30+ Mile Day Yesterday

pocomo

Background: I have a 750W Lectric BBS02 kit on my bike with the 48V/11.6ah/557wh battery. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now, and really enjoying riding extensively for the first time in years. I commute to work each day and charge the battery overnight each night, plus some play riding on the weekends.

I had my longest range day yesterday, commuting into Boston for an appointment in the morning (google maps' bicycle mode pointed me to lots of bike paths/lanes, but some were damn bumpy!), back to work, out for errands at lunchtime and then back home in the evening. Weather was beautiful, I really enjoyed every minute of it. All told it was 31.4 miles, and my display showed 1 'segment' remaining when I got home. We do have quite a bit of hilly terrain around here, and I kept the bike in PAS level 3 the majority of the time (probably 90% of the time, the remainder at a lower setting in crowded areas). I did notice somewhat of a dropoff in 'kick' as the battery dropped below half, but it was still helping me crank up the large hills on the way home at 10 - 12 mph in third gear (and without tremendous exertion on my part).

PAS 3 seems to provide boost up to 18.5 mph, and also seems to keep the peak assist level below 500W, which works well for my riding style. I really don't use the throttle at all and plan to remove it over the winter.

I'd love to hear about other newbies' experience with range.

Sounds like your enjoying your bike. I can just tell you that with my St2 I have begun to learn the range of travel after lots of miles ,which is amazing to me how far that is.

Excellent, pocomo - especially with lots of hills! What the throttle does is allow you to ride the bike with no assistance at all until you really need it. For riders who are stronger, they get incredible range this way; for the rest of us, the pedal assist is more efficient. ;)

Pomoco, I have a bbs02, 13 amp, fat tire bike, I believe, a bit heavier than ur bike pomoco. I tend to ride more aggressive, use PAS 4-5, and use throttle up steep hill and bike trails around Mt. Diablo here Bay Area , Ca. Trails. That said, I did approximately, 25 miles until I bleed battery dry. My reward is this cool picture of this Triacula I almost ran over while biking, fun. P.S. this time of the year you see dozens of Triacula walking around Mt. Diablo trials because it's mating season.

Attachments

• 2015-09-17 01.46.39.jpg
    2015-09-17 01.46.39.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 504
Hey Sal - Mt. Diablo looks like a cycling mecca to me, lucky you. 25 miles with heavy use of the motor is pretty damn good! I'm glad you got your early 'bugs' ;) worked out and are out enjoying the area.

What happens when the battery is completely drained - I assume the display/motor just shuts off with no warning?

Hey Sal - Mt. Diablo looks like a cycling mecca to me, lucky you. 25 miles with heavy use of the motor is pretty damn good! I'm glad you got your early 'bugs' ;) worked out and are out enjoying the area.

What happens when the battery is completely drained - I assume the display/motor just shuts off with no warning?
No, we get a warning, funny you ask.... because last week I heard a beeping sound from controller / battery area. I couldn't figure out what it was, my battery level dropped from 3 to 0, while heavy use. Then I saw battery indicator bleak to empty. Then occurred to me, it telling me battery level low, it give you a warning with a beep. This is good, it warns us.

No, we get a warning, funny you ask.... because last week I heard a beeping sound from controller / battery area. I couldn't figure out what it was, my battery level dropped from 3 to 0, while heavy use. Then I saw battery indicator bleak to empty. Then occurred to me, it telling me battery level low, it give you a warning with a beep. This is good, it warns us.

Thats interesting, never heard that mentioned about the BBS02 before.... how far is left after that do you reckon??

Thats interesting, never heard that mentioned about the BBS02 before.... how far is left after that do you reckon??
Ya, it gives u maybe 4 or 5 miles, approximately. It beeps only when battery at no bars... as u know, the more u push the envelope, the battery level fluctuates from 2, 1, bar. Don't forget, unlike ur bbs02, I have my unlocked, so I'm maxing out power output, ur not yet. So I'm more likely to get a beep than u.

Back