2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

I dont like posting videos, but I cant be bovvered screenshoting, and Im sat outside in the sun and can barely see the screen.
This is the loop ride along the coast, it was such a splendid few hours in the elements.

Stunning scenery! Fun commentary, too.

I'd only change one thing: When you said, "That's a bit dodgy" on the steep rocky descent at 2:20, I would have said, "Holy crap, no way I'm riding that on the edge of a cliff!"

I rode 17 miles today, very hot and humid these days. A couple of pictures of the crops. The old saying used to be knee high by the 4th of July for corn this is already waist high.

IMG_3456.jpeg
IMG_3455.jpeg

1718635614878.png

I finally caught a break in the weather again but only had a 5-6 hour window going by the forecast so I reckoned I could get an 80 miler done in the time allotted before the heavy rain was due to hit! I set off at 7am with dry roads greeting me after we had monsoon rains yesterday, I wasn't expecxting that and sure wasn't complaining! ;) With a light westerly wind and a temp of 10C conditions were just perfect, I headed down the back roads to Carluke and over to Yieldshields and stayed on the back roads out to Auchengray! From there I headed due south on yet more back roads to the village of Kaimend where I stopped for my first photos with the Pentland and Tinto hills in the background!

1718636609893.jpeg

I loved this descent down into the village, its actually the first time I have gone down it as I usually climb it...

1718636700941.jpeg

I grabbed more photos in the village before heading down the big descent into Newbigging!

1718636801645.jpeg

1718636824770.jpeg

1718636839813.jpeg

1718636853762.jpeg

At Newbigging I turned east for Dunsyre, another nice quiet back road and didn't see a single car for many miles! The road actually runs between the Pentland hills and has lots of ups and downs to enjoy and enjoy them I did!:D

This was the view to the south before the big climb!

1718637375529.jpeg

1718637390519.jpeg

1718637404216.jpeg

Then the view to the north near the top of the climb!

1718637434915.jpeg

1718637449685.jpeg

I was now heading towards Dolphinton where I would join the main A702 for a bit, but I spotted a back road and decided to explore it and discovered an awesome fast descent! I then spotted some machinery in the distance and found they were working on the ditches and had made a proper mess of the road! Thankfully I was able to avoid the worst of it and it eventually brought me out on the A702 a few miles further than my usual turnoff! I was now heading for West Linton where it was time to turn for Romanno Bridge and join the main A701 for a few miles, luckily the road was quiet and I was only passed by 1 truck and a few cars! The road leads to Blyth Bridge where I usually turn for Peebles but there was no time to head that way today!

This is just after passing through Blyth Bridge, looking north!

1718638084195.jpeg

1718638097389.jpeg

Blyth Bridge is to the east here!

1718638137493.jpeg

The next village is Kirkdean where I turned west for Elsrickle, the first descent is a cracker!

1718638225594.jpeg

The road then joins the main A702 again where I passed over the main road and down this descent before starting the climb up to Elsrickle!

1718638353757.jpeg

This is looking back down part way up the climb, the roads are in great condition here!

1718638407611.jpeg

Looking south towards Tinto Hill!

1718638442028.jpeg

1718638458594.jpeg

I had an even better view at the top of the climb!

1718638496330.jpeg

1718638512611.jpeg

1718638524366.jpeg

I then came across these lovely Alpacas, I had never noticed them here before!

1718638591863.jpeg

1718638609988.jpeg

After passing through Elsrickle I had a short climb before this awesome descent, the road is very twisty all the way down the descent and so much fun!

1718638681135.jpeg

Another view of Tinto Hill before heading down the descent!

1718638716217.jpeg

From here I started the big climb up through Kaimend and into Carnwath where I headed due north up the big climb to Braehead and then started down the descent towards Wilsontown to find the road closed with no signs warning of the closure...:rolleyes: Thankfully there is a fork in the road and the left fork leads to Forth so I headed that way, from there I started another big climb up to Climpy before hurtling down the descents towards Shotts! Its not the best road due to a lack of maintenance but still a lot of fun! As I was nearing Shotts I spotted a roadie in the distance and because it was a bit of an incline I was catching him quickly, as I passed we exchanged greetings and I continued through the town! Its a slight descent down through the town and I was aware of a noise from behind and looked round to see the roadie standing on the pedals giving it everything to get past me!😂

I think he was a mate of Stefan's @Stefan Mikes :p and didn't like being passed! ;) I just let him go and let him have his fun, he took the climb to the west and for a second I thought about shooting past him up the climb but decided to head north instead! I'm sure he would have bust a gut trying to pass me down the descent...😂 I then turned east towards Harthill to take the back road to Blackridge where I turned west for home and suddenly the rain came from nowhere, it was a good 45 minutes before the rain was due! It was getting pretty heavy but luckily as I passed through the village it eased and eventually stopped!

