2022 Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO

covert

Region
USA
City
Los Angeles
TLDR at the bottom.

I'm new here. I live in a hilly area which has always limited the distance I rode my current road bike. I've always wanted to ride to the beach but was concerned that I wouldn't be able to make it back :rolleyes:. I started researching electric road bikes about a week ago. I looked into the Trek Domane+ LT, Scott Addict eRide, and Orbea. Through this site, I discovered the Specialized Creo and the more I read about it, the more I felt it was a better fit for me.

I visited several bike shops across town and was able to find a few Creos in my size range of XL to XXL. I test rode a few and ultimately choose to go with XXL because it felt more comfortable and according to Specialized's website it is the size that is recommended for my height and other measurements. Some dealers tried to push the XL on me, but I'm assuming it was because it was what they had in stock.

I was initially going for the SL Comp Carbon EVO, but somehow I fell down the rabbit hole of looking into electronic shifting. I consulted with a friend who is more experienced than me and he indicated that he regretted not having electronics and is currently trying to upgrade his bike now. In reality, he is way more serious than I am and does rides that I can't even imagine doing. However, since I consider this a long-term investment (I say this now) and I like gadgets, I figured this would be an upgrade that I would enjoy.

I almost bought the yellow 2021 version from a store that had it in stock, but one of the shops I visited called me and indicated their supplier could have a 2022 version in late December. I went down to their shop to look at the specs on their computer and was pleasantly surprised to see that it came with SRAM eTAP AXS. I only learned about eTAP and Di2 a few days ago, and my reasoning may be naive, but I preferred this over Di2 because it's wireless. The bike is not the color I want, but overall I'm happy with the purchase. I'm looking forward to taking on new challenges and improving my overall health.

TLDR; Ordered my first e-bike, a 2022 Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO XXL. So far it only comes in "Satin Gun White Mountain", now has SRAM eTAP AXS and 12 speed.

F078DB47-2440-45DB-B9A7-475D23786784_1_105_c.jpeg

98122-3206_1800x1800.jpeg

SKU: 98122-3206
Specs:

FrameFACT 11r carbon, Open Road Geometry, front/rear thru-axles, fully integrated down tube battery, internal cable routing, fender/rack mounts, Boost™ 12x148mm
ForkFuture Shock 2.0 w/ Smooth Boot, Boost™ 12x110mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc
HandlebarsSpecialized Adventure Gear Hover, 103mm drop x 70mm reach x 12° flare
StemFuture Stem, Pro
TapeSupacaz Super Sticky Kush
Front BrakeSRAM RED eTAP AXS, hydraulic disc
Rear BrakeSRAM RED eTAP AXS, hydraulic disc
Rear DerailleurSRAM GX1 Eagle
Shift LeversSRAM Rival eTAP AXS
CassetteSRAM NX Eagle PG-1230, 12-speed, 11-50t
ChainSRAM NX Eagle, 12-speed
CranksetPraxis Carbon Crank Arms
ChainringsSRAM X-SYNC, 44T
Front WheelRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
Rear WheelRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
Front TirePathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready, Transparent Sidewall, 700x38c
Rear TirePathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready, Transparent Sidewall, 700x38c
Inner TubesPresta, 48mm valve
SaddleBody geometry Power Expert titanium rails
SeatPostX-Fusion Manic Dropper, 50mm travel
Seat BinderSpecialized Allow, 30.8mm
MotorSpecialized SL 1.1 custom lightweight motor
UI/RemoteSpecialized MasterMind TCU, percentage of remaining charge, 120 possible display configurations, MicroTune assist adjustment, over-the-air updates, ANT+/Bluetooth®, w/Handlebar remote
BatterySpecialized SL1-320, fully integrated, 320Wh
ChargerCustom charger, 48V System w/ SL system charger plug
Wiring HarnessCustom Specialized wiring harness w/ chargeport

Last edited:
Yes, definitely, congratulations. Depending on how hilly and your legs, you might consider getting the Range Extender battery (and cable). My sister lives in Agoura Hills and getting back from the beach would be quite the climb!

