2020 Vado 5.0 SR Suntour NCX E25 Front Fork Adjustment

martee1z

Hello...I purchased a new 2020 Vado 5.0 in mid-January 2020. I've never had a suspension fork on a bicycle before, and this is my first electric bike. My only other bicycle is a Merlin Cyrene road bike I bought about 19 years ago.

The "General Suspension Fork Manual" that came with the Vado is minimal at best, and the "turbo vado/como User Manual" doesn't discuss suspension fork adjustment at all.

I've watched a a few YouTube videos on spring based fork suspension adjustments, but nothing specific to the Suntour NCX E25. I also did a search on "Suntour NCX E25", but came up mainly with retail offers and nothing regarding NCX E25 adjustment.

About the only thing I've gleaned from what I've read and watched is that the coil spring preload tension governed by the dial on the top of the left fork dial should be equal to the tension of the compression adjustment set by dial on top of the right fork. Then there's the rebound adjust dial at the bottom of the right fork that's a bit of a mystery to me.

Can anyone offer me some adjustment tips specific to the NCX E25 or point me to documentation and/or videos that I may have missed that are tailored to the NCX E25 or something closely similar?

Thank you for any follow-ups.

Nothing specific to your fork, but I've had adjustable forks (and shocks) on things like bikes and motorcycles over the years and find that I must be insensitive to the changes because I usually set them to something the day I get the bike and then never touch them again.

The only important feature to me is the fork lockout that makes it rigid and better on smooth and semi-smooth surfaces. And I've been known to take my current bike on some rougher trail and wonder why the front end is bouncing around until I realize that I forgot to switch off the lockout feature! :)

Hello...I purchased a new 2020 Vado 5.0 in mid-January 2020. I've never had a suspension fork on a bicycle before, and this is my first electric bike. My only other bicycle is a Merlin Cyrene road bike I bought about 19 years ago.

The "General Suspension Fork Manual" that came with the Vado is minimal at best, and the "turbo vado/como User Manual" doesn't discuss suspension fork adjustment at all.

I've watched a a few YouTube videos on spring based fork suspension adjustments, but nothing specific to the Suntour NCX E25. I also did a search on "Suntour NCX E25", but came up mainly with retail offers and nothing regarding NCX E25 adjustment.

About the only thing I've gleaned from what I've read and watched is that the coil spring preload tension governed by the dial on the top of the left fork dial should be equal to the tension of the compression adjustment set by dial on top of the right fork. Then there's the rebound adjust dial at the bottom of the right fork that's a bit of a mystery to me.

Can anyone offer me some adjustment tips specific to the NCX E25 or point me to documentation and/or videos that I may have missed that are tailored to the NCX E25 or something closely similar?

Don’t think there’s any compression adjustment on any Vado. I have a 2020 Vado 5.0
Take a close look at the top of the right fork leg and you will find that the knob is for locking the fork ( no suspension)

1581377685709.jpeg

The Compression described in the general manual must be for air forks.
When it comes to rebound I think you will have to test it. I’ve tried to set mine at a middle position but I’m not sure.
(I’m kind of pleased with the picture I just took with my phone :))

Last edited:
i searched, found adjustments in some ads but no specifics. Check under the other cap or the cap itself and also check on the bottom near it on each tube. Is this air or spring fork?

on one of my bikes I didn’t know it had an adjustment til I cleaned the fork ,found the adjuster on the bottom thought it just a nut which had come loose and hand tightened previously

Opimax,

The Suntour NCX E25 fork on the 2020 Vado 5's is a spring loaded fork. It has a lock out lever on one fork arm and a preload adjust on the other.

BTW - service documents are posted on the manufacturer's web site at https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/NEX-E25-5904.html . I haven't gone through these so I can't say for sure if they offer any adjustment details.

I have a Vado 4 with the same fork. My problem is that it is way to stiff, no matter how big the bump the suspension won’t move. I weigh 160 pounds so I figure it should be enough to get the suspension to move. Are there different springs available?
Gotta say Suntour documentation is pretty poor.

I have a Vado 4 with the same fork. My problem is that it is way to stiff, no matter how big the bump the suspension won’t move. I weigh 160 pounds so I figure it should be enough to get the suspension to move. Are there different springs available?
Gotta say Suntour documentation is pretty poor.
Have you got the preload (usually on top of left fork tube) all the way loose (CCW)?

