25% tariff hits 8/23/18 !!

Rad up $200 on bikes as of 8/23 accessories not affected. I love giving more to the government. Fortunately, my bike arrives today!

My LBS is raising the price of my Pedego Platinum Interceptor by $400 effective 9/1/18

Two firms I know of raising prices on their e-bikes, 25%, effective 8/23. Biria and Ecomotion. That could be cost to dealers, so end price could be higher than 25% increase at retail level. Anyone heard of any others raising prices yet ? Some OEMS may try to file for an exemption with USTO.

I'm glad I purchased my wife's Radcity Step-thru back in May with free shipping and $50 discount. Was thinking about purchasing a new vehicle in the next 6-12 month. Looks like I might have to put more miles on the ebikes to make my older vehicles last a little longer.

Rad's landed costs on their ebikes are likely $800 or less. So if they are 'absorbing' any of the tariff, its minimal at best. This is an opportunity for some company's like Rad, to actually increase margin, assuming most of their competition's prices go up even more. The door actually opens more for conversions, as the gap gets wider between entry level ebikes like Rad's and doing a kit. One firm's 'loss' is another 'firm's' gain. Not to be cynical, but what if other OEM's making ebikes in countries (not named China) simply raise their prices 20%, instead of 25% ? In the end, these tariff's mostly affect the consumer, and potentially harm LBD's sales. YoY growth from 2017 to 2018 probably will look good for many here in the US, but 2019 versus 2018 comparison may not be as rosy from a unit sales standpoint. At least its not the 83% increase the EU is threatening.

My LBS is raising the price of my Pedego Platinum Interceptor by $400 effective 9/1/18

EDIT:

Mike, at my local lbs called to correct an earlier statement he made. He originally told me Pedego was raising prices on 9/1/18 but the date is actually 8/23.

Since I purchased Pedego Platinum Interceptors for my wife and I four months ago, I've been looking for a third e-bike for relatives & friends to use when they visit as well as to have a spare when one is in the shop. I considered a conversion kit for one of my Trek conventional bikes but decided my time and effort weren't worth the savings a kit would bring.

Being unable to find a more suitable model for the type of riding we do, I went ahead and ordered a third interceptor in advance of the price increase. I wanted to take my time looking in the hopes something new would hit the market but I couldn't ignore the looming cost increase.

I’ve had a great year, until now. This is brutal for the small shops, and probably just as hard for the bigger guys. Most still don’t see an eBike as an alternative to their cage. If there were some alternatives, but there are no N American motor builders or decent rim makers. Totally disgusted. No one in bikes is being helped. The American bike factories are big box junk builders. Grrrrrrr

I’ve had a great year, until now. This is brutal for the small shops, and probably just as hard for the bigger guys. Most still don’t see an eBike as an alternative to their cage. If there were some alternatives, but there are no N American motor builders or decent rim makers. Totally disgusted. No one in bikes is being helped. The American bike factories are big box junk builders. Grrrrrrr

Back