2020 Allant + 8S Battery Issues

RedRider20

Hi all, new to EBR but I’m looking for some help with my new Trek Allant + 8S.

I picked up the bike on 4/24 and I’ve been having some serious battery issues. A few times during riding, I’ll get the error code 606 on my Cobi screen and the bike will completely turn off. After a few seconds (10-15) I’ll try to turn it back on and it’s functional. I told the LBS what was happening and I dropped it off to them. They ran diagnostics and opened up service tickets with both Trek and Bosch. Apparently during assembly, a tech can choose to make the battery contact cavity “extra tight” which can make it difficult to remove/mount the battery or can make it looser, resulting in sometimes poor contact between the battery terminals and the bike body.

They also did a software update, tweaked the assembly, and said that the problem ~may~ be resolved. Picked it up a few days ago, went for another ride yesterday, and the exact same error happened. I’m dropping it back off tomorrow to the shop for them to troubleshoot the issue, but I can’t help but be frustrated that a two week old $4300 bike is having this issue. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any insight? I’ve taken a look at the manual for what the error indicates and it’s apparently external wiring.
Just wondering if I got a lemon and what parts may need a replacement...

Hi Red, have to agree that must be really frustrating. I got a Trek Allant + 8S on Wed (5/6). I've put almost 100 miles on it so far and no issues. I really like it.

I have had an 8S for about 6 weeks. Sometimes when I hit a bump, the motor shuts off. I can easily restart it by pushing the start button or sometimes it quickly comes back on by itself. I believe I got error code 606 one time. I have not taken it back to the shop yet, but plan to at some time.

I did a ride yesterday and had one issue. I was mostly coasting down a 16 mile, 4500 ft descent. I had it in ECO mode on the flatter sections. I was using a smartphone with the Cobi app. The app looked normal except, the led bars indicating the assist level were not on. Thinking the motor had stopped, I hit the start/stop button on the control unit, but nothing really changed. I stopped the bike, and turned the unit on and off again, but this time all four bars came on indicating it was in turbo mode. I could not change the assist level using the mode control buttons. I rebooted my phone and the bike motor and all was fine after that. Not sure if was the bike or the Cobi app that was not working properly and it may have been possible the motor shut off at some time during the descent.

Other than that episode, my ride yesterday was great. I live at 9,000 ft altitude (Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah) and went to the mouth of the canyon and back up 16 miles and 4500 ft altitude gain. On the way up I used tour mode exclusively, except for a 3 mile section near the top of the canyon when I was tired and hit a strong headwind. Went to Sport mode for about 3 miles but finished in Tour mode. Used 67% of battery on this trip. The bike was great for the canyon, but I did not have confidence to corner on the fast downhills like on my road bike. Likely not a smart thing to do.

If I have other issues or solutions, I will keep everyone posted, but at least part of my problem seems like a loose connection.

So your daily riding is Big Cottonwood Canyon? I haven’t been there since 1972, but I still remember that great drive up to Brighton. Nice Surroundings!

So your daily riding is Big Cottonwood Canyon? I haven’t been there since 1972, but I still remember that great drive up to Brighton. Nice Surroundings!

Yes, I ride in the Canyon but with an unassisted bike it was a little much to do often so I would transport the bike to the valley. Being able to limiting transporting the bike, ride the canyon more frequently, and ride over Guardsman and Empire passes to go to Park City were big factors in getting an electric bike.

I picked up the bike on 4/24 and I’ve been having some serious battery issues. A few times during riding, I’ll get the error code 606 on my Cobi screen and the bike will completely turn off. After a few seconds (10-15) I’ll try to turn it back on and it’s functional. I told the LBS what was happening and I dropped it off to them. They ran diagnostics and opened up service tickets with both Trek and Bosch. Apparently during assembly, a tech can choose to make the battery contact cavity “extra tight” which can make it difficult to remove/mount the battery or can make it looser, resulting in sometimes poor contact between the battery terminals and the bike body.

They also did a software update, tweaked the assembly, and said that the problem ~may~ be resolved. Picked it up a few days ago, went for another ride yesterday, and the exact same error happened. I’m dropping it back off tomorrow to the shop for them to troubleshoot the issue, but I can’t help but be frustrated that a two week old $4300 bike is having this issue. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any insight? I’ve taken a look at the manual for what the error indicates and it’s apparently external wiring.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200513060431715_COVER.jpg

I picked up my 8S almost the same day you did. I had an issue where the battery popped out during rides. It may be a similar cause as your issue, but with different results.
The popping out happened a couple times. Also, once or twice the power cut out briefly when riding over rough terrain. I thought it was me the first time, not knowing how to properly lock the battery in. But the second time, after making sure the battery was truly locked in, I knew it was not my carelessness.
I called Trek, and they said that they will cover the damage and that I should get my bike in ASAP. They were really great.
They thought that it was adjustments to how tight and/or loose the battery lock mechanism was. Instead of taking it right into the shop, I removed the lock and the top battery mounts ( 4 T-20 bolts). I then reinstalled it. Since the, no issues whatsoever.
I went to my bike shop to file the claim for a new battery cover. When it arrives, I'll ask them to make adjustments to the mounts if necessary.
I know how frustrating it can be. I love this bike. Technically you still have some time to return the bike or exchange it. The problem is. There are probably no other 8S's available anywhere until later this summer.
Good luck. I hope it all works out.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200513060431715_COVER.jpg

