Looking for info on E-Glide

pmcraighill

Greetings all!

I'm new to the e-bike market and I love this fantastic resource. I'd love to get some advice and insight from the group. I've been researching a number of bikes in the $1,000-$2,000 range. This company came up in my Googling.

http://www.e-glidebike.com/

I can't find any reviews on this site or among the community. Any insights?

I'm also very interested in the Karmic Koban at $1,600. I love the simplicity of the design. But I'm a little worried about putting money down on a bike that hasn't been delivered yet.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I am also really interested in this e-glide offering. It seems to come from a known and reputable company with a higher probability of good product support when compared with the Freway 27 and the Sondors bikes which are in the same category.

Hi there. I've had my e-glide for about three months and I love it. I'm really pleased with the simplicity, power and durability. It took less than a week to deliver after I ordered and shipping costs were very low. I've got an 18 mile round trip commute on a bike path and this bike is perfect for it. The bike is relatively light and the battery has plenty of charge to get me to and from work.

What's nice about the e-glide is the opportunity to customize it. I upgraded the tires and got the 48 tooth sprocket. After riding for a few weeks I also upgraded the seat and I added a rear rack. If you think you want the rack you should do it with the main order. Several bike shops refused to drill holes in the frame to mount the rack. I got an adapter to mount it, which works fine. But it would have been better to have them do it.

Happy to answer any other questions. I love the bike and would recommend it highly.

Agreed, @pmcraighill , don't suggest drilling into the frame, particularly alloy ones. You stand to loose the bike's warranty and can potentially weaken the structural strength of the frame. There are a number of rear rack adapters and even better, rear racks that bolt on under the seat. The under seat type can't carry as much weight as a typical rack; however, it is an alternative when there are no drilled out mounting holes at the end of the rear stays.

Hi there. I've had my e-glide for about three months and I love it. I'm really pleased with the simplicity, power and durability. It took less than a week to deliver after I ordered and shipping costs were very low. I've got an 18 mile round trip commute on a bike path and this bike is perfect for it. The bike is relatively light and the battery has plenty of charge to get me to and from work.

What's nice about the e-glide is the opportunity to customize it. I upgraded the tires and got the 48 tooth sprocket. After riding for a few weeks I also upgraded the seat and I added a rear rack. If you think you want the rack you should do it with the main order. Several bike shops refused to drill holes in the frame to mount the rack. I got an adapter to mount it, which works fine. But it would have been better to have them do it.

Happy to answer any other questions. I love the bike and would recommend it highly.

I live here in the NW and wondering are you still happy with the bike. I have heard they have sold over 150 bikes, but it surprises me I can really only see that you have said anything about it. Even on their own website they have no reviews. Just wondering because I am about to send them money to put down on a bike to get in later July when they will have it ready. Thanks for getting back to me...

Good questions, @Adventure_Some! Personally, I'd dig just a little more before plunking down $$. Maybe some of our other members have info about thee-glide; I'll certainly do a bit of research in the am and let you know what's found.

Good questions, @Adventure_Some! Personally, I'd dig just a little more before plunking down $$. Maybe some of our other members have info about thee-glide; I'll certainly do a bit of research in the am and let you know what's found.

You're the best... Yes I have spoken to David the owner and he seems nice/ legit and said he has sold 160+ bikes. I want one. But, I would think at least some of those people would have contributed some kind of feedback/ review somewhere. Of course the above individual did and and one person on Amazon. The sight is even set up with a review page... nothin? I would write a review of the bike. I know how important reviews can be, but of course that's just me. Anyway thanks again... just getting into the e-bike thing and would like my first purchase easy.

Last edited:
It's the bike that refuses to be tested. I'm amazed we've gone this long and still have so little information about it.

It's the bike that refuses to be tested. I'm amazed we've gone this long and still have so little information about it.
Thanks for your input Joe. David does say he gives a 30 day guarantee and has been in business selling skate boards for awhile.

Also, for a grand it appears to be a decent bike single speed less stuff to adjust and replace and light so it would be perfect for me. But, very little third party information and that does confuse me a little. David did also say none have been returned. So the refusing to be tested just must be part of his business model. But so little information mmmm..... not even any reviews on his own web site?

Thanks for your input Joe. David does say he gives a 30 day guarantee and has been in business selling skate boards for awhile.

Also, for a grand it appears to be a decent bike single speed less stuff to adjust and replace and light so it would be perfect for me. But, very little third party information and that does confuse me a little. David did also say none have been returned. So the refusing to be tested just must be part of his business model. But so little information mmmm..... not even any reviews on his own web site?

Returning a bicycle is a big process, so "no returns" doesn't tell me much. David can market his bikes whichever way he wants, but I lost patience with waiting for a test and spent my money on a non-electric. I was thinking for the price that the E-Glide would be a nice second e-bike, but the meager knowledge base on it kept me away. Maybe next year...

