2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
None of my bikes can be put into the Renault Megane estate car without the front wheel removed ;) These e-bikes have wide handlebars...
Going on-topic:
The coming Sunday should mean a metric century loop in the Lesser Poland, the Cracow area. The region there is pleasantly hilly; my friends completed that route a week ago riding hybrid mechanical bikes. My Vado should be as good there :)

View attachment 57502
The outward route was planned as "MTB-style" although the terrain is not that hard there.

View attachment 57503
The return route, planned in "road bike-style". The total elevation gain will be 900 m, or almost 3000 ft. I'm excited!
Yes it can be more awkward with wide handlebars, enjoy your trip on Sunday! :) I think I might rest my thumb until Monday, the weather isn't looking very nice for the next few days anyway...

That will be the last 100 km ride for a while.

Once again the Homage, a beautiful but seriously flawed ebike, is kaput. I've lost count of how many times this bike has suddenly stopped in the middle of a ride! Error Code 532 this time.

Breaking down seems to be what my Riese & Müller Homage does best – especially when it is ridden on the rough tracks that it's Control Technology suspension was designed to smooth out!

To me appears that piggybacking a second battery on the loose-fitting lid of the primary battery compartment was a catastrophic design blunder. Why didn't R&M position the downtube battery's cover on the side like most other makers do? Or put the second battery on the pannier rack?

I think it's time to pay Giant, Specialized or Trek a visit.

Distance ridden on the Homage: 17,600 km.
Sorry to hear you are having bike troubles. Best of luck getting back to it soon!
BTW, I didn’t catch what make/model your camera is. I’m using my iPhone 8 Plus for almost everything these days as I've put my venerable Canon 5d Mk2 in my daughter’s hands to document my new grandson.
7A7FE0BF-70C8-43E8-A70B-E4747272E9D6.jpeg

Damn, Dave, that is going to have to stop. That could be a significant problem 40 or 50 kilometers out in the middle of crocs and snakes and wallabees. After all your adventures I’d be a bit nervous about getting out of sight of civilization at all.

I had three episodes with my last bike where It left me without power. Fortunately one was in my driveway, one twenty miles from home that required rescue by my wife, and I don’t remember what I did the third time. That was it for me, though, and it was hello Giant.

End of the line …
2020-07-01-113548-2000-gb10.jpg

Lowood: 60 km on elevation graph.
Damn, Dave, that is going to have to stop. That could be a significant problem 40 or 50 kilometers out in the middle of crocs and snakes and wallabies.
2020-07-01-elevation.jpg

• 10 km : Motor cuts out. Dreaded Error Code 352.
  • 20 km : Fortunately, I had time to consider whether to press on or head home before I disappeared over the horizon. As can be seen from the graph, there was a minor bump at 20 km. No problem: there was an alternative return route (aka main road). In short, I could avoid those hills on the way back.
  • 30 km : Major climb! Either make it to the top (I did) or coast back down.
  • 40 km : Another escape route: the dreaded Warrego Highway, an interstate trucking route.
  • 45 km : Photo of puddle in the parched paddock (previous page).
  • 50 km : Brutally steep. By now the motor had cut out three or four times but had resumed after being switched off and then on. Again, I decided to press on. The problem was being caught out in the dip near the top (directly above 50 on the elevation graph). That didn't happen and I zoomed down to Lowood. (Hate to know what speed RabH and his Giant would have hit!)
  • 60 km : photo with this post.
  • 80 km : photo at top of page.
  • 100 km : Every ride from home starts with a downhill zoom and ends with an uphill slog!

End of the line …
View attachment 57501
Lowood: 60 km on elevation graph.

View attachment 57507
  • 10 km : Motor cuts out. Dreaded Error Code 352.
  • 20 km : Fortunately, I had time to consider whether to press on or head home before I disappeared over the horizon. As can be seen from the graph, there was a minor bump at 20 km. No problem: there was an alternative return route (aka main road). In short, I could avoid those hills on the way back.
  • 30 km : Major climb! Either make it to the top (I did) or coast back down.
  • 40 km : Another escape route: the dreaded Warrego Highway, an interstate trucking route.
  • 45 km : Photo of puddle in the parched paddock (previous page).
  • 50 km : Brutally steep. By now the motor had cut out three or four times but had resumed after being switched off and then on. Again, I decided to press on. The problem was being caught out in the dip near the top (directly above 50 on the elevation graph). That didn't happen and I zoomed down to Lowood. (Hate to know what speed RabH and his Giant would have hit!)
  • 60 km : photo with this post.
  • 80 km : photo at top of page.
  • 100 km : Every ride from home starts with a downhill zoom and ends with an uphill slog!
Intermittent problems are the worst, reliabilty is paramount on an e bike when you are travelling long distances! Sorry about all your troubles David! :( That looks like a good descent to hit my 50mph sweet spot! :p

Damn, Dave, that is going to have to stop. That could be a significant problem 40 or 50 kilometers out in the middle of crocs and snakes and wallabees. After all your adventures I’d be a bit nervous about getting out of sight of civilization at all.

I had three episodes with my last bike where It left me without power. Fortunately one was in my driveway, one twenty miles from home that required rescue by my wife, and IThat was it for me, though, and it was hello Giant.
Exactly what I was looking for?
View attachment 57609
Corinda, Brisbane
any splinters or redbacks

What an assortment of interesting places and rides that have been shared on this thread. My wife and I also enjoy loop rides for recreation and now, in the age of covid-19, just to get out of our home confinement. But for years working as a photographer I used a bicycle to survey urban environs. It is the absolute best form of transportation to "see" a town or city. The bicycle can be easily parked and a tripod and camera quickly assembled. With my current ebike I have a small basket attached to the rear rack that can carry a camera with a few lenses and a lightweight tripod.
sept24-148-Edit.jpg

What an assortment of interesting places and rides that have been shared on this thread. My wife and I also enjoy loop rides for recreation and now, in the age of covid-19, just to get out of our home confinement. But for years working as a photographer I used a bicycle to survey urban environs. It is the absolute best form of transportation to "see" a town or city. The bicycle can be easily parked and a tripod and camera quickly assembled. With my current ebike I have a small basket attached to the rear rack that can carry a camera with a few lenses and a lightweight tripod. View attachment 57648
Given the ebike’s usefulness in cities, I’ve wondered when we would see more urban photography!👍😎

What an assortment of interesting places and rides that have been shared on this thread. My wife and I also enjoy loop rides for recreation and now, in the age of covid-19, just to get out of our home confinement. But for years working as a photographer I used a bicycle to survey urban environs. It is the absolute best form of transportation to "see" a town or city. The bicycle can be easily parked and a tripod and camera quickly assembled. With my current ebike I have a small basket attached to the rear rack that can carry a camera with a few lenses and a lightweight tripod.
I'm taking my full-frame gear minus the tripod for my Sunday's 70 miler in Lesser Poland. Unfortunately, the photo gear weighs more than 2 kilograms. I use an Ortlieb pannier with the Ultimate Camera Insert.

I'm taking my full-frame gear minus the tripod for my Sunday's 70 miler in Lesser Poland. Unfortunately, the photo gear weighs more than 2 kilograms. I use an Ortlieb pannier with the Ultimate Camera Insert.
Would the vibrations from the ride cause any damage to the camera? If it's full frame, I'm assuming it's an expensive camera.

Back