2022 Specialized Turbo Vado Help

Green1

Region
USA
I am going to purchase a Specialized Turbo Vado bike this week. I am 5’-8” (173 cm) tall and looking at a medium size bike. The shop has a Turbo Vado 4.0 Step-Through version and the Turbo Vado 5.0 standard version. I am on the wrong side of 50 and a bit overweight so the idea of the step through version is appealing. I also like the versatility of the step through for lending my bike to friends wanting to ride with my wife (we plan to purchase a smaller e-bike for her as well). However, with the bottle cage mounted on the top bar, I found the step through very uncomfortable when standing over the bike and liked the standard version better in this position. The shop said a water bottle would not fit in the lower mounting location. I don’t mind spending the extra money for the 5.0 and like the idea of a stronger motor, better components, and the Garmin radar. Although on my test rides I could not really tell the difference between the motors and saving money is always a plus. I was wondering if anyone has ideas for making a water bottle fit on the lower mount on the 4.0? A seat post or handlebar mount might be a decent option too if it was solid. Or if I would be better off just going with a stronger motor and the better components on the standard 5.0 with better cage mounting options? Purchasing a 5.0 step through is not and option. If I get the step through, I will just save the money and go with the 4.0. Thanks

I have the 5.0 just for reference . Even when using any of the bikes I have with bottle cages I still wear a camel pack. More water, no longer notice I am wearing it really . Once I found out freezing the actual water bag between uses along with rinsing it out and a some actual cleaning every now and then seems to keep it fresh I quit using bottles. These are the bags of water you will see with the tube routed to the front makes it possible to drink with minimal effort.

My point is this eliminates carrying a bottle on the bike freeing up that real estate for something else including legs as needed.

This may not work for you but if it does opens up more possibilities

Thanks, that is a good thought I had not considered. I would still like a place to mount a water bottle on the bike though.

I have the mount and have a empty bottle on there from daughter’s business just keeping her in my thoughts when I ride.

Green, if you want a water bottle cage on the Vado 4.0 ST, it is probably doable to mount the cage on the bottom "tube". You just need a side loading water-bottle-cage, e.g., Specialized Zee Cage II. Please ask the shop to test it for you! There are bottle cage mounts there!

1663691304536.png

Nothing is done by a manufacturer if it's not practical.

On the other hand, Vado 5.0 is really better. Starting with the air-spring suspension fork that makes a tremendous difference re bike handling and ride comfort...

Thanks for the responses. I did ask the shop to install a side loading cage in the bottom area of the step through but they told me it would not fit. They said the water bottle was hitting at the top. I don't know which model they used though. I will ask them about the Zee Cage II to see if that will work. Was curious if anyone was successful fitting a water bottle in this area. I saw these adjustment brackets. Was thinking something like this might allow the cage to be lowered a bit?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 168
I stood over the medium standard frame Vado 5.0. I am 5’-8” tall (wear 29” -30” inseam pants) and there is not much room on the stand over. I did not try a small size frame because several of the sale people said medium was the size for me. Now I am wondering if a medium is too big. How can you tell what is the proper fit? For the 4.0 ST I did find a couple of options for mounting the bottle cage vertically on the seat post tube. It it completely out of the way. I honestly don’t understand why they didn’t mount it there in the first place.

Attachments

• 2EF37C2F-6965-4E9B-9C75-2504E4E9F2C3.jpeg
    2EF37C2F-6965-4E9B-9C75-2504E4E9F2C3.jpeg
    715.9 KB · Views: 322
I have a Turbo Vado 5.0 in size medium. The regular frame model and it fits water bottles perfectly fine. I am 5'9" and the frame fits me perfectly. A Large would be too big I think.

One option would be to get a Ortlieb handlebar bag that has water bottle mounts on the sides. I have the Ortlieb e-glow bag which is a great bag and it will take two water bottles. I haven't bothered to mount them there because I a frame mount the mounting brackets are there: https://www.bike-components.de/blog/en/2020/10/review-ortlieb-e-glow-handlebar-bag/

Not-enough-space-on-your-frame-Drink-bottles-can-b-ec1df3259aea9cf34a0c428c135f5762.jpeg

The shop may be able to get a 5.0 step through. They are now showing stock in black. This might be the way to go and just find a spot for the water bottle case.