Yes, definitely, congratulations. Depending on how hilly and your legs, you might consider getting the Range Extender battery (and cable). My sister lives in Agoura Hills and getting back from the beach would be quite the climb!

Good call, I forgot to mention that I did ask for the range extender (and cable!) as well.

Agoura Hills has some serious terrain in between the beach, I hope to be able to take that on one day. Luckily for me, the route to the beach isn't too bad at around 5 miles. However, there are some challenging hills around the PV Peninsula that I will be working on.

Congratulations on the new Creo. I bought the 2021 S-Works Creo which came with SRAM eTAP AXS. I already had an eTAP mullet setup on my dino gravel bike and I wouldn’t go back. So much fun.

It eats up the hills heading back from the beach up to dirt Mulholland: Sullivan Ridge or Mandeville Canyon. You just spin and you go. Put it into turbo if you’re in a hurry. It took me a while to get used to it. The SL motor seems to prefer a steady 70-90 cadence over grinding. My instinct was to put more muscle into the hills, but the Creo responds best to the lower gears.

Does your 2022 Creo have the Eagle 10-50 cassette?

Congratulations on the new Creo. I bought the 2021 S-Works Creo which came with SRAM eTAP AXS. I already had an eTAP mullet setup on my dino gravel bike and I wouldn’t go back. So much fun.

It eats up the hills heading back from the beach up to dirt Mulholland: Sullivan Ridge or Mandeville Canyon. You just spin and you go. Put it into turbo if you’re in a hurry. It took me a while to get used to it. The SL motor seems to prefer a steady 70-90 cadence over grinding. My instinct was to put more muscle into the hills, but the Creo responds best to the lower gears.

Thank you! You have a very nice bike.

My 2022 has a SRAM NX Eagle PG-1230, 12-speed 11-50t cassette.

I have no idea what all of that means 🤣, I have more homework to do...

Last edited:
Here are all the specs (also added to OP for convenience):

2022 Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO

FrameFACT 11r carbon, Open Road Geometry, front/rear thru-axles, fully integrated down tube battery, internal cable routing, fender/rack mounts, Boost™ 12x148mm
ForkFuture Shock 2.0 w/ Smooth Boot, Boost™ 12x110mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc
HandlebarsSpecialized Adventure Gear Hover, 103mm drop x 70mm reach x 12° flare
StemFuture Stem, Pro
TapeSupacaz Super Sticky Kush
Front BrakeSRAM RED eTAP AXS, hydraulic disc
Rear BrakeSRAM RED eTAP AXS, hydraulic disc
Rear DerailleurSRAM GX1 Eagle
Shift LeversSRAM Rival eTAP AXS
CassetteSRAM NX Eagle PG-1230, 12-speed, 11-50t
ChainSRAM NX Eagle, 12-speed
CranksetPraxis Carbon Crank Arms
ChainringsSRAM X-SYNC, 44T
Front WheelRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
Rear WheelRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
Front TirePathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready, Transparent Sidewall, 700x38c
Rear TirePathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready, Transparent Sidewall, 700x38c
Inner TubesPresta, 48mm valve
SaddleBody geometry Power Expert titanium rails
SeatPostX-Fusion Manic Dropper, 50mm travel
Seat BinderSpecialized Allow, 30.8mm
MotorSpecialized SL 1.1 custom lightweight motor
UI/RemoteSpecialized MasterMind TCU, percentage of remaining charge, 120 possible display configurations, MicroTune assist adjustment, over-the-air updates, ANT+/Bluetooth®, w/Handlebar remote
BatterySpecialized SL1-320, fully integrated, 320Wh
ChargerCustom charger, 48V System w/ SL system charger plug
Wiring HarnessCustom Specialized wiring harness w/ chargeport

Last edited:

Is that from Will Rogers State Beach up to top of the ridge (Mulholland dirt)?
About 10 miles with 2000’ of elev. Gain?
Thanks.

niiiiiiiice

you'll get the new mastermind display that i don't think any of us have seen in person on a creo yet! and the color looks awesome.

niiiiiiiice

you'll get the new mastermind display that i don't think any of us have seen in person on a creo yet! and the color looks awesome.
I'm glad you pointed that out, I had no idea what mastermind was so I just looked up a video on it. It's definitely a nice added bonus that I was not expecting.

