13 Months and 17,000 kms with Ohm STEPS and it keeps on going, and going, ..........

Ken S

The new Ohm mid motor bike is a real treat, an incredibly solid and comfortable ride!

I'm still getting more than 120 kms on a charge on my hilly commute with power to spare. I still haven't used the third level BOOST other than once in a while by accident, with the ECO and TRAIL settings providing more than enough power when working with the electronic shifting.
The drive train reliability is superb, better than any of the hub motors I've had in the past, not a hit of any change in performance or mechanical wear in the motor and the Di2 shifting other than of course normal wear and tear on the drive train. As for the general wear and tear on components, it's less than or equal to the hub motor equipped bikes.

Hoping for a mild winter but ready for anything other than the ice and snow, when and if that happens it's time to start up the vehicle.

What bike did you buy, the Quest? Good to hear your getting such distance on a single charge. These Ohm ebikes are high quality bikes for sure. We just ordered a pair.

Affirmative on the model. Over 20,000 Kms now in 16 months. The range is a bit less ~ 10-15% in the really cold weather but still great. You'll be happy I'm sure.

Affirmative on the model. Over 20,000 Kms now in 16 months. The range is a bit less ~ 10-15% in the really cold weather but still great. You'll be happy I'm sure.
That a lot of riding. 👍
The nice thing about living on the 'Wet' coast (I live on Vancouver Island) is we can ride all year long.

Awesome milage. If i didn't have to leave every one I know behind, and it wasn't so expensive, I'd move out west!

The new Ohm mid motor bike is a real treat, an incredibly solid and comfortable ride!

I'm still getting more than 120 kms on a charge on my hilly commute with power to spare. I still haven't used the third level BOOST other than once in a while by accident, with the ECO and TRAIL settings providing more than enough power when working with the electronic shifting.
The drive train reliability is superb, better than any of the hub motors I've had in the past, not a hit of any change in performance or mechanical wear in the motor and the Di2 shifting other than of course normal wear and tear on the drive train. As for the general wear and tear on components, it's less than or equal to the hub motor equipped bikes.

Hoping for a mild winter but ready for anything other than the ice and snow, when and if that happens it's time to start up the vehicle.
Ken S.... I have an OHM Quest on my shortlist now, (I'm also considering the new Quest Sport) and I'm questioning whether I really need the extra torque of the EP 8 on the Sport, leaning toward it mostly because of the battery. I would like to see the larger cap. battery on the Quest because I've got a bit of a fixation on range, but possibly the range on the Quest would be ok given the less torque of the 7000 as opposed to the EP 8 on the sport. Saving a bit of $$$ buying the Quest would let me explore options for additional things.
How did you arrange for Di2 for example? Is 85 nm torque overkill? Thanks. CN

Can't honestly say how I got the Di2, -if they had asked me not sure if I would have chosen the option, having had it now for 18 months you'd have to use a crowbar to pry it away from me ;-). Best I can offer is ask them to add it to the build.

Understood on the range, battery anxiety is and will always be there, at least until fast charging technology is standard and available. I've got a second battery on my shopping list for some extended trips this summer if things open up a bit. That was my solution with my old Ohm.

I have some serious hill on my commute and the number of times I have had the bike in Boost I could count on one hand, and that's with TRAIL customized at the low setting (I think set to 50 Nm). But while you may not need the extra torque (depending on your riding terrain) it's always nice to know it's there. Like how many times have you pegged your speedometer in your vehicle at the maximum...
There as well the likelihood that the E8000 will be discontinued in favour of the new one, but not sure how Shimano will handle product life cycle. I'm not personally worried either way the 8000 has be rock solid.
Now if you are doing serious tree climbing (mountain biking) then the extra torque may be desirable.

Can't honestly say how I got the Di2, -if they had asked me not sure if I would have chosen the option, having had it now for 18 months you'd have to use a crowbar to pry it away from me ;-). Best I can offer is ask them to add it to the build.

Understood on the range, battery anxiety is and will always be there, at least until fast charging technology is standard and available. I've got a second battery on my shopping list for some extended trips this summer if things open up a bit. That was my solution with my old Ohm.

I have some serious hill on my commute and the number of times I have had the bike in Boost I could count on one hand, and that's with TRAIL customized at the low setting (I think set to 50 Nm). But while you may not need the extra torque (depending on your riding terrain) it's always nice to know it's there. Like how many times have you pegged your speedometer in your vehicle at the maximum...
There as well the likelihood that the E8000 will be discontinued in favour of the new one, but not sure how Shimano will handle product life cycle. I'm not personally worried either way the 8000 has be rock solid.
Now if you are doing serious tree climbing (mountain biking) then the extra torque may be desirable.
Thanks Ken.
Doesn't your Quest have the 7000? My thinking is with the lower torque the smaller cap. battery may just be ok. (it also reduces a bit of weight as well)
With the Di2, do you have a different component group on your Quest? Is Di2 even available on Deore?
Do you have, or feel the need for a suspension seat post? CN

Thanks Ken.
Doesn't your Quest have the 7000? My thinking is with the lower torque the smaller cap. battery may just be ok. (it also reduces a bit of weight as well)
With the Di2, do you have a different component group on your Quest? Is Di2 even available on Deore?
Do you have, or feel the need for a suspension seat post? CN
I have the E8000. Mine may be a bit of a custom job as I was a long time Ohm rider.
I'd not worry about weight a few lbs here and there are not going to make that much difference in a ebike. The group set = XT, not sure what or if other options are available.
Oh ya on the suspension! Body Float it used be be call, now I think it's "Kinekt", I've had this suspension for many years, it gone through a few (3) bikes now.

Back