2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Hey I was born in NE Kansas. Didn't know they had rail trails in Kansas. You wouldn't happen to know if somebody has published maybe US wide availability of rail trails would you?

Anybody else? Thanks :)
The Flint Hills trail starts in Osowatomie and heads westerly to Council Grove. There's more undeveloped rail right of way past Council Grove that still needs to be converted. The other rail trail in this area is the Prairie Spirit which starts in Ottawa and heads south to Herrington. Both are now part of the KS State Park system.

Not my pic, but looks to have captured an ebike so thought it would be appropriate to share here...

IMG_1767.jpg

Kyogle Northern Loop Northern NSW, Australia 19 November 2020
Wiangaree [via Wiangaree Back Rd (westside)] to Kyogle Return to Wiangaree [via Collins Creek Rd (eastside)]

The plan is to cycle – according to wind direction – clockwise or anti-clockwise from Wiangaree to Kyogle and back.
Windy.jpg
I use Windy.com all the time - especially as their maps show such great detail..not to mention also giving wind direction & strength [see the tiny red tell-tales in photos above.]
19.7km for west ride [12.24 miles] 28.3km for east ride, back [17.6 miles]
Komoot_WEST3.jpg
Komoot_EAST2.jpg
Also use Komoot for directions
Starting at Wiangaree, a tiny whistle-stop 14km north of Kyogle, via the Summerland Way by car.
Features: General Store – that sells beer, sea-food, beer, Asian Orchids, burgers, more beer, fried chicken, more assorted alcohols and all other general goods...oh it is also Railway museum..did I mention beer? I always start at the least populated town - so as to have more lunch choices in the halfway 'big' town ( of Kyogle, in this case.)

First real wildlife- lone kangaroo browsing on roadside grass just over the hump in the road… it obviously did not hear an electric bike creeping up.
Kangaroo1.jpg

And a flying fox colony - well formally Grey Headed Fruit Bat.
Bat_Colony.jpg

I have hand raised a few of these bats - and they are as smart as a good dog... but they do smell...

Finally the long shots;
Again, rolling flat country side. A view to the North with the wind is on my rear right quarter. [Thx!! www.Windy.com]
You can see the 2.5 litres [5.3 pints] of water - it was 33 degrees C [~91degrees F] back at the car!!
Long_and_Winding_road_1.jpg
Long_and_Winding_road_2.jpg

Given the poor gravel and corrugations of the East side [Collins Creek Rd] – it would be better to return along the western side road [Waingaree Back Road] – shorter, but possibly more enjoyable. Summary: do the west half of the trip - twice!
Safe riding!
[First post about a ride - not real sure how these photos work out...can only get better :) ]
Edit: to re-attach pictures - see, getting better!

Last edited:
I had a spare couple of hours this morning and the weather was looking okayish so I checked the weather apps and only 1 even mentioned the possibility of rain, light rain around 10am which was right in the middle of my ride! So I set off well wrapped up fully expecting to get a little rain...well the possible light rain turned into hail and torrential rain, that hail really hurts!!! I could see a clearing to the south so rapidly headed that way and managed to outrun it, what a relief that was!

It was a good test for my bike which didn't even skip a beat, I was also trying out new Castelli gloves which were listed as windproof and waterproof and they really were fantastic, the only problem was I forgot to put my jacket sleeves over the gloves to stop the rain running down my sleeves into the gloves so that resulted in cold hands but only for a few miles thankfully! I won't make that mistake again! ;) Even though I got a proper soaking I still enjoyed the ride, I was sufficiently warmed up before the rain hit so I didn't even get cold! They said the wind would gust to around 30mph but I swear it must have been around 40mph at times, tomorrow is looking much more promising so hopefully another 50 miler coming up!

1605964090207.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile227.jpg
    elevation_profile227.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 226
  • trip-59340054-map-full142.png
    trip-59340054-map-full142.png
    419.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 20201121_103731.jpg
    20201121_103731.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 20201121_103742.jpg
    20201121_103742.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 20201121_103744.jpg
    20201121_103744.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 20201121_103748.jpg
    20201121_103748.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 20201121_103817.jpg
    20201121_103817.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 20201121_103823.jpg
    20201121_103823.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 20201121_110919.jpg
    20201121_110919.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 20201121_110929.jpg
    20201121_110929.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 20201121_110954.jpg
    20201121_110954.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 20201121_110956.jpg
    20201121_110956.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 237
Threw a vid together of me testing the fatbike, just love what it can do , practically unstoppable.
All speeded up of course or its boring, if you sailed straight out from the beach you would hit Ireland or maybe the Isle of Man on the way at 90 miles.
Cool video... thanks for sharing! ;)

Chargeride, You are one lucky boy getting to ride in dunes like that. Here in Texas if you take any vehicle into the beach dunes they will put you UNDER the jail. Probably the same around the US. :)

Chargeride, You are one lucky boy getting to ride in dunes like that. Here in Texas if you take any vehicle into the beach dunes they will put you UNDER the jail. Probably the same around the US. :)
Same in California, unless you're riding in one of the approved areas like Oceano Dunes. Looked like fun for a younger man...😔

Im sure that will change as ebikes start to increase, I actually saw two other e fatbikes in the area.
I wouldnt ride those dunes like that more than a few times a month, my tracks blow over within hours and as you can see a lot of it has heavy footfall anyway.
They are incredible dunes, you can see they have been eroded by a recent storm, but they get rebuilt quite quickly by the wind.

