2022 Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO

I expect a lot of data there. As long as you are ready to look between your legs while riding :) In such a situation, the bike computer would only serve you for GPS navigation and ride recording.

I ordered the Garmin Edge 830 and Varia RTL515. I'm the type of person who prefers touch screens, the ClimbPro feature looked interesting to me since I live in a hilly area. I'll use this with my current bike for now.

I started challenging myself more, now I'm able to ride some routes/distances I previously couldn't handle on my regular road bike. It looks like I will get to push myself even more once my Creo arrives.

This past week was my first time riding on a main road so I'm looking forward to seeing how the Varia will fit into my workflow.

I ordered the Garmin Edge 830 and Varia RTL515. I'm the type of person who prefers touch screens, the ClimbPro feature looked interesting to me since I live in a hilly area. I'll use this with my current bike for now.

I started challenging myself more, now I'm able to ride some routes/distances I previously couldn't handle on my regular road bike. It looks like I will get to push myself even more once my Creo arrives.

This past week was my first time riding on a main road so I'm looking forward to seeing how the Varia will fit into my workflow.
Consider adding the IQ app 'My Bike Radar Traffic' to go with the Varia. You can put a data field to your screen that will show relative speed, absolute speed and traffic count. I use Garmin connect and it will include the traffic data with the ride. You have to have it on at least one screen for it to record data. I ride with the map screen but I can switch to the data screen if I hear someone approaching at high speed. Sometimes I just go back and check the data later to confirm my estimate of the traffic speed. The only thing I don't like about the Varia RVR315 (no light version) is the battery life of about six hours. Longer rides take about 7 or 8 hours with stops and lunch/coffee so I either need to carry a spare or remember to turn it off for longer stops.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, I set out to find an extra set of wheels with road tires for my Creo but ended up picking up another bike.
A 2022 Roubaix that also has the SRAM Rival eTap AXS. This will be used for more intense riding/exercising while the Creo will be for longer distance/leisure rides.

Do you guys have any recommendations for Garmin compatible accessory mounts that allow for a bottom-mounted GoPro that integrates with the Specialized stem?

TLDR at the bottom.

I'm new here. I live in a hilly area which has always limited the distance I rode my current road bike. I've always wanted to ride to the beach but was concerned that I wouldn't be able to make it back :rolleyes:. I started researching electric road bikes about a week ago. I looked into the Trek Domane+ LT, Scott Addict eRide, and Orbea. Through this site, I discovered the Specialized Creo and the more I read about it, the more I felt it was a better fit for me.

I visited several bike shops across town and was able to find a few Creos in my size range of XL to XXL. I test rode a few and ultimately choose to go with XXL because it felt more comfortable and according to Specialized's website it is the size that is recommended for my height and other measurements. Some dealers tried to push the XL on me, but I'm assuming it was because it was what they had in stock.

I was initially going for the SL Comp Carbon EVO, but somehow I fell down the rabbit hole of looking into electronic shifting. I consulted with a friend who is more experienced than me and he indicated that he regretted not having electronics and is currently trying to upgrade his bike now. In reality, he is way more series than I am and does rides that I can't even imagine doing. However, since I consider this a long-term investment (I say this now) and I like gadgets, I figured this would be an upgrade that I would enjoy.

I almost bought the yellow 2021 version from a store that had it in stock, but one of the shops I visited called me and indicated their supplier could have a 2022 version in late December. I went down to their shop to look at the specs on their computer and was pleasantly surprised to see that it came with SRAM eTAP AXS. I only learned about eTAP and Di2 a few days ago, and my reasoning may be naive, but I preferred this over Di2 because it's wireless. The bike is not the color I want, but overall I'm happy with the purchase. I'm looking forward to taking on new challenges and improving my overall health.

TLDR; Ordered my first e-bike, a 2022 Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO XXL. So far it only comes in "Satin Gun White Mountain", now has SRAM eTAP AXS and 12 speed.

View attachment 101283

View attachment 101406

SKU: 98122-3206
Specs:

FrameFACT 11r carbon, Open Road Geometry, front/rear thru-axles, fully integrated down tube battery, internal cable routing, fender/rack mounts, Boost™ 12x148mm
ForkFuture Shock 2.0 w/ Smooth Boot, Boost™ 12x110mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc
HandlebarsSpecialized Adventure Gear Hover, 103mm drop x 70mm reach x 12° flare
StemFuture Stem, Pro
TapeSupacaz Super Sticky Kush
Front BrakeSRAM RED eTAP AXS, hydraulic disc
Rear BrakeSRAM RED eTAP AXS, hydraulic disc
Rear DerailleurSRAM GX1 Eagle
Shift LeversSRAM Rival eTAP AXS
CassetteSRAM NX Eagle PG-1230, 12-speed, 11-50t
ChainSRAM NX Eagle, 12-speed
CranksetPraxis Carbon Crank Arms
ChainringsSRAM X-SYNC, 44T
Front WheelRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
Rear WheelRoval C 38 Disc, carbon, tubeless-ready, 38mm depth, 24h
Front TirePathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready, Transparent Sidewall, 700x38c
Rear TirePathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready, Transparent Sidewall, 700x38c
Inner TubesPresta, 48mm valve
SaddleBody geometry Power Expert titanium rails
SeatPostX-Fusion Manic Dropper, 50mm travel
Seat BinderSpecialized Allow, 30.8mm
MotorSpecialized SL 1.1 custom lightweight motor
UI/RemoteSpecialized MasterMind TCU, percentage of remaining charge, 120 possible display configurations, MicroTune assist adjustment, over-the-air updates, ANT+/Bluetooth®, w/Handlebar remote
BatterySpecialized SL1-320, fully integrated, 320Wh
ChargerCustom charger, 48V System w/ SL system charger plug
Wiring HarnessCustom Specialized wiring harness w/ chargeport
You said you looked ag the 2021 but bought the 22. I too am on a waiting list. My LBS didnt know the price of the 22's ( or so they say) was your 22 much more than the 21?

