tailwind or downhill.
Sport mode gives you the speed you want but at HALF the range.
I use Turbo only when in a hurry or to crest a climb. At 1/3 of the Tour mode range!

Sport and Turbo would be fine for a commute well within one battery range.
Only a very fit solo cyclist would have any chance of staying with you.
The Moustache '45' makes you a race fit cyclist. Without EVER being breathless.
Not even on those long, steep climbs! Bottom gear seems quite high.
But is adequate if you use Sport or Turbo modes to keep going.

Attachments

• bike beach 300623 rsz.jpg
    bike beach 300623 rsz.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Back