2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Well, here's the rest of the story.
Weather was decent on Friday, as it was only -1C, so I headed out to my playground, Nose Hill. As I was entering the park I met a couple of fellow e-bike riders on their Haibikes and silly me, took no photos.
They live just about 3 km south of me and ride most days - mainly dual trails and paved paths.
Bikes were both a couple of years old, and they were really interested in mine, especially my makeshift battery blanket.

Here's the Strava route which is traveled clockwise from the green dot starting point on the upper right.
The blue X marks the spot of my eventual crash (details). From there, I rode one handed all the way home and that was about 9km.

Crash.JPG

First off, I headed up to an area where I knew there was a labyrinth - I've ridden by it on a ridge many times, and decided it was time to go have a look.
I decided I wouldn't try to ride it (that wouldn't be acceptable in my view).

More details about the labyrinth HERE.

20201126_132716.jpg 20201126_132655.jpg 20201126_132641.jpg

From there I rode up some trails and started for the southern edge of the park and as I was going by a thicket I've ridden past plenty of times, I spied some interesting structures inside.

20201126_133256.jpg 20201126_133315.jpg 20201126_133514.jpg 20201126_133341.jpg

This is where it got interesting and quite frankly, a bit sobering.
I came across a memorial for a young man who'd died of a Fentanyl overdose in one of these structures in 2017.

20201126_133250.jpg
A bit more on his story is here.

After spending a bit of time absorbing the tranquility of the thicket, I ventured back out onto the trails.

20201126_133636.jpg 20201126_133652.jpg 20201126_133652.jpg 20201126_133801.jpg 20201126_133805.jpg 20201126_133812.jpg 20201126_134013.jpg 20201126_134528.jpg20201126_134531.jpg 20201126_134540.jpg 20201126_134544.jpg 20201126_134547.jpg

It was shortly after the last picture where I took a left turn down a narrow, "un cycled" pathway heading for another thicket I'd never looked in before, where I lost my front end and crashed, thankfully at low speed and more thankfully, not too far from the major pathways (i.e. the way home)

The ride home was slow, and my brain was busy calculating how many months before golf season in case there was any real damage.
That ends anything of interest other than no apparent injuries other than some bruising and a lot of stiffness as a result.

And yes, the bike is fine. :cool:

Could you explain in a little more detail?
I sympathise with you!
Gentle downhill slope with snow, with ice underneath that snow (I presume). It just lost traction so quickly I was on the ground (on my shoulder) - I had no time to do anything.
It happened VERY fast, and I'd been in significantly more difficult/dangerous terrain earlier. It was a pretty benign area, so perhaps pilot error had a contributing factor - I've ridden in a lot worse.

But, those of us who live in cold wintery areas, do understand that the danger of slipping is always worse around 0 degrees C.
Bingo!

You might understand now why I'm not riding off-road in the Winter, Randall... We need to be careful, especially now. On road as well.

Quote "Our rides in words..." so here's the word: OUCH
Stay in the cockpit they say - well 95 Kg of me, and 23Kg of Giant pretty well all landed on one left shoulder...

No dislocations, separations or clavicle damage!. Why do I know - been there done that while playing many contact sports including Rugby.

Ice and analgesics are working, and hopefully be back in the saddle by Monday, but had to lay there for a minute to do a mental check of all limbs before I tried to get up.
Loose snow on top of ice, on a gentle downhill "mini-path" between a couple of single tracks - tom foolery at it's best. Rode home (5Km) mostly one handed on paved paths (which I normally avoid)

More to come on the ride itself, as I came across some interesting stuff before the day's adventure was cut short.
My friend took the same hit last week on a small jump, its knocked his confidence quite a bit.
Hope you dont let it, everyone falls off, youre not doing it right if you dont. :)

Gentle downhill slope with snow, with ice underneath that snow (I presume). It just lost traction so quickly I was on the ground (on my shoulder) - I had no time to do anything.
It happened VERY fast, and I'd been in significantly more difficult/dangerous terrain earlier. It was a pretty benign area, so perhaps pilot error had a contributing factor - I've ridden in a lot worse.