Now I just wish I could change the color!

the grey looks amazing!
It's not bad, I'm hoping it would grow on me. I originally wanted something either more stealthy or vibrant like the 2021 red/orange S-Works or yellow expert.

ETA: I wish the font wasn't white.

Last edited:
Is that from Will Rogers State Beach up to top of the ridge (Mulholland dirt)?
About 10 miles with 2000’ of elev. Gain?
Sullivan Ridge is one over from the Will Rogers/Backbone Trail. There’s nothing more fun than Will Rogers down from The Hub. I just don’t know about climbing back up it. Have you gone up Will Rogers?

Sullivan Ridge starts at the top of Capri Drive. Sullivan Canyon is an easier way up, and really bucolic under sycamore trees, which starts at Queensferry Road. Everything winds up on Dirt Mulholland.

Here’s the view of the bridge above Will Rogers with the Pacific in the background. Between this perch and the bridge is a stone staircase. Type II fun for sure.

If you’re in the area, join the Facebook group Gravel Bike California. Plenty of local riders and trails.

5CF3F64E-FFB7-4EB8-8DBE-022247188D0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Big big congratulations to you @covert! Have you just ordered the Creo and are waiting for it? (The colour looks great!)

Note: The 11-50t 12-speed cassette is beneficial. The rear hub is simpler than required for the 10t smallest cog; and not everybody wants to pedal downhill for speed records :)

Big big congratulations to you @covert! Have you just ordered the Creo and are waiting for it? (The colour looks great!)

Note: The 11-50t 12-speed cassette is beneficial. The rear hub is simpler than required for the 10t smallest cog; and not everybody wants to pedal downhill for speed records :)
Thank you!

Yes, ordered and waiting for an anticipated "late December" date, which probably really means January.

I'm too chicken to pedal downhill, unlike this guy...

Yes, ordered and waiting for an anticipated "late December" date, which probably really means January
Spring 2022 should be delightful for you!

I'm too chicken to pedal downhill, unlike this guy...
I don't pedal downhill. I'm glad my e-bikes are equipped with good (and maintained) brakes :)

Hey, that guy made just 40 mph with such furious pedalling? Oh my. I didn't pedal there:
1632807663275.png

...and that was not a road bike...

Last edited:
Spring 2022 should be delightful for you!

I don't pedal downhill. I'm glad my e-bikes are equipped with good (and maintained) brakes :)

Hey, that guy made just 40 mph with such furious pedalling? Oh my. I didn't pedal there:
View attachment 101411
...and that was not a road bike...
True enough. I hit 45mph on my Creo coming off of a mountain pass and pedaling was not required. Praying was!!!! I had been braking higher up the hill where it was more curvy in the mid-30mph range.

Nice bike! You will love it. Range extended a plus for sure. Don't forget the dual charging cable. I've got the 2021 Turbo Creo Sl Carbon Comp EVO. I never had electronic shifting on any of my road bikes, so I never missed it and I picked mine up used, so I didn't have much choice anyway.

I got mine up to 42 mph going down the Blue Ridge Parkway outside Asheville, NC and I'm not very "aero". Probably could have worked it up a few more clicks, but definitely felt safer and more stable then when I had my carbon Roubaix up to a similar speed once.

Nice bike! You will love it. Range extended a plus for sure. Don't forget the dual charging cable. I've got the 2021 Turbo Creo Sl Carbon Comp EVO. I never had electronic shifting on any of my road bikes, so I never missed it and I picked mine up used, so I didn't have much choice anyway.

I got mine up to 42 mph going down the Blue Ridge Parkway outside Asheville, NC and I'm not very "aero". Probably could have worked it up a few more clicks, but definitely felt safer and more stable then when I had my carbon Roubaix up to a similar speed once.
Good call on the dual charging cable, will add that to my list.

Back