2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Oh, shiny! Congrats on the purchase. How do you find it to ride, now you've got your hands on it?
It's a fantastic high class e-MTB, beautiful innit. My brothers, MTB riders were enchanted. We had to raise the stem for the standard 80 mm and then the bike got very comfy. I disliked the saddle and replaced it with the e-bike dedicated Selle Royal e-Zone. You fit your own pedals; I use platform Bontrager ones for the moment. I will replace the grips, too. Apart from that, my Monster is a marvel!

I especially like the shocks. You can switch the rear damper action between Firm, Moderate, and Open position and there is a lockout in the front shock. As I own a shock pump, the proper setup was very easy. The tyres are tubeless, and I chose 2.2 bar as the initial pressure. The Auto assistance works very well; you only take care of shifting gears of the 12 speed Shimano cassette.

And that Chameleon colour! I wouldn't ever buy this bike if the Specialized LBS didn't keep my Vado for such a long time (and they still haven't returned it to me). Everything takes weeks with Specialized. Giant LBS delivered the Trance within 2 days.

Today turned out to be another great day for a ride despite the forecast. Yesterday I decided to take my mountain bike to get more of a workout - the rhododendrons were still beautiful, even if a tad past their prime.

gK98oaHpcK3i_GBKMIBVevCrg3HT9qHqNpPX3i5jzAB1EhCjTSwJ4s5LOXCsfGIbe7mPrAf1bBSPDH-94lv0sYf2F5_N9hAU4-sdyWmhiko85aCHhq391-gIfr7fC-e4WADNlhhkcg=w800

YS5IWZX0fXU-tWAVE5kP_rvLXxxcCAoOTOEg5wkMi4xVHe8W7D-I6PfEU2Ek3oG3jkS8WhTEHu4TruW-7-2qnIRMbwxxuV-TUZ6JvJew7SInMQRpMIQMYSPZfhqP3SdqZX2XRzIp0A=w800

-NRPtFVMqk2YxrSFMQLbpEZdh4HfZPl9Rlv4AJi2o-VY2_LpmWJ2sm6_mRvhdj0k_esnjlTJuwPep2aojHGQE8786-LUeAaQx6FqnICG