I have a Turbo Vado 5.0 in size medium. The regular frame model and it fits water bottles perfectly fine. I am 5'9" and the frame fits me perfectly. A Large would be too big I think.

One option would be to get a Ortlieb handlebar bag that has water bottle mounts on the sides. I have the Ortlieb e-glow bag which is a great bag and it will take two water bottles. I haven't bothered to mount them there because I a frame mount the mounting brackets are there: https://www.bike-components.de/blog/en/2020/10/review-ortlieb-e-glow-handlebar-bag/
Thanks for the info. That’s a great option and a really nice bag. Sounds like there are plenty of options for the water bottles on the step through and it is a non-issue on the standard frame. They can get 2 cages on the standard frame. I am leaning toward a 5.0. If they can get me the 5.0 step through I will probably do that. If not I will get the standard frame and hope I don’t regret not having more stand over clearance.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Green, if you want a water bottle cage on the Vado 4.0 ST, it is probably doable to mount the cage on the bottom "tube". You just need a side loading water-bottle-cage, e.g., Specialized Zee Cage II. Please ask the shop to test it for you! There are bottle cage mounts there!
BTW, the shop tried the Specialized Zee Cage II tonight and confirmed this does not work on the bottom mount location for the Vado medium step-through frame. Might fit on the large frame though.

I stood over the medium standard frame Vado 5.0. I am 5’-8” tall (wear 29” -30” inseam pants) and there is not much room on the stand over. I did not try a small size frame because several of the sale people said medium was the size for me. Now I am wondering if a medium is too big. How can you tell what is the proper fit?
I'm the same size as you (173 cm = 5'8") with 78 cm standover height (30.7") and the frames of all my e-bikes were M disregarding of a brand/model.

BTW, the shop tried the Specialized Zee Cage II tonight and confirmed this does not work on the bottom mount location for the Vado medium step-through frame. Might fit on the large frame though.
How bad! It looks the new Vados ST have their top tube located lower than the pre 2022 models...

I’m 5’6” and the medium frame is perfect, your stand over height is only 24”, I’ve set my seat at 36-37” from the ground, it give you almost a full upright position. True it doesn’t look as good, but with my right leg issue it makes it great for me.

I’ve set my seat at 36-37” from the ground
The practical and repeatable measure for any bike is the straight line from the centre of the bottom bracket (that is, from the centre of the crank) to the top edge of the saddle. For my 78 cm (30.7") standover height, the saddle height is 72 cm (28.3").

Bikes can be "taller or shorter" but the distance between the BB centre and the top of the saddle is independent of the bike size because it is only dependent on our leg length.

Last edited:
I am going to purchase a Specialized Turbo Vado bike this week. I am 5’-8” (173 cm) tall and looking at a medium size bike. The shop has a Turbo Vado 4.0 Step-Through version and the Turbo Vado 5.0 standard version. I am on the wrong side of 50 and a bit overweight so the idea of the step through version is appealing. I also like the versatility of the step through for lending my bike to friends wanting to ride with my wife (we plan to purchase a smaller e-bike for her as well). However, with the bottle cage mounted on the top bar, I found the step through very uncomfortable when standing over the bike and liked the standard version better in this position. The shop said a water bottle would not fit in the lower mounting location. I don’t mind spending the extra money for the 5.0 and like the idea of a stronger motor, better components, and the Garmin radar. Although on my test rides I could not really tell the difference between the motors and saving money is always a plus. I was wondering if anyone has ideas for making a water bottle fit on the lower mount on the 4.0? A seat post or handlebar mount might be a decent option too if it was solid. Or if I would be better off just going with a stronger motor and the better components on the standard 5.0 with better cage mounting options? Purchasing a 5.0 step through is not and option. If I get the step through, I will just save the money and go with the 4.0. Thanks
I'm pretty sure to get a Vado 5 you have to be among the Elite or a Royal . Have you checked your social score yet ?? LOL . Seriously though . If you can get your hands on a 4 now I would suggest you do so . Th world's economy is falling apart . The Supply chain is failing pretty fast . Fed-ex is in trouble so is Amazon . Putin is declaring War . That's a whole new ball game. Israel is on the verge of War . Europe is very concerned about this winter . And who knows what is going to happen before America's November elections? What if China Invades Taiwan? All variables that could and likely will effect Bike availability. Do you think Specialized is using Sram over Shimano because it's way better ? It's because Shimano is have supply issues for bulk orders companies would be using . That's your reality :
If I were you I would get the Vado 4 . Just because you can . Vado 5 hasn't been available all Summer . I know people don't like to hear all this bad news . But that's today's reality . Plus the 5 while better isn't like it's in a totally different class. They battery in the 4 is just as large as the 5 . And 15 NMT really isn't that much. I rode an older Vado 3 the other day . I think rated at 50 NM of Torque . It was pretty fast . Consider this technical specs of 50 70 and 90 Nm isn't as substantial as it appears written on paper . It's not top end : It applies to taking off . The Vado 4 is really fast .