To See Jerzy

With the recent winter weather, I need to find a good pretext to make a really long ride. On Friday evening, I looked at my very old route plans: Just surprise my friend @Jerzy Bańkowski and pay him a visit at home. The last time I attempted such a ride, my old buddy was out riding himself, we didn't meet at that time, and my trip ended up with a 75-miler :)

On Saturday morning, I got prepared. Put on my Winter Armour #2 (the one with leather hiking boots and heated socks) and rode out with my freshly 100% maintained Vado, taking the Hwy 719 first. While I was riding through Pruszków, some pedestrian tried to shout me to use the bike path! I got terribly irritated (I am not allowed to use bike paths with the S-Pedelec) and went into some unpleasant verbal argument with the guy :D While in Warsaw, I had to use many bike paths anyway: If I rode any of the inner city arteries, no driver would have understood...

After having ridden twenty-some km, I took a stop at Mokotów Fields, which is a large park; in early aviation history, the Fields hosted the first Warsaw's airfield. I gave Jerzy a phone call and indeed, it was too cold for him to ride out: 1 C, perceived temperature of -2 C (low 30s F), wind. Soon, I discovered my gloves had been too thin. Replaced them with the "turtle" style ones from the pannier.

1606034022615.png

One of many murals under the Siekierkowski Bridge flyover. This one is for the 50th anniversary of the University Club for Cycling Tourism.

I let Jerzy (and my gf) track my ride online via Strava Beacon. The feature works perfectly, is precise and updates the rider's position and the route already completed every 30 seconds or so. Jerzy was actually waiting for me at his gate! :) No pictures as neither of us had had a shave for a week :) During the stay at Jerzy's, I replaced the Vado 604 Wh battery. The 40.8 km ride has left 43% of the first battery; I was riding downwind in 35% Eco mode.

1606034553705.png

Another Siekierkowski Bridge mural.

1606034618627.png

Boredom. Dreary weather, cold adverse wind on the way back. I had to increase the assistance to 50% Sport mode to keep at least some decent speed (and the speed was only 24 km/h or 15 mph).

Jerzy had a lot of fun with watching my ride on Strava Beacon. As a die-hard traditional cyclist making many thousand of kilometres a year, he knows all the paths and streets. He was commenting my endeavours live on Facebook. Like: "You have crossed a lawn! Bad boy!" :D

1606035040566.png

Ferrari Warszawa, near to the Warsaw Chopin Airport Cargo Terminal. I could see potential buyers at that Saturday afternoon.

A single thing made me miserable: I should have replaced the Vado pedals with the spiked ones. The soles of my boots tended to slip on the current pedals a little. I was finishing my ride at night (I came home at 5 p.m). And - the battery! Although the internal battery temperature was as high as +13 C, the headwind made me return home (45 km) with only 6% left at that spare! What a difference compared to the outbound ride!

(I'm afraid I could have caught cold. No ride today!)

1606036445439.png

Detailed ride map. Note that the ride to Jerzy could be completed via the Gassy Ferry (if it were operating) or the new Southern Bridge (were it completed). The Southern Bridge construction is even slower than the Giant Ride Control 2 development! :D

1606035657497.png

The ride metrics, Strava and BLEvo combined. You can see estimated battery consumption (148%; I would say it was 151%), my own performance, weather conditions, etc.

Last edited:
Out on the Flint Hills Trail in eastern Kansas today. It is 110 mile rail trail. Decent temps and not too windy today. I ride a Specialized Vado SL which isn't the prefect ride for this trail, but I have tires that work OK for pea gravel & leaves while I try to avoid the sticks and horse poop. I probably won't get many more rides like this before winter sets in.
What tires do you have Jeff? I was thinking of replacing the pathfinder 38s with something knobblier & 42 size for comfort- which I think is max size for Vado SL with mudguards/fenders. Been exploring rougher tracks and little used lanes recently and worried the terrain might rattle lose parts damage wheels etc.

Was riding around on a lake path When I came upon another biker who I was keeping pace with in PAS 1.
He signaled me to pass and as I did he sped up to keep me from passing ! So then I stood up and really started pedaling and passed him and moved into the right lane.
I returned to my original cadence and what do you know...he came screaming past me 30 sec later!
Okay I had enough, I slammed my PAS to 5 and blew by him like he was going backwards and kept going so that he couldn't catch me again.:cool:

IMG_0757.jpg

Back