2023 Specialized Turbo Como 5.0 IGH/Pedal Pace

dbsmith

Region
USA
Just bought a Turbo Como 5.0 IGH with TDCw display. Try as I might I can't find the Pedal Pace page (ref. Section 8.8 of the 2022 manual). Manual says press F2 but the page, with options to re-set pedal pace (cadence) never appears.
Pressing F2 does does seem to be entering "micro tune" as display numbers change color. But the 10% intervals are always matched, i.e. 10/10, 20/20, 30/30 etc. So I don't really know what that's telling me? And the actual Pedal Pace screen (page) showing Fastest to Slowest never appears. Any/all help/suggestions appreciated.

As I wrote before, I'm learning:

LBS service manager called me and coached me through recalibration via Master Mind -- to access the Settings screen needed you have to enter Settings (hold + and -) then continue holding until screen dims. Release buttons, Master Mind re-boots and then hold + and - down again until Settings re-appears -- then Enviolo cal is available.
That re-enables Pedal Pace and bike performs correctly. BUT Master Mind doesn't seem to remember the changes -- if I turn the bike off and re-start, Pedal Pace no longer appears when requested. Going through the routine fixes everything again but that can't be the way it's supposed to work.
Did a Factory Reset of Master Mind, re-calibrated Enviolo using Enviolo cal but that routine did not retain the settings in Master Mind. Note that all this was done without using the Enviolo app -- strictly using Specialized Master Mind.
LBS guy is on vacation until Wednesday but we've agreed that the bike will go back to see if he can identify the problem.
When the bike is working properly (after the Settings, re-boot, Settings routine) Pedal Pace appears as expected and it's a pleasure to ride. But, as noted, haven't found the trick to make Master Mind store the new (correct) settings.
In the process I programmed a screen in Mission Control to show "Gear" and that was helpful -- shows which of the Enviolo hubs 9 "speeds" is engaged -- it IS shifting but it's totally imperceptible. Also, setting Pedal Pace to "Slow" or "Slower" makes pedal effort more closely reflect what I'm used to (from the road bike) -- more pedal effort and higher gear (but also more speed).
Still learning...
Bike will have to go back to LBS to solve the final puzzle -- remember the correct settings!
Did you ever find out how to make it stay connected? I am having the same issue.

LBS service manager called me and coached me through recalibration via Master Mind -- to access the Settings screen needed you have to enter Settings (hold + and -) then continue holding until screen dims. Release buttons, Master Mind re-boots and then hold + and - down again until Settings re-appears -- then Enviolo cal is available.
That re-enables Pedal Pace and bike performs correctly. BUT Master Mind doesn't seem to remember the changes -- if I turn the bike off and re-start, Pedal Pace no longer appears when requested. Going through the routine fixes everything again but that can't be the way it's supposed to work.
Did a Factory Reset of Master Mind, re-calibrated Enviolo using Enviolo cal but that routine did not retain the settings in Master Mind. Note that all this was done without using the Enviolo app -- strictly using Specialized Master Mind.
LBS guy is on vacation until Wednesday but we've agreed that the bike will go back to see if he can identify the problem.
When the bike is working properly (after the Settings, re-boot, Settings routine) Pedal Pace appears as expected and it's a pleasure to ride. But, as noted, haven't found the trick to make Master Mind store the new (correct) settings.
In the process I programmed a screen in Mission Control to show "Gear" and that was helpful -- shows which of the Enviolo hubs 9 "speeds" is engaged -- it IS shifting but it's totally imperceptible. Also, setting Pedal Pace to "Slow" or "Slower" makes pedal effort more closely reflect what I'm used to (from the road bike) -- more pedal effort and higher gear (but also more speed).
Still learning...
Bike will have to go back to LBS to solve the final puzzle -- remember the correct settings!

Still learning...
I am having the same issue with my new Como 5 IGH. I was only able to see the pedal pace / enviolo cal using your method of restarting, but if I turn the bike off it is gone again. I don’t want to have to calibrate the bike every time I ride, I live on a hill and it is inconvenient. LBS says they might need to flash the firmware possibly? Taking it back tomirrow, will let you know what happens. I can connect to the hub just fine using the enviolo app.

