GenZe closes its US operations

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
GenZe is shutting down its operations in the US due to multiple factors: COVID-19, tough US market conditions for scooters and poor marketing.

They had a plant in Michigan and did many of the design and production in-house.

For someone with deep pockets in the E-bike space, this might be a good time to purchase their parts and tooling machinery.

That’s bad news for the Helbiz ebikeshare that used Genze 200 series, they only entered the US Bikeshare market this year. With Revel e-moped share reportedly also in trouble, and Uber/Jump gone, soon DC might only have whatever shared ebikes Lyft/Motivate may at some point decide to supply the Capital Bikeshare system, plus day rentals from Pedego Alexandria, and the ubiquitous scooters that will presumably disappear once the VC money runs out.

Last edited:
That’s bad news for the Helbiz ebikeshare that used Genze 200 series, they only entered the US Bikeshare market this year. With Revel e-moped share reportedly also in trouble, and Uber/Jump gone, soon DC might only have whatever shared ebikes Lyft/Motivate may at some point decide to supply the Capital Bikeshare system, plus day rentals from Pedego Alexandria, and the ubiquitous scooters that will presumably disappear once the VC money runs out.

Sorry to hear this news that another EBike company is closing. Let's hope the article on Electrek attracts some VC interest for the assets.

Well, I guess that makes our bikes collector items!
Now when it is done, instead of a couple of dollars for scrap metal, Now I can get meaga bucks!
Keep looking up! Ken.

I have lots of GenZe parts. Including computers, displays, controls, wheels (complete rear wheels) cables, grips, handle bars and frames.
Also GenZe says Mahindra will keep supplying parts for their products. New products coming next year. I service GenZe, Rad, izip, ezip and others. Located in Brighton MI. 9903 Weber Suite 2. Charity Bicycles, Inc. 810-986-6865

I have lots of GenZe parts. Including computers, displays, controls, wheels (complete rear wheels) cables, grips, handlebars and frames.

Also GenZe says Mahindra will keep supplying parts for their products. New products coming next year.
I service GenZe, Rad, izip, ezip, and others. Located in Brighton MI. 9903 Weber Suite 2. Charity Bicycles, Inc. 810-986-6865

Welcome to EBR and thanks for posting here, EBike technician. 😉

Good to know where other EBR members and owners can find parts.

Last edited:
Will Genze still support their warranties? It looks like they are still selling bikes (even "near new" ones) on their website.

Were the Genze bicycles made in the USA or India?

If they are produced in India, does anyone know if they will be available under a different source or name?

Beverly Howard

US bikes were assembled in the US at Ann Arbor, MI. Unclear if Mahindra supplied the frames from India.

The components other than the control panel would seem to be available from other sources.

fwiw, I have two, a 100 and 101 (2,500 miles apart) and am very happy with them although I don't have much time on either.

Many years ago, (the 60's) one of the original "10 speeds" was my primary transportation, originally when stationed in Berlin and then commuting across Austin, Texas when I got back, but, at that time, the streets finally became too scary.

I'm trying to get back to bicycles and these make it pretty easy.

I like almost everything about them except the User Manual... It made discovering how to use the electrics very difficult, so, I am rewriting the operational section for my wife and friends.

Anyone interested in getting an easier to read and understand copy?

Thanks for the response,
Beverly Howard

Last edited:
I have lots of GenZe parts. Including computers, displays, controls, wheels (complete rear wheels) cables, grips, handle bars and frames.
Also GenZe says Mahindra will keep supplying parts for their products. New products coming next year. I service GenZe, Rad, izip, ezip and others. Located in Brighton MI. 9903 Weber Suite 2. Charity Bicycles, Inc. 810-986-6865
I used to own a Genze. I bought a 2nd battery as a backup that I didn't end up needing. Genze is willing to give me a refund but I need to have it shipped to Pontiac, MI (the freight cost is $600. The battery costs less at $400). Do you know of a cheaper alternative to ship a lithium ion battery from California to Michigan?

Do you know if it's possible to add a display/controller to the "Model B" version of the e222 Genze (the one that doesn't come with a display or controller besides the power button) in a way that would enable rider to choose between different levels of pedal assist? Also wondering if there's a way to make use of the solar panel built into the front basket? I haven't been able to find info on Mahindra saying they will continue to supply parts for GenZe, but that's great news. Do you have any other details on that? Do you know if they are still honoring warranty? Thanks!

Will Genze still support their warranties? It looks like they are still selling bikes (even "near new" ones) on their website.
Great question - I haven't yet been able to find anything about Mahindra continuing to support GenZe warranties yet

Great question - I haven't yet been able to find anything about Mahindra continuing to support GenZe warranties yet
There's a company that will take care of GenZe warranties. Cant remember where i came across the info 🤔. I remember seeing the website. Contact Dave Wolfe via phone from Charity Bikes

Back