And no, 160 is fairly light weight as the manufacturers have to ensure that the fork won't be continuously bottoming out with a heavier rider/load on the bike. Many times a bike's weight capacity is 265#, 275# or even 300#.

I would assume that at 160# you will have to have the fork set full soft for both preload and rebound. Then if it gets too springy, first slow the rebound and then adjust the preload if necessary.

And you have it fully unlocked with the lever on the top of the right fork tube, right?

Have you got the preload (usually on top of left fork tube) all the way loose (CCW)?

And no, 160 is fairly light weight as the manufacturers have to ensure that the fork won't be continuously bottoming out with a heavier rider/load on the bike. Many times a bike's weight capacity is 265#, 275# or even 300#.

I would assume that at 160# you will have to have the fork set full soft for both preload and rebound. Then if it gets too springy, first slow the rebound and then adjust the preload if necessary.

And you have it fully unlocked with the lever on the top of the right fork tube, right?
Boy do I feel dumb. I thought I needed maximum preload so I was rotated all the way CW! I just adjusted it and it feels great. Thank you. You mention rebound adjustment where is that?

@TMH Good tip. I weigh less than 160 and also noticed the stiffness. I'll make sure to adjust that for my next ride. Also, I don't think the fork on my 4.0 has a rebound adjustment.

@TMH Good tip. I weigh less than 160 and also noticed the stiffness. I'll make sure to adjust that for my next ride. Also, I don't think the fork on my 4.0 has a rebound adjustment.
You might be right - I'm still awaiting delivery of my 4.0 (this week I hope!)

I did recall seeing it on Court's review of the 4.0, but perhaps the spec has changed. Check out about 2:50 in the video.

You might be right - I'm still awaiting delivery of my 4.0 (this week I hope!)

I did recall seeing it on Court's review of the 4.0, but perhaps the spec has changed. Check out about 2:50 in the video.

I am in Canada so our bikes are slightly different specs than yours. I now noticed that I also have an air valve under the fork I am assuming that it is also for preload adjustment?

I am in Canada so our bikes are slightly different specs than yours. I now noticed that I also have an air valve under the fork I am assuming that it is also for preload adjustment?
Wow, I've never heard of such a thing. So I put on my special Google-fu hat, and maybe what is fitted to Canadian bikes is a fork with a negative air spring? That would be an upgrade over the U.S. spec bike's spring fork.

Here is something I found, and you can research further from here. But remember that this is all guessing on my part.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/negative-air-i-dont-get-it/

Unless you are either really light weight or excessively Over Weight : It's likely set for an average weight from the Factory : My experience has been on pavement I have it locked : Were I coming to an area where I needed to drop of curbs I'd flip it on. If I was on a Gravel Road I'd leave it on. Over-all what I have found is it creates some level of drag : SO you won't even want to use it on Most Roads you'd be riding teh Bike on. It's really not on the Bike for utility : It's a Looks thing :

They do make the Vado's look sporty : I've seen one on a como and it added to the looks : That's not to say they don't add some comfort to the Ride : It's just not a super High Quality fork : I would bet if you messed around with it You'd hardly be able to tell :

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing. So I put on my special Google-fu hat, and maybe what is fitted to Canadian bikes is a fork with a negative air spring? That would be an upgrade over the U.S. spec bike's spring fork.

Here is something I found, and you can research further from here. But remember that this is all guessing on my part.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/negative-air-i-dont-get-it/
Because ebikes cost way more in Canada they spec them different so you don’t get all pissed off when compare them to US prices. Happens with most products actually.

Good thread! Actually, two threads on the same subject have appeared on the Forums.

I have ridden almost 2000 km on my Good Ole Mule (which is equipped with the Suntour Nex sus fork) and I didn't know I could adjust the coils. The fork was set as very hard at the factory. I turned the "screws" anti-clockwise at both sides and, voila!, the e-bike became soft and comfortable...

Thank you for the advices!

This is what the bottom of my NCX E25 fork looks like. No air valve as far as I can understand.
Right
1586200332593.jpeg

1586200377458.jpeg

Left
1586200561783.jpeg

Edit.
I promise I will clean it next warm day. Today was a fine sunny day, 13-14°C, and I prioritized riding over cleaning:D

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the Vado has a customized OEM version of the Suntour fork. There are several variances from the online spec, including the 160mm rotor compatibility. The Vado is equipped with a front 180mm rotor without the use of an adapter. Must be a special for the Vado.

Back