41. Portland , United States
50. Seattle , United States
53. Washington , United States
57. Los Angeles , United States
61. Boston , United States
67. New York , United States
71. Chicago , United States
72. Detroit , United States

You do wonder how they do these rankings. San Francisco bike friendly? I guess it depends on how you like hills. Boston? I suspect the list authors have never driven a car in Boston, much less ridden a bike. It's not even car friendly...yes, lots of bike lanes along roads that are mostly used by Amazon delivery vehicles as short term parking. Rarely see bike riders when I'm there, which is several times a month.

San Francisco gets a lot of its points for having an extremely bike-friendly climate. The only other US city I saw with a higher weather score was Los Angeles.

San Francisco has 464 miles of bikeways, 42 miles of protected bike lanes, and 78 miles of grade-separated bike paths.

You do wonder how they do these rankings. San Francisco bike friendly? I guess it depends on how you like hills. Boston? I suspect the list authors have never driven a car in Boston, much less ridden a bike. It's not even car friendly...yes, lots of bike lanes along roads that are mostly used by Amazon delivery vehicles as short term parking. Rarely see bike riders when I'm there, which is several times a month.

well, to be fair car friendly and bike friendly are usually opposing cases. the european cities at the top of the list are not optimized for cars, they’re optimized for transit, pedestrians, and bikes. most North American cities are optimized for cars, or maybe cars and transit in a handful of cases. outside of college towns we have no truly bike friendly cities, nor any truly car unfriendly cities.

San Francisco has 464 miles of bikeways, 42 miles of protected bike lanes, and 78 miles of grade-separated bike paths.
which is pretty good for a city only 7 miles across. at the moment, there are also another 30 miles or so of “slow streets” which are closed to through traffic. you can also mount bikes to most of the buses, and both long distance rail systems (Bart and Caltrain) allow bikes in designated areas. average vehicle traffic speed is very, very low. on the downside, the typical bike lanes are narrow, not protected, routinely blocked by drivers, and intersections are very frequent.

my personal Strava heat map for the last year or two shows the density of some of the more enjoyable and useful routes through the city.
CE96B510-7DBB-4B13-88D5-089D8A484565.jpeg

They heard of Kraków Poland but not of Warsaw? Where is Helsinki Finland? No mention of Oslo Norway or Stockholm Sweden? No Brisbane Australia?! All safe places with excellent or good bike infrastructure, low crime rate etc.

Good for nothing.
He provided a link to the full list which has all the cities you cited. Read a little closer before you, go off.

Provide the reason.
I'll provide reasons. But first I'll give you something to think hard about. I observe that a lot of right-wingers all talk about how they want their version of Twitter, Facebook, and Wikipedia. What I've never heard of is right-wingers push forward anything clearly better. That is why Parler, Gab, and Truth are such total dogs and will never be anything but pathetic echoes of what was cool a dozen years ago. If you are a conservative you are by definition chasing other people's taillights.

Now to go even further. Right-wingers hate too many people and care about their hatreds and paranoia more than they care about getting stuff done. It doesn't matter what you do with your private parts of if you were born in Fuhongzen or Jamalpur or Mtwapa: if you can get the job done you are in. That means there is a diversity of viewpoints right in your office -- that diversity of viewpoints will be very productive in terms of new ideas. Not all or even most of the new ideas need to be great ones in order to produce a steady pipeline of obnoxious new billionaires. And more importantly and better, you'll have a whole generation of modestly wealthy and well-to-do people for every Elon Musk.

Also, everyone has a shot at it. If you have a killer idea for a website that tracks the best food trucks and tracks where they are currently, there is nothing to really stop you from going after it. There are awesome networks of people who will help you start that company, just for the privilege of being in on it, a fistful of shares, and a shot at something bigger down the road. A lot of those networks draw from great Universities in the area, which are part of the engine that drives this huge machine. I'd suggest reading up on Frederick Emmons Terman and what all he did in his years at Stanford. Look at a map of where top Universities are in the states, and what you'll find is that Blue areas ("Obamaville") produce great Universities, while Red areas produce Universities with great football teams. The Crimson Tide's defensive line is not going to be able to help you build a new generation of GPUs and make a billion dollars.

“And you know what, Pete Buttigieg can take his electric vehicles and his bicycles, and he and his husband can stay out of our girls’ bathrooms.” MTG

He provided a link to the full list which has all the cities you cited. Read a little closer before you, go off.
All such listings are worthless. The guy has never been there and he just compiled third party information/opinions. Kraków is listed high and Warsaw is low. The truth is cycling inside Cracow is pretty dangerous but the city makes it up with "cycling freeways" outside. While Warsaw has a far bigger cycling infrastructure and far more cyclists.

Making any comparisons between German cities makes no sense. Whatever infrastructure in any German city, cycling is safe and with the top priority given to cyclists and pedestrians. Even if Germany is yet another Motor Country, the drivers reserve their horsepower for freeways and treat the cyclists in cities or suburbs with utmost care here. It is because they are cyclists, too. An severe penalties for breaking law are delivered mercilessly by Polizei.

How comes people in business suits (including me) happily commute here in Frankfurt am Main on e-scooters using protected and unprotected bike lanes as well as riding with traffic safely? The autor of the listing has no clue...

Last edited:
Wonder why no city from New Zealand, I just saw post by Zew Zealand member and they look very friendly and their biking infrastructure looks very futuristic.
And what about Honolulu? Infrastructure is not the greatest we sure are friendly tho.
Wellington was on the list. (that's in NZ) I didn't really look at it all that closely. CN

All such listings are worthless. The guy has never been there and he just compiled third party information/opinions. Kraków is listed high and Warsaw is low. The truth is cycling inside Cracow is pretty dangerous but the city makes it up with "cycling freeways" outside. While Warsaw has a far bigger cycling infrastructure and far more cyclists.

Making any comparisons between German cities makes no sense. Whatever infrastructure in any German city, cycling is safe and with the top priority given to cyclists and pedestrians. Even if Germany is yet another Motor Country, the drivers reserve their horsepower for freeways and treat the cyclists in cities or suburbs with utmost care here. It is because they are cyclists, too. An severe penalties for breaking law are delivered mercilessly by Polizei.

How comes people in business suits (including me) happily commute here in Frankfurt am Main on e-scooters using protected and unprotected bike lanes as well as riding with traffic safely? The autor of the listing has no clue...
Well. There's a new job for you. Make your own list. CN

Back