2021 Trek Ebike Release Date and Rumors?

TYJ

When does Trek typically release their new bikes? If memory serves, it's usually around August-September?

Any rumors about what Trek is working on for their 2021 line up?

At the very least, it sure would be nice if the Trek Allant models got a front suspension like Specialized's current 2020 Turbo Vado models.

Exciting/interesting news... my LBS owner (who I’ve known a long time and trust) told me today that “yes, new Trek ebikes should be landing at his store by Aug-Sept... and... “Yamaha Motors will be in the mix”! I said, wait, I thought Trek was all Bosch? He said “Trek was all Bosch”. Hmmmm. He also said these new Trek ebikes are “definitely worth waiting for” (vs. buying now). Can’t wait to find out more! Anyone?

Exciting/interesting news... my LBS owner (who I’ve known a long time and trust) told me today that “yes, new Trek ebikes should be landing at his store by Aug-Sept... and... “Yamaha Motors will be in the mix”! I said, wait, I thought Trek was all Bosch? He said “Trek was all Bosch”. Hmmmm. He also said these new Trek ebikes are “definitely worth waiting for” (vs. buying now). Can’t wait to find out more! Anyone?
Well here’s hoping there is a Yamaha option
That would put Trek on my short list

Sheesh, after waiting until December, and being in the shop multiple times, maybe it's gonna be trade in time again.

Hmmm, I just test rode an Allant+ 7 S and like it. I am waiting for a refund from another brand bike I bought and returned (UPS to Canada) yesterday. Not sure if I want to go all summer with no bike, then buy one just before the weather change makes riding a pain.

Why the excited for Yamaha? I thought Bosch was considered one of the best e-Bike systems.
Curious as well. Based on all my research the Bosch motors seem to be the best of the best. I've been extremely pleased with the Bosch setup on my Allant 9.9s! Couldn't really ask for anything more out of it... although I've never tried anything else so that's a very naive comment. LOL!

Most of the reviews I have seen on mid-drives list Reliability as a plus for Yamaha and Shimano.
Brose and Bosch also have their unique advantages. Here is an article that highlights the pros/cons of the major brands... YMMV 😉

Last edited:
Curious as well. Based on all my research the Bosch motors seem to be the best of the best. I've been extremely pleased with the Bosch setup on my Allant 9.9s! Couldn't really ask for anything more out of it... although I've never tried anything else so that's a very naive comment. LOL!

Because Bosch is not best of the best, all of the mainstream mid drives are smooth and close to each other. In terms of absolute smoothness and power Brose seems to be ahead, Yamaha has a good low end and also quiet and like FlatSix said Yamaha and Shimano are very reliable.

Because Bosch is not best of the best, all of the mainstream mid drives are smooth and close to each other. In terms of absolute smoothness and power Brose seems to be ahead, Yamaha has a good low end and also quiet and like FlatSix said Yamaha and Shimano are very reliable.
If you add in reliability, parts availability, battery quality, number of trained service personnel, commitment to 10 years of parts availability and tech support, after the last year of production on a model and the low number of failures and replacements relative to market share, Bosch emerges as a clearly the best all around. Yes the Brose motor is quieter, lighter and has greater torque, but it doesn't come close in these other important factors.

If you add in reliability, parts availability, battery quality, number of trained service personnel, commitment to 10 years of parts availability and tech support, after the last year of production on a model and the low number of failures and replacements relative to market share, Bosch emerges as a clearly the best all around. Yes the Brose motor is quieter, lighter and has greater torque, but it doesn't come close in these other important factors.

I agree that Brose may not be (at least for now) as reliable as Bosch , Yamaha , Shimano. Bosch have good warranty processing and reliability record. They also have a good number of trained personnel.

That being said, 10 year parts commitment is marketing.

Most people will not keep an ebike for 10 years, and even if they do,

1. One should mention that Bosch LOCKS the system so even after the warranty period you can not use 3rd party batteries/ components and have to buy parts from Bosch. Needless to say their oem parts are very expensive, $55 for an intuvia controller which is nothing more than 4 buttons (you can buy a keyboard with more than 100 keys for less than $9). Intuvia display which is an extremely simple unit with an lcd screen from 90's is $135, you can get an entry level smart phones(which are on a different level when it comes to functionality) today for half that price. Not to mention the price of $900 for a 500wh battery.

2. Sometimes you may need something that is better than the oem parts. For example I am willing to pay more for a 800wh capacity battery. Since the frame is not designed for dual battery, the only option is buy and carry a second battery which is inconvenient. Likewise if the system was not locked then a third party, even an undergrad student can write a nice little app for smartphones that can be more functional than Cobi or Nyon.

So, Bosch is more likely to make good money on a customer rather than doing her a favor if she wants to keep a bike for 10 years.

3. Even under warranty if you need something as simple as a firmware update and need it done by a shop which you have not purchased the bike from then you need to pay. This is not the lbs's fault since they actually PAY bosch to get the training and not compensated when they do these updates(This was the case in 2019, I don't know if they have changed their ways).

I will not have any of these problems with a Brose system because it is not locked and Shimano let's third party batteries to be used with their system at least.

So I don't know if I can say they are the best around. They are good but have their own issues.

On a side note: Having a closed, locked system has its advantages , diagnosis is somewhat easier, if something goes wrong parts are just replaced and designing becomes easier since you can treat the motor/battery as any other component on the bike. But most of the time these benefit the bike manufacturer not the customer.

...That being said, 10 year parts commitment is marketing....

Most people will not keep an ebike for 10 years, and even if they do...

I believe it has been presented in various videos by @Court and others that the 7-10 year parts commitment is an EU requirement. They likely have to follow that across their product lines (auto parts, appliances ...). And Bosch has chosen to follow that in the US as well.

Bosch ebike gear is expensive, without a doubt. It also features, arguably, the most rock solid, reliable ebike electrical components in the industry. For those who know bicycles in general but are not serious tinkerer, do it yourselfers, Bosch is a very good choice, as you rarely will have to deal with electrical issues and there are people widely distributed who can do that part for you.

For kit builders, or those who like to "get under the hood" and customize their rides, there are other choices that are more "open source" and will allow more flexibility in build choices.

Bottom Line... all of the Big 4 (Brose, Bosch, Shimano, and Yamaha) provide a good drive system for those who do not want to do modifications.
No single OEM manufacturer has a system that is the best in all areas ... tradeoffs are made to optimize motors for different use cases. (torque, speed, efficiency, noise, cadence, etc.)

Last edited:
If this is true, I'm wondering if Yamaha has some new improvements in their motors that will be quite significant. Trek has used Bosch motors for many years and I'm guessing it was a big decision to switch (if true).

If this is true, I'm wondering if Yamaha has some new improvements in their motors that will be quite significant.
Trek has used Bosch motors for many years and I'm guessing it was a big decision to switch (if true).

Good question... perhaps Trek wants to diversify and use more than one drive system supplier. 😉

Here is the current 2020 Yamaha line up with the new PW-X2 and PW-X2 speed 45 Kph drive system.

1592754752447.png

Last edited:
Back