But, those of us who live in cold wintery areas, do understand that the danger of slipping is always worse around 0 degrees C.
Bingo!
Some of the snow covered sections along that singletrack look pretty sketchy. Just glad to hear that know that you're okay. I've seen photos of that labyrinth but had no idea about the history behind it. Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

The last time it snowed like that in the UK was 1976, I remember standing next to a telegraph pole and being able to hold the wires.
I remember 1976 being a scorcher of a summer but I don't remember snow like that in the winter, however either 1985 or 1986 we had a massive snowfall...my car was buried for over a week outside my house! Luckily in those days I lived right next to my workplace!

My friend took the same hit last week on a small jump, its knocked his confidence quite a bit.
Hope you dont let it, everyone falls off, youre not doing it right if you dont. :)
Be careful putting the "everyone falls off, you're not doing it right if you don't" mantra in peoples subconscious. I like staying on two wheels, upright and pain free.🚲

This scene is about one or two kilometres away from the rail trail. I hadn't diverted to take the photo; it was more a case of avoiding construction works (concreting the rail trail through a country village).

As I crossed the bridge, which had far too narrow a safety strip on either side, my attention was commanded by this view… all lush and green (please imagine). I parked the ebike on the wrong side of the road where it would be out of harm's way. Once again stares from country folk, this time in cars and pickups: Why photograph that? Because it is not like that back home!

0005.jpg

Nice! Very cool. No pun intended. Studded tires?
Yes, I ride on studded tires but selecting the right tire that corresponds to the winter road conditions on any given day is key. More studs (300 +) mean greater traction but increased rolling friction and more required pedaling effort. The versions I have are a slight compromise and sport over 200 spikes but perform well for me. Some of the trails here are not well maintained or not plowed at all but as long as the ambient temperature remains below 0C I can still ride over the icy ruts and the tires won't chew through the hardpack below.

At Specialized Warsaw and Anita's (or, Why I Didn't Demo Ride Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ)

It was expected to be dry, yet it rained. Temperature of 3C (apparent -2 C), or what Americans call "low 30s". I rode off at 8:23 a.m. clad in my Winter Armour #2. All well, I only hated my goggles being covered with the drizzle.

1606597040615.png

Specialized Warsaw showroom is located at the city limits in the southernmost quarter of the city. My Vado was already dirty. Even before I entered the showroom, I already knew I wouldn't rent the Vado SL for a demo ride on that day. It would be a waste to ride a brand new bike under such weather conditions.

1606597287946.png

Specialized Turbo Vado Super-Lightweight 5.0 EQ (the most expensive model). A beauty! I tested the size: With the size M, my testicles would be just millimetres above the top tube :) I would need the size S instead. Although I could demo ride the size M.

1606597524368.png

Compared to the regular Vado, the SL feels lightweight as a feather. I actually could carry that e-bike in my hand easily! Or, on my shoulder. A great e-bike!

1606597657533.png

I also tested Specialized Turbo Como for my friend Anita. That's the most comfortable bike I have ever tried! (@Art Deco, @Marcela: Hear hear!) If you want to stop the bike, you just move your feet from pedals and you can just support yourself on your toes touching the ground. You lift your feet and just ride again! The saddle is as comfortable as an armchair! You ride the Como in a totally upright position.The EU version of Como 4.0 comes with 700c wheels, 2" tyres, and a suspension fork. It is fully equipped. Anita will need size S.

1606598177323.png

Specialized Warsaw store is located just 4 km from Anita's home, and they seem to be close with Specialized Poland. I feel having such LBS so close makes an e-bike choice for Anita a no-brainer! The personnel seemed to be professional, polite & helpful.

1606598367635.png

At Lech & Anita's. Like me, Lech is a process engineer. I'm demonstrating the Como riding in this very picture :D

1606598485121.png

A brunch at Anita's. My clothes are drying on the heaters.

1606598564761.png

My friend Anita.

1606598663819.png

At Las Kabacki, the southernmost park of Warsaw. Riding here was very easy, even on my Vado with road tyres. Meanwhile, it stopped raining. I rode upwind on the battery #2. Today's ride meant Sport and Turbo modes.

1606598846998.png

In the Puławska Street. A little joke. The furniture manufacturer Piotr Kler has named his own company KLER. The word KLER means "clergy"... :D So, a church and clergy in one pic!