Thanks for the report -- good to know I'm not alone!
LBS says the bike has to come back for (unspecified) "warranty repairs". That was a week ago and since then nothing. LBS manager told me they want to have all needed parts on hand before they get the bike "so you are without the bike for as little time as possible." That comment suggests that my LBS doesn't think it's just a "flash the firmware" fix.
I've been riding pretty much every day but always have go through the rigamarole of messing with MasterMind before I start (and the changes are lost as soon as I power the bike off).
Asked LBS for an update Friday but, as yet, no reply.

Ok so I took my bike into the LBS today and it was a completely underwhelming experience. They are a newer Specialized dealer, and unfortunately their repair staff didn't even know what Preferred Pedal Pace was and kept trying to tell me about Eco/Sport/Turbo. I finally came to an understanding with them and we are talking to Specialized. I also called Specialized and suggested they hand hold the LBS through the repair. Fingers crossed! Specialized said it was probably either a loose connection to the hub OR a faulty bike computer unit. I feel like this one could be the fault of my LBS not assembling correctly possibly given how unfamiliar they were with the functioning of the hub.

Just got a call from my LBS. They said Specialized says this is a known issue and that it's going to be fixed "in the next firmware update". And that I could use the enviolo app for now to adjust starting gear. I just am not sure if I believe them. But hopefully so and hopefully it's not a long time coming. They said until then the only other option would be doing the reset/recalibration as was detailed earlier in this thread - every time you ride. But that's not going to work well for me because I live on a super steep hill and am not strong enough to just hold the bike and turn the crank with my arm without riding.

Just got a call from my LBS. They said Specialized says this is a known issue and that it's going to be fixed "in the next firmware update". And that I could use the enviolo app for now to adjust starting gear. I just am not sure if I believe them. But hopefully so and hopefully it's not a long time coming. They said until then the only other option would be doing the reset/recalibration as was detailed earlier in this thread - every time you ride. But that's not going to work well for me because I live on a super steep hill and am not strong enough to just hold the bike and turn the crank with my arm without riding.
I'm the guy who described what you call "the reset/recalibration described in this thread". To be clear: In my experience it is not necessary to do a recalibration (i.e. spin the wheel or take a ride) every time you want to reset to see Pedal Pace. Just doing the "hold down + - until MasterMind reboots, then hold down + - again until Enviolo calc is seen in the menu" is enough -- you don't have to actually run the recalculation to get MasterMind to work correctly. But don't power the bike off before you ride because you will lose the changes!

As noted elsewhere both Specialized (Rider Care in emails directly to me) and my LBS believe my Como 5 needs parts, not simply "a firmware update". It's going back to LBS on June 21.

I'm the guy who described what you call "the reset/recalibration described in this thread". To be clear: In my experience it is not necessary to do a recalibration (i.e. spin the wheel or take a ride) every time you want to reset to see Pedal Pace. Just doing the "hold down + - until MasterMind reboots, then hold down + - again until Enviolo calc is seen in the menu" is enough -- you don't have to actually run the recalculation to get MasterMind to work correctly. But don't power the bike off before you ride because you will lose the changes!

As noted elsewhere both Specialized (Rider Care in emails directly to me) and my LBS believe my Como 5 needs parts, not simply "a firmware update". It's going back to LBS on June 21.
Gotcha, good to know. Thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding. It is interesting that we are getting different answers. Did they tell you what part you need?

Gotcha, good to know. Thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding. It is interesting that we are getting different answers. Did they tell you what part you need?
Rider Care said "a y-connector in the motor case" or "the shift interface" (which is an Enviolo part). But he was guessing. The LBS hasn't really given me their diagnosis or cure. The only remark the service manager made (and I think he was guessing just like Rider Care) was: "It's a warranty repair and we won't get any parts from Enviolo" (which isn't particularly clear!).
I'll post once the bike is back and, hopefully, repaired -- scheduled for a week from today.

Just received my Como back from LBS for repair of Pedal Pace issue. Appears to be fixed, i.e. MasterMind shows Pedal Pace when expected. Tech said the hub interface (the Enviolo part that manages Automatiq shifting) was replaced, that's it. I had a photo of the old interface s/n and the new part carries a different s/n so it was definitely replaced. It's been wet this morning so haven't tried a test ride but, as noted, problem appears to be fixed.