Last edited:
I stood over the medium standard frame Vado 5.0. I am 5’-8” tall (wear 29” -30” inseam pants) and there is not much room on the stand over. I did not try a small size frame because several of the sale people said medium was the size for me. Now I am wondering if a medium is too big. How can you tell what is the proper fit? For the 4.0 ST I did find a couple of options for mounting the bottle cage vertically on the seat post tube. It it completely out of the way. I honestly don’t understand why they didn’t mount it there in the first place.
You don't get off a Men's bike and plan on touching ground before the bar nails you . I use a large size and have a Trek that's extra large . If you have to touch the ground with both feet on a Men's frame . You're going to smack yourself . Step thru's are for women because when bikes were designed . Women wore Dresses . I know there are many here that think they can't lift their leg high enough . But believe me you can . Once done a few times it gets really easy . A step thru isn't that much easier to mount . I ran across a video on Youtube the other day where some guy is stepping right over the cross bar . I thought to myself wow I can't do that . But once I tried it a couple of times I could .

If I were you I would get the Vado 4 . Just because you can . Vado 5 hasn't been available all Summer . I know people don't like to hear all this bad news . But that's today's reality . Plus the 5 while better isn't like it's in a totally different class. They battery in the 4 is just as large as the 5 . And 15 NMT really isn't that much. I rode an older Vado 3 the other day . I think rated at 50 NM of Torque . It was pretty fast . Consider this technical specs of 50 70 and 90 Nm isn't as substantial as it appears written on paper . It's not top end : It applies to taking off . The Vado 4 is really fast .
Vado 5.0:
  • The air suspension fork vs. steel coil: a big difference
  • Better drivetrain for 5.0
  • 4-piston brakes vs 2-piston make difference in the hills
  • Stronger motor. It is not just 15 Nm difference. It translates to max motor power of 565 W for the 5.0. Yes, possibly the motor of 4.0 has 520 W peak power.
If I were in position of Green and could spend a thousand bucks more, I would take the 5.0. Not that 4.0 is a bad e-bike, no!

Step thru's are for women because when bikes were designed .
No, Zeeker. Just no. You live in the past. ST e-bikes are the choice of people with mobility issues. I own 2 ST e-bikes, and only one High-Step (and only because Vado SL ST was unavailable when I was buying the lightweight e-bike).

1663779863655.png

Tell me the Highway Star is a girlie thing... :D

I'm pretty sure to get a Vado 5 you have to be among the Elite or a Royal . Have you checked your social score yet ?? LOL .
I would say I am neither of those. I don't buy many toys and have been saving for a bike for a while. However, I do feel fortunate to be able to purchase one of these bikes.

The shop has confirmed they cannot get a 5.0 ST. So I am back to where I started. The standard frame is not really a big issue for myself but I do like the ease of mounting the step through. And being able to share with other family members is a bonus. Does anyone know the torque of the 2022 Vado 4.0 vs the 2021 5.0 motor? I plan to end this dilemma tonight.

Back