1606599128273.png

Ride Map 1.

1606599187350.png

So you can understand where Warsaw has actually been related to the ride :)

1606599293528.png

Not to catch cold... not to catch cold... (My mantra).

Last edited:
At Specialized Warsaw and Anita's (or, Why I Didn't Demo Ride Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ)

It was expected to be dry, yet it rained. Temperature of 3C (apparent -2 C), or what Americans call "low 30s". I rode off at 8:23 a.m. clad in my Winter Armour #2. All well, I only hated my goggles being covered with the drizzle.

View attachment 72878
Specialized Warsaw showroom is located at the city limits in the southernmost quarter of the city. My Vado was already dirty. Even before I entered the showroom, I already knew I wouldn't rent the Vado SL for a demo ride on that day. It would be a waste to ride a brand new bike under such weather conditions.

View attachment 72879
Specialized Turbo Vado Super-Lightweight 5.0 EQ (the most expensive model). A beauty! I tested the size: With the size M, my testicles would be just millimetres above the top tube :) I would need the size S instead. Although I could demo ride the size M.

View attachment 72880
Compared to the regular Vado, the SL feels lightweight as a feather. I actually could carry that e-bike in my hand easily! Or, on my shoulder. A great e-bike!

View attachment 72881
I also tested Specialized Turbo Como for my friend Anita. That's the most comfortable bike I have ever tried! (@Art Deco, @Marcela: Hear hear!) If you want to stop the bike, you just move your feet from pedals and you can just support yourself on your toes touching the ground. You lift your feet and just ride again! The saddle is as comfortable as an armchair! You ride the Como in a totally upright position.The EU version of Como 4.0 comes with 700c wheels, 2" tyres, and a suspension fork. It is fully equipped. Anita will need size S.

View attachment 72882
Specialized Warsaw store is located just 4 km from Anita's home, and they seem to be close with Specialized Poland. I feel having such LBS so close makes an e-bike choice for Anita a no-brainer! The personnel seemed to be professional, polite & helpful.

View attachment 72883
At Lech & Anita's. Like me, Lech is a process engineer. I'm demonstrating the Como riding in this very picture :D

View attachment 72884

View attachment 72885
My friend Anita.

View attachment 72886
At Las Kabacki, the southernmost park of Warsaw. Riding here was very easy, even on my Vado with road tyres. Meanwhile, it stopped raining. I rode upwind on the battery #2. Today's ride meant Sport and Turbo modes.

View attachment 72887
In the Puławska Street. A little joke. The furniture manufacturer Piotr Kler has named his own company KLER. The words KLER means "clergy"... :D So, a church and clergy in one pic!

View attachment 72888
Ride Map 1.

View attachment 72889

View attachment 72890
Sorry you didn't get to test out the SL. Another day, yes?
And as far as it goes "The EU version of Como 4.0 comes with 700c wheels, 2" tyres, and a suspension fork. It is fully equipped. " The South American version Como comes with both the sus. fork and the USA speed programming. I just need to make a friend in Venezuela ...

View attachment 72878

View attachment 72879

View attachment 72880

View attachment 72881

View attachment 72882

View attachment 72883

View attachment 72884

View attachment 72885
My friend Anita.

View attachment 72886

View attachment 72887
In the Puławska Street. A little joke. The furniture manufacturer Piotr Kler has named his own company KLER. The words KLER means "clergy"... :D So, a church and clergy in one pic!

View attachment 72888
Ride Map 1.

View attachment 72889

View attachment 72890
Very nice Stefan. đź‘Ť To have an actual Specialized showroom close enough to bike to would be a dream for most of us. The Vado SL 5.0 EQ is on the top of the list of a close relative of mine. In fact, I'm willing to bet the color shown on that particular model would also be his first choice. They are hard to come by here so I guess he'll just have to wait a little longer.

Sorry you didn't get to test out the SL. Another day, yes?
Sure! I only don't want to make my gf @Brix upset by making an impression I'd like to buy the bike. I already own as many as three e-bikes :)

To have an actual Specialized showroom close enough to bike to would be a dream for most of us.
If they opened in April this year, I would be riding Specialized Turbo Levo Comp today, not Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro. The other Specialized LBS are sorry people I would prefer to avoid in the future.

Back