I also having this issue with my COMO 5.0 IGH and just brought it back to LBS. They are still waiting for direction from Specialized.
Even though it is a separate issue but I want to ask if anyone here also experiences it, while riding my bike sometime I hear a noise from the back of the bike. It doesn't happen all the time so I can't replicate it to show it to LBS hence they can't do anything with it. I recorded that noise and attached it here. Does anyone here have the same issue and know how to replicate it? (Sorry I have to use a zip file because I can't upload an audio file directly)

Thanks

Attachments

• como-noise.m4a.zip
    86.7 KB · Views: 126
Can't say I've heard any noise at all from my Como 5 IGH in 500 miles of riding. But I only ride on open roads (no e.g. tunnels or roads where sound might be reflected or amplified). The sound reproduced (the mechanical whine like e.g a generator) sounds like what one MIGHT hear if they attached a microphone very close to the rear hub in normal operation. I assume the "clunks" recorded are related to holding the recorder, not the bike noise.
As for the Pedal Pace issue -- the Tech at my LBS didn't say exactly how he (correctly) diagnosed the problem. I assume he may have contacted Specialized but I don't know that for certain. All he told me is that he replaced the hub interface and updated the firmware.

Can't say I've heard any noise at all from my Como 5 IGH in 500 miles of riding. But I only ride on open roads (no e.g. tunnels or roads where sound might be reflected or amplified). The sound reproduced (the mechanical whine like e.g a generator) sounds like what one MIGHT hear if they attached a microphone very close to the rear hub in normal operation. I assume the "clunks" recorded are related to holding the recorder, not the bike noise.
As for the Pedal Pace issue -- the Tech at my LBS didn't say exactly how he (correctly) diagnosed the problem. I assume he may have contacted Specialized but I don't know that for certain. All he told me is that he replaced the hub interface and updated the firmware.
I haven’t heard noises on mine either. Still waiting for the fix for pedal pace that Specialized told me would be coming out in a future firmware update.

I haven’t heard noises on mine either. Still waiting for the fix for pedal pace that Specialized told me would be coming out in a future firmware update.
Interested in your comment re: "future firmware update" for Pedal Pace. AFAIK Pedal Pace is working correctly for me now but both Rider Care and LBS insisted that the problem was the Enviolo hub shift interface, not any firmware.
Just for fun I attach a screen shot of the firmware that's installed on my Como now:

Attachments

• IMG_1918.PNG
    IMG_1918.PNG
    96.9 KB · Views: 113
Just bought a Turbo Como 5.0 IGH with TDCw display. Try as I might I can't find the Pedal Pace page (ref. Section 8.8 of the 2022 manual). Manual says press F2 but the page, with options to re-set pedal pace (cadence) never appears.
Pressing F2 does does seem to be entering "micro tune" as display numbers change color. But the 10% intervals are always matched, i.e. 10/10, 20/20, 30/30 etc. So I don't really know what that's telling me? And the actual Pedal Pace screen (page) showing Fastest to Slowest never appears. Any/all help/suggestions appreciated.
There is a system fault. My guess is that the problem is a connector. Mine is acting just like yours, and the bike shop is aware of the problem but not informed of a solution. I'll ask them to reconnect everything because mine worked fine for two weeks then went back to being clueless.

I think it's a connector. It's now Sept 16th 2023 and the update doesn't fix the problem. Just rebooted 4 times and forced a firmware update today.
It seems to be a hardware problem.
Update: yes, the plug on the shifter case was partway out. This causes the menu not to show.

Last edited:
Well the most recent firmware update says you have to take it in to get it installed and I haven’t had time to do that yet. All I know is what Specialized said, tbd if it is correct re: future firmware update fixing the issue.

Pressing F2 does does seem to be entering "micro tune" as display numbers change color.And the actual Pedal Pace screen (page) showing Fastest to Slowest never appears. Any/all help/suggestions appreciated.
For me, the plug had pulled out some and the IGH was working off an on. The wiring is tight and the plug is on the shifter casing.

Back