2020 Turbo Vado 5.0 w/Handbuilt Wheels

Brendon your front hub is 15 x 100? I thought the Vado SL was similar to the Creo and had a front hub of 12 x 110?

As for a drop bar on the Vado, that kind of reminds me of the 90s when John Tomac raced XC on his MTB but with drop bars. It looked really cool and with the courses they had in those days it was possible. Plus the geometry of XC bikes in the early 90s was very similar to the geometry of gravel bikes of today, which kind of brings us to the current day Diverge. It's the "gravel bike" and one of the models in the line can be had with a flat bar. Interesting how similar some gravel bikes today are to XC bikes of 30 years ago.

Correct, standard Vado/Como are 15x100 up front and 12x148 out back. The Vado SL and Creo SL models are "road boost" which is 12x110 and 12x148. Keep in mind the only wheels on the market (that I've found) are DT Swiss. You can handbuild wheels with something like a Nox carbon rim and use DT Swiss boost hubs, 15x110 up front and simply change out the endcaps to 12mm.

I would posted to this thread earlier, as to how much I loveove the look with the Mango wheels, but I couldn't find any paper towels to wipe the drool off of my tablet. The contrast between the dark and the light colours is very attractive. I suspect you have invested in some serious security gear. That bike would be a thief magnet! 😨

I'm really only riding to my shop and back home where it lives inside. Running errands around town is where I'll ride my track bike!

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_121446407.jpg
    IMG_20200530_121446407.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 271
Correct, standard Vado/Como are 15x100 up front and 12x148 out back. The Vado SL and Creo SL models are "road boost" which is 12x110 and 12x148. Keep in mind the only wheels on the market (that I've found) are DT Swiss. You can handbuild wheels with something like a Nox carbon rim and use DT Swiss boost hubs, 15x110 up front and simply change out the endcaps to 12mm.
I have a set of 27.5 wheels sitting in my garage that I'd love to use for my Creo, but I need end caps to change from 15 to 12. Are the end caps specific to sets of wheels or are they generic? Does your shop sell them? I have a set of Fulcrum MTB wheels that have quite narrow rims that would be perfect gravel wheels for my Creo, but I need proper end caps for the front wheel. Do you sell anything that might work for me?

I have a set of 27.5 wheels sitting in my garage that I'd love to use for my Creo, but I need end caps to change from 15 to 12. Are the end caps specific to sets of wheels or are they generic? Does your shop sell them? I have a set of Fulcrum MTB wheels that have quite narrow rims that would be perfect gravel wheels for my Creo, but I need proper end caps for the front wheel. Do you sell anything that might work for me?

Good question! Not all end caps are created equal! They're all very particular to the exact hub model, often there are differences even within the same brand. DT Swiss is probably the most versatile hub company with regards to their end caps. Fulcrum not so much. Fulcrum/Campagnolo, when they released their disc brake wheels were able to be adapted for different axles, since then they've updated the wheels and they're strictly standard road disc, 12x100 and 12x142, also going to a lower pricepoint. Depending on which model MTB wheels you have it might be able to be changed. Is it already a boost wheelset? One main challenge is the 12x110 is a very odd front axle. Everything in MTB is 15 or 20mm. There was a brief period in time when boost came out where you could find some 12x110 front axle setups. That died out within a year or so, hence why finding wheels for the Creo is so tough. I suspect it'll be come easier as more brands adopt "road boost" which is inevitable as q factors get wider and e bikes become more popular.

Yes, my wheelset is boost.

Hmmm, sounds like I might be better off just selling the front wheel and getting a custom front wheel built. The rear is 12 x 148 so it should fit no problem. If I give you the exact model of wheel would you be able to find out if you could supply something to me? I'm in Vancouver, BC so not far away. Can't cross the border now, but I'm sure something like that could be mailed.

Shoot me a PM with your email. Depending on the wheelset you might be better off selling it as a pair and building a proper set for the Creo. Lets chat further!

Have a close look at the controller ( we’re talking about the + - and set?) To me it looks like it may not be as simple as a longer bolt.
It doesn’t have flexibility like e.g. the handlebar grip for the TCD. Looks very much made to fit the outer ends of mountainbike handlebars, 22.2mm.
I don’t want to be right, I want you to fix what you want with your Vado and happily tell us about it :D
But have a look. I noticed this just an hour ago when I exchanged my handlebars to get more rise.
Thanks will take a closer look!

Thanks! Seatpost is a bit lighter and the smaller diameter has some give to it, plus I had it laying around. It's an older Shimano PRO Vibe 7s post. Wheels are a little lighter, I could go lighter but these are bombproof. The hubs are better and already broken in. Plus the tires are more road oriented, the main difference is it's easier for the bike to hold 46kph thus giving me a little more range. Not needed, but I like parking it as fast as it'll go on my way to the shop ;)

Converting would be pretty easy with a couple moves. The main challenge is you've got to replace the rear derailleur, Shimano mountain and road derailleurs and shifters have different cable pull ratios. Additionally you want to note which calipers and brake hoses you use, sometimes there is a road drop lever that can work with that system which lets you just replace the shifter/master cylinder versus the entire brake system. GRX stuff is totally rad and would work well, same thing Spec. uses on the Creo. Both the flat bars and 99% of road bars have a bar clamp diameter of 31.8mm, no issue switching over.
I have GRX on my Creo E5 and do love them.

Brendon your front hub is 15 x 100? I thought the Vado SL was similar to the Creo and had a front hub of 12 x 110?

As for a drop bar on the Vado, that kind of reminds me of the 90s when John Tomac raced XC on his MTB but with drop bars. It looked really cool and with the courses they had in those days it was possible. Plus the geometry of XC bikes in the early 90s was very similar to the geometry of gravel bikes of today, which kind of brings us to the current day Diverge. It's the "gravel bike" and one of the models in the line can be had with a flat bar. Interesting how similar some gravel bikes today are to XC bikes of 30 years ago.
Tomac is actually the reason I have been thinking of this! Of course I still think of him as a kid!

I was a big fan of Johnny T. I thought it was cool how he was a champion BMX racer, XC and DH star and then rode for the Motorola pro team in Europe. I suppose Cadel Evans and then Peter Sagan later had even more crossover success, but Johnny T was the first I know of.

Have a close look at the controller ( we’re talking about the + - and set?) To me it looks like it may not be as simple as a longer bolt.
It doesn’t have flexibility like e.g. the handlebar grip for the TCD. Looks very much made to fit the outer ends of mountainbike handlebars, 22.2mm.
I don’t want to be right, I want you to fix what you want with your Vado and happily tell us about it :D
But have a look. I noticed this just an hour ago when I exchanged my handlebars to get more rise.
You are correct. I took a closer look and it seems like it does not have the adjustability for a drop bar diameter. Maybe with the Creo, Specialized will make one because most of us Creo owners would likely want one as using the top tube button is less than convenient.

Back