Returning a bicycle is a big process, so "no returns" doesn't tell me much. David can market his bikes whichever way he wants, but I lost patience with waiting for a test and spent my money on a non-electric. I was thinking for the price that the E-Glide would be a nice second e-bike, but the meager knowledge base on it kept me away. Maybe next year...

Thanks for your dialogue Joe. I am not averse to getting a regular bike. Just thought it would be kind of fun to experiment with an e-bike. More of a toy than anything. I am not a bike commuter. And for entry level this is cheap by comparison. I went over sending the bike back with David and it would be $65. each way. So for $130. and according to him he would give me 30 days as well. Hence my intrigue.

In the end, I just may end up being one of those needed reviews. If I pull the trigger I will be sure to provide my two cents for all it's worth. Thanks again Joe for your input.

So I pulled the trigger and these are my two cents:

I waited 5 weeks to get this bike. Apparently at the time the demand exceeded supply.

My impressions:

1. Was a little worried buying an e-bike unseen especially since I had never ridden one and did not know what to expect. I took the chance anyway. (Investment $1,200. for all the goodies)) I am so glad I did. David the owner said don't worry if you don't like it just send it back for a full refund. And that's not going to happen.

2. Was concerned about my weight 215 lbs being to heavy and so far so good. I live in Seattle and we do have hills. Of course I do have to participate by pedaling pretty good, but that is okay I enjoy the workout. The smaller hills I don't have much pedaling to do. If you want an e-bike that will zoom you up steep hills, then spend 1 or 2 thousand more dollars and add about 10 - 20 pounds more to the bike's weight. I didn't want a moped.

3. No derailleurs to work on a big plus. There is an initial downside until you adapt to it and that is you're basically having to start in what feels like 10th gear, but I am probably exaggerating some. So I began reminding myself when I stop at an intersection to be in full assist mode and that rectified the situation. You can always use full throttle as well to help you get up to get started. I only use the motor about maybe 30% of the time if that much. Mainly to get up to get up hills faster then I rely on my own power so I get a pretty good workout. Like I said I didn't want a moped.

And speaking of 30% of the time, I went 10 miles yesterday and the battery indicator didn't budge. I came home to charge it and was charged in like 30 minutes like I hadn't even rode the bike.

4. Customer service - Outstanding.

5. It will shock you if you have never ridden an e-bike. It is so much fun I don't want to stop riding it and it has been 4 days now. But I do have other responsibilities.

In the end, I lucked out. There were so many options out there. I could have easily bought something else. Now this is just my opinion I am sure there are going to be some naysayers out there. But for me I feel like a made a good decision. Although, who knows in the coming weeks maybe things could change although I doubt it.

I don't think you can beat the value of this eBike.

I purchased this directly from E-Glide and picked it up at the shop in Santa Monica. I have now had it for about 4 weeks and have put over 100 miles on it.

I am very impressed. My commute is 2.5 miles each way. Kind of on a whim, I did some web surfing about electric bicycles. Many of them are in the $3000 range. I saw the E-Glide ad for about $1,000. That price was low enough for me to say, sure, lets get one and try it. A week later, I went down to pick up the bike.

I think the reason the bike is so much less expensive than competitors is that it is simpler. The single speed is genius. Because the motor is used with pedal assist, I do not see any reason to need gearing. The gearing seems like a nice feature, but it adds complexity that can break, needs much more maintenance and increases the price. Bottom line, no need to shift gears with an electric motor attached.

I upgraded the tires to the ones recommended to be least likely to get a flat, Marathon. I also upgraded the seat to the more comfortable gel seat. Even though I have not ridden a bike in quite some time, the seat has been very comfortable and I have not had any discomfort. I also added a rear rack.

On a flat surface with full throttle, no pedaling, it goes about 22 MPH. I live up a steep hill. I need to pedal assist to go up it. My guess is you will only need to pedal assist if the slope is more than a 3% grade. For my purposes, the 350 watt motor is more than adequate. I do not mind pedal assisting on the hill.

Battery life. It is advertised to have a 20 mile range. My commute is only 5 miles round trip. I have gone 2 nights without a charge and it still worked fine after 15 miles. No apparent drop off on power to the wheel to me. I usually charge every night any way since I do not want to think about when to charge. However, there is a battery indicator with 4 lights to give you an idea about how much charge you have left.

The brakes are ok. I think they are sufficient, but when I do go down my steep hill, I keep it under 30 MPH because I do not think they are strong enough to make me comfortable stopping quickly above that speed. Disc brakes would be nicer but I'm sure they would make the bike more expensive. If these bikes sell as well as I suspect they will due to the great combination of usability, reliability for being single speed, and cost, then perhaps the manufacturer will decided to add some pricier models that would include things like disc brakes.

I bought the E-Glide SF and after two weeks I really like the simplicity of the bike. It has a full suspension which makes for a much mor comfortable ride. I bought it to put on my sailboat so the 41 lb weight was a big reason for me. The 350W motor is sufficient to pull me along nicely. I'm 6'1" 190lbs and the seat can adjust high enough for me.

Back