$3-5k NYC Commuter

Whoisthisdude

I'm currently looking to get my first ebike, and have a budget of $3-5k. I'll be using the bike everyday for commuting to my office in downtown Manhattan, and would like something that will be very reliable, comfortable/safe andfun to ride. As far as features are concerned, it seems like something with a removable battery would be ideal for apartment living, and i don't have too much preference between 20mph and 28mph-rated bikes so long as the drive system works smoothly (a belt drive and hub shifter would be nice if there's one in/around my price bracket). I’ve seen products from Bulls, Specialized and a few other brands that seem to fit most of what I want, but wanted to ask for some suggestions. Thanks for your help!

6'3" ~200lbs

Last edited:
How far of a commute? Will you have a secure place to park at the office? What do you need to carry? How will you get the bike into your apartment; is space an issue, or only weight?

The commute is relatively short, about 5 miles each way. I have a secure bike room at work, so that shouldn’t be much of an issue. I typically wear a backpack with my laptop etc., although a rear rack would be nice for carrying groceries etc. My apartment is on the first floor and has an elevator to a bike storage space in the basement, so weight isn’t a huge concern nor is storage space (though I think it would be nice to have a battery I can remove and charge in my apartment).

Thanks! Any thoughts on the smoothness and dependability of the ST1's rear-hub motor vs some of the mid-drive setups (ex. those on semi-comparable setups to the ST1 like Specialized Vado 5.0, Gazelle T10, Moustache Friday/Samedi and Bulls Twenty8)? It seems getting something with a belt without extending my budget a bit to get into the lower-end R+M setups might be difficult, so I'm keeping an open mind as far as that feature is concerned.

I've also seen that Stromer has been offering some discounts, any intel on the discounts you were able to get when purchasing?

Last edited:
I decided on the rear-hub because I'm a big guy in a hilly neighborhood; I rode a number of different bikes. VanMoof X3 (really nice, but underpowered); the Allants and SuperCommuters from Trek, the Vado line from Specialized, a Gazelle Ultimate, and an R&M Delite with belt drive. I would have sprung for the R &M if I were more confident in the global economy, but nearly $10k on a bike seemed a bit much for the moment.

I decided on the rear-hub because I'm a big guy in a hilly neighborhood; I rode a number of different bikes. VanMoof X3 (really nice, but underpowered); the Allants and SuperCommuters from Trek, the Vado line from Specialized, a Gazelle Ultimate, and an R&M Delite with belt drive. I would have sprung for the R &M if I were more confident in the global economy, but nearly $10k on a bike seemed a bit much for the moment.

Great background, thank you. I'd seen the VanMoof, but was a bit suspect about quality given the brand's age. Do like the lay
Check out wattwagons
Pushkar just announced a new commuter bike
Does the commuter come with a motor? The site is a bit confusing, no motor mentioned in the specs as far as I can tell and there's a tab for a separate purchase of the motor. Seems pretty close to what I'm looking for if the motor is included at $3.2k.

Does the commuter come with a motor? The site is a bit confusing, no motor mentioned in the specs as far as I can tell and there's a tab for a separate purchase of the motor. Seems pretty close to what I'm looking for if the motor is included at $3.2k.
The WW City Commuter uses the Bafang M600 mid-drive motor:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I looked at ST1x, Allant and Vado. Bought the Vado....hands down easy decision. VERY happy with it. Smooth, solid, comfortable, wicked fast, good LBS support, great looking, etc.

Maybe a fixie isn't for you, but if I needed something for relatively short commute on city streets the Luna Fixed Stealth would be at top of my list. 500w torque mid drive, belt drive, igh, 39lbs and under $1800 us. Battery is built into down tube though. They used to almost always be available for purchase, not now of course.

1590627739422.png

Maybe a fixie isn't for you, but if I needed something for relatively short commute on city streets the Luna Fixed Stealth would be at top of my list. 500w torque mid drive, belt drive, igh

I guess Luna wanted to give it a cool name, but it is not cool to call a non-fixie bike "Fixed."

Back