I did get a few more showers but arrived home to sunshine with 89 miles in the bag, when I got home I had a look at the forecast and it was looking better with heavy rain now expected around 3pm! I had a late lunch and headed back out to complete my 100 miles on my local roads! I never expected to do another 100 miler today but with only 11 miles to go when I got home, it was a no brainer...;) That's now 4 imperial centuries in a row, been a long time since I did that! Probably back in 2012 actually! Another awesome ride on a truly amazing bike, I hope it continues to make me smile for many years!👍

Attachments

• elevation_profile262.jpg
    elevation_profile262.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 12
  • trip-191620998-map-full262.png
    trip-191620998-map-full262.png
    429 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 177678

I finally caught a break in the weather again but only had a 5-6 hour window going by the forecast so I reckoned I could get an 80 miler done in the time allotted before the heavy rain was due to hit! I set off at 7am with dry roads greeting me after we had monsoon rains yesterday, I wasn't expecxting that and sure wasn't complaining! ;) With a light westerly wind and a temp of 10C conditions were just perfect, I headed down the back roads to Carluke and over to Yieldshields and stayed on the back roads out to Auchengray! From there I headed due south on yet more back roads to the village of Kaimend where I stopped for my first photos with the Pentland and Tinto hills in the background!

View attachment 177679
I loved this descent down into the village, its actually the first time I have gone down it as I usually climb it...

View attachment 177680
I grabbed more photos in the village before heading down the big descent into Newbigging!

View attachment 177681
View attachment 177682
View attachment 177683
View attachment 177684
At Newbigging I turned east for Dunsyre, another nice quiet back road and didn't see a single car for many miles! The road actually runs between the Pentland hills and has lots of ups and downs to enjoy and enjoy them I did!:D

This was the view to the south before the big climb!

View attachment 177688
View attachment 177689
View attachment 177690
Then the view to the north near the top of the climb!

View attachment 177691
View attachment 177692
I was now heading towards Dolphinton where I would join the main A702 for a bit, but I spotted a back road and decided to explore it and discovered an awesome fast descent! I then spotted some machinery in the distance and found they were working on the ditches and had made a proper mess of the road! Thankfully I was able to avoid the worst of it and it eventually brought me out on the A702 a few miles further than my usual turnoff! I was now heading for West Linton where it was time to turn for Romanno Bridge and join the main A701 for a few miles, luckily the road was quiet and I was only passed by 1 truck and a few cars! The road leads to Blyth Bridge where I usually turn for Peebles but there was no time to head that way today!

This is just after passing through Blyth Bridge, looking north!

View attachment 177693
View attachment 177694
Blyth Bridge is to the east here!

View attachment 177695
The next village is Kirkdean where I turned west for Elsrickle, the first descent is a cracker!

View attachment 177696
The road then joins the main A702 again where I passed over the main road and down this descent before starting the climb up to Elsrickle!

View attachment 177699
This is looking back down part way up the climb, the roads are in great condition here!

View attachment 177700
Looking south towards Tinto Hill!

View attachment 177701
View attachment 177702
I had an even better view at the top of the climb!

View attachment 177703
View attachment 177704
View attachment 177705
I then came across these lovely Alpacas, I had never noticed them here before!

View attachment 177706
View attachment 177707
After passing through Elsrickle I had a short climb before this awesome descent, the road is very twisty all the way down the descent and so much fun!

View attachment 177708
Another view of Tinto Hill before heading down the descent!

View attachment 177709
From here I started the big climb up through Kaimend and into Carnwath where I headed due north up the big climb to Braehead and then started down the descent towards Wilsontown to find the road closed with no signs warning of the closure...:rolleyes: Thankfully there is a fork in the road and the left fork leads to Forth so I headed that way, from there I started another big climb up to Climpy before hurtling down the descents towards Shotts! Its not the best road due to a lack of maintenance but still a lot of fun! As I was nearing Shotts I spotted a roadie in the distance and because it was a bit of an incline I was catching him quickly, as I passed we exchanged greetings and I continued through the town! Its a slight descent down through the town and I was aware of a noise from behind and looked round to see the roadie standing on the pedals giving it everything to get past me!😂

I think he was a mate of Stefan's @Stefan Mikes :p and didn't like being passed! ;) I just let him go and let him have his fun, he took the climb to the west and for a second I thought about shooting past him up the climb but decided to head north instead! I'm sure he would have bust a gut trying to pass me down the descent...😂 I then turned east towards Harthill to take the back road to Blackridge where I turned west for home and suddenly the rain came from nowhere, it was a good 45 minutes before the rain was due! It was getting pretty heavy but luckily as I passed through the village it eased and eventually stopped!