You said you looked ag the 2021 but bought the 22. I too am on a waiting list. My LBS didnt know the price of the 22's ( or so they say) was your 22 much more than the 21?
List price on the 22 is $500 CDN more than the current 21 here in Canada. My LBS actually just got in a 21 that was backordered but I’m still waiting for the 22 given it’s only a few months now and I’m looking forward to the mastermind TCU, 12 speed and AXS wireless shifting.

Reactions: jps
Thanks for answering. Looking forward to Dec. A christmas present to myself.
I live in Vegas
Are there some nice road bike rides in or around Vegas? Scenic and not too trafficky. Friends are trying to convince me to join them, possibly in January. They've got a Bike Friday electric tandem.

Are there some nice road bike rides in or around Vegas? Scenic and not too trafficky. Friends are trying to convince me to join them, possibly in January. They've got a Bike Friday electric tandem.
there’s some very nice rides up in red rock canyon. but they’re relatively short by roadie standards.

example

I'm new to Vegas from Orange county, CA. I'm a bit bummed out by being here in Vegas when it comes to what I gave up in CA, both road & mtb. Here in Vegas there is the Beltway trail that is next to the freeway but still you have stops at certain intersections. As someone else stated the Red Rock loop is only 13 miles but very scenic. I rode it last weekend from my house and it was 45 miles round trip (on a mtb) combination of beltway, highway and then the loop.
Screenshot_20211026-022859_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

A GREAT bike trail is The River Mountains Loop Trail, about 10 miles east of Las Vegas. A popular starting point is Equestrian trail head.
The paved trail is a continuous loop (no crossing of streets) that is very scenic and is approx. 34 miles long with approx. 2400’ of cumulative elevation gain.
It’s not very crowded and there are a few restrooms along the route. Part of it goes by Lake Mead.
Of course you don’t have to ride the whole loop, there are many places to start and stop to ride shorter sections. And it joins up with the Wetlands Trail and the Union Pacific Railroad trail and others if you want a longer ride. Lot’s of options !!
I’ve lived in the Las Vegas area for over 40 years and the RMLT is the ride I do 95% of the time.
Enjoy !!

EDIT: For some fantastic MTB riding check out Bear’s Best near Summerlin. Also amazing trails near Blue Diamond, NV which is at the foothills of Red Rock Canyon. And of course world class MTB riding near Boulder City, NV (about 20 miles east of Las Vegas) called Bootleg Canyon. From mild to wild, to say the least :)

Last edited:
Thanks for those suggestions for rides in the Vegas area. Looks somewhat tempting for a week long visit although the climbing might be more than my companions might be interested in. I'd probably want to rent an e-bike since I don't think I'd want to pack up my Creo. They are trying to convince me to get a single Bike Friday! Timing would be tight and budget even tighter for a rather limited addition to the stable. Frankly, at my age, I don't see taking that many "away" bike trips. I'd rather hike!

@mschwett @Rider777 @jps

Guys, what are the major difference of these:
2020 Creo SL Evo; 2021 Creo SL Evo; 2022 Creo SL Evo?

Last edited:
2020 Creo SL Evo; 2021 Creo SL Evo; 2020 Creo SL Evo?
it depends which specific trim levels you’re talking about. between 2021 and 2020 some models changed their whole shifting/drivetrain, but most only made minor changes, e.g. the expert has different chainring and different bar tape.

the four creo trims are:

turbo creo SL comp E5 (aluminum frame)
turbo creo SL comp carbon (lowest carbon frame trim, aluminum wheels)
turbo creo SL expert (middle carbon frame trim, carbon wheels)
s-works turbo creo SL (top of the line)

all but the E5 creos have and EVO variant with a differently shaped handlebar, a dropper seat post, bigger tires, basically changes to make them better off road.

2020 Creo SL Evo; 2021 Creo SL Evo; 2020 Creo SL Evo?
Since you have 2020 Creo SL Evo listed twice, I'll assume you meant for one of those to be 2022.

I've learned from my research that between 2021 and 2022 Expert Evo the components go from Shimano Di2 Ultegra to SRAM Rival eTap AXS, cassette goes from 11-42t to 11-50t (11-speed to 12-speed), it now comes with the new Mastermind TCU 2 pictured below, and obviously new colors.

Mastermind-TCU.jpeg

The carbon frames are all listed as the same FACT 11r on all of the carbon frame models. The carbon wheels and accessories are definitely different between the models. So far I haven't seen anything in the new models or on sale that makes me regret buying a 2021 Creo late in the summer. I wouldn't mind a 12 speed with 11-50 since it means I wouldn't need to dip into the motor as often.

I ordered the same bike you did but they didn’t have an estimate on when it would arrive. Did you get yours yet?
Nope. In the meantime, I bought a 2022 Roubaix Comp so I haven't been in a rush. I'll probably reach out towards the end of this month if I don't hear anything.

Back