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200513060329421_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200513060329421_COVER.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 511
200 miles in two weeks on my Allant+ 8s and no issues. I have not removed the battery at all. I did re-adjust the handlebar as I felt the light was pointed slight upwards and it doesn't appear you can just adjust the light. One of the grips locking bolt was slightly stripped so I had to use a small hammer to the hex wrench to get it to grip the bolt. Enjoying the bike very much.

I was mostly riding a Stromer ST2 before purchasing the Allant+. Honestly, the Stromer is a better bike BUT the Stromer LBS in Atlanta closed leaving me with no support. Literally if I walked into a bike shop with the Stromer I was usually stopped in the parking lot by someone telling me they were not allowed to work on electric bikes that they did not sell. Closest Stromer shop is 300+ miles away. The Stromer is going up for sell soon. Getting the front well bearings adjusted before selling (LBS made ME take the wheel off and just bring it in LOL).

The Trek shops in Atlanta are top notch (FreeFlite and Atlanta Cycling) and even after reading all of GuruUno's horror stories, I still chose Trek because of the LBS support and my belief that Trek will do the right thing.

Note: the Gen4 motor is MUCH louder than my Cannondale Synapse Neo2 with ActiveLine Plus. That motor is virtually silent. That is a nice road bike. I just prefer the larger tires for the type of riding around the city.

Last edited:
Lowndes...I too had the battery of my Allant 9 pop out damaging the cover. I assumed it was me not locking the battery correctly though I had already ridden 10 miles that day. I’ll take the post/picture into LBS and hopefully recoup the money I put down on the new parts (cover/handle) I’ve ordered

Maybe best to the the LBS review the lock mechanism from time to time. I'm always pretty careful about locking the battery in and then testing it by trying to pull it out. But one can't simulate a pothole very easily. After the early posts here about batteries flying, I also started using a velcro strap. I don't know if it would fully prevent the battery from flying if I hit a large pothole though.

Hit a bump yesterday and the motor lost connection to the battery. The battery did not dislodge, but I had no power. I forgot my key so I had no way to fix. I rode for another mile or so hoping it would reconnect but no dice. So, I called the wife to come pick me up as I was too far from home to push without the motor. Then, while I was waiting and as using my phone playing with the Cobi app, the battery connected again. While stationary, the battery somehow connected again.

To me, this seems like a Bosch issue, more than Trek. I'm not going to take the bike in yet, but I will monitor and report back to this forum if I have any other issues. I will be sure to take my key from now on.

Lowndes...I too had the battery of my Allant 9 pop out damaging the cover. I assumed it was me not locking the battery correctly though I had already ridden 10 miles that day. I’ll take the post/picture into LBS and hopefully recoup the money I put down on the new parts (cover/handle) I’ve ordered
Good luck

Hit a bump yesterday and the motor lost connection to the battery. The battery did not dislodge, but I had no power. I forgot my key so I had no way to fix. I rode for another mile or so hoping it would reconnect but no dice. So, I called the wife to come pick me up as I was too far from home to push without the motor. Then, while I was waiting and as using my phone playing with the Cobi app, the battery connected again. While stationary, the battery somehow connected again.

To me, this seems like a Bosch issue, more than Trek. I'm not going to take the bike in yet, but I will monitor and report back to this forum if I have any other issues. I will be sure to take my key from now on.
I would not hasten to blame Bosch for that because they do not control how the Trek techs asemble /adjust the Bosch components on the bike. My wife's Trek Powerfly needed a battery mount adjustment when new but has had no further problems in two years.

I should have replied sooner after my LBS adjusted the battery mount. Now it is stable, secure and works just like it should. I no longer tie elastic bands around the battery. I agree with Steve - It's more about the Trek techs than the design. Oh, and Trek sent a new battery cover to replace the damaged one, free of charge.

Look, whether or not any or all agree or disagree, this Allant series seems to be PLAGUED with issues.
Yes, it was pushed to market way before it was tested properly.
We shall await the outcome of the end result.
Just like the 1 year bastard, as an analogy, the iPhone X, a 1 year bastard stepchild, replaced the next year by the iPhone XR.
One year wonder, that's the Allant series.
This is my opinion, nothing else.
We shall see if Trek eats it or sucks it up.
Yes, they are the best of the best, but come on, really!
One problem after another.

LBS did replace my cover on Trek’s dime though now I can’t unlock the cover...they said bring it back in, but I’m having too much fun riding the bike so will take it back when the Onyx hub comes in

My allant+ 8s has been perfect bought in Jan 2020, have 2000 miles on it. Only app software issues very minor with Cobi. Compss off 90 degrees snd contact list showing different contacts.

Back