I did get a few more showers but arrived home to sunshine with 89 miles in the bag, when I got home I had a look at the forecast and it was looking better with heavy rain now expected around 3pm! I had a late lunch and headed back out to complete my 100 miles on my local roads! I never expected to do another 100 miler today but with only 11 miles to go when I got home, it was a no brainer...;) That's now 4 imperial centuries in a row, been a long time since I did that! Probably back in 2012 actually! Another awesome ride on a truly amazing bike, I hope it continues to make me smile for many years!👍
I never get tired of your scenery Rab, spectacular!

Its a slight descent down through the town and I was aware of a noise from behind and looked round to see the roadie standing on the pedals giving it everything to get past me!😂

I think he was a mate of Stefan's @Stefan Mikes :p and didn't like being passed! ;)
I think you could misunderstand my position Rab! :) If I am in your situation, I let the roadie pass me, and then I simply start following him until he cannot mentally stand the fact of being followed! :)

Which reminds me of a little story from my race! Once we racers emerged from the singletracks and found ourselves on asphalt, I began catching up with a gravel cyclist. As I rode side by side with him, I suggested 'Let us have a little race!' and sprinted forward. Of course the man was a good rider and he was ambitious, so within a few seconds he was riding side by side with me again. Then we had a little chat. The man had lost two inner tubes already, and was saved by a good soul who gave him the third tube. I suggested the man going tubeless, and he said he just came up to the same idea :) As I would not stand the pretty high speed, I told the man to continue fast riding, and slowed down :)

There was another man riding an XC bike. Because of my cigarette/water/nutrient short stops, I managed to take the man over for several times, always nicely greeting him. After the last pit-stop, I continued my ride uninterruptedly. On the last kilometre, I passed the very same man for the last time! I could not help myself and uttered a nervous giggle... :D

Last edited:
I think you could misunderstand my position Rab! :) If I am in your situation, I let the roadie pass me, and then I simply start following him until he cannot mentally stand the fact of being followed! :)

Which reminds me of a little story from my race! Once we racers emerged from the singletracks and found ourselves on asphalt, I began catching up with a gravel cyclist. As I rode side by side with him, I suggested 'Let us have a little race!' and sprinted forward. Of course the man was a good rider and he was ambitious, so within a few seconds he was riding side by side with me again. Then we had a little chat. The man had lost two inner tubes already, and was saved by a good soul who gave him the third tube. I suggested the man going tubeless, and he said he just came up to the same idea :) As I would not stand the pretty high speed, I told the man to continue fast riding, and slowed down :)

There was another man riding an XC bike. Because of my cigarette/water/nutrient short stops, I managed to take the man over for several times, always nicely greeting him. After the last pit-stop, I continued my ride uninterruptedly. On the last kilometre, I passed the very same man for the last time! I could not help myself and uttered a nervous giggle... :D
Personally I don't care about being passed, I'm never going to pass a roadie on a slight descent or on the flat on my legal e bike! ;) Some have even passed me going uphill, when that happens I know they are way fitter than me and give them kudos and certainly don't attempt to chase them down...:p

I know they are way fitter than me and give them kudos and certainly don't attempt to chase them down...:p
When the roadie I follow has had enough, I ride side by side with him, greet him, thank him for a wonderful workout he has given me, praise his good riding, make some comments about the wind and the weather, and things like that :)

Although once a roadie demanded I kept the lead so he would follow me, and it was a punishment for me! :D

So I did that hire bike ride in the midday heat of a greek island and now tourists are dropping like flies across the islands.

I avoid spending holiday in very warm countries. Our 2022 trip to hot Tuscany with @Brix did not end up very well even if the region was just gorgeous!

Last edited:
I did 25 miles this morning. About one fourth of the ride was on a road I hadn’t been on before. It was very hot but the wind was thankfully light and when it did kick up it was in my favor. I also hit 5000 miles on it today. A picture of a benchmark I rode by, who else but a surveyor would even notice it.
IMG_3461.jpeg
IMG_3460.jpeg
IMG_3458.jpeg
IMG_3457.jpeg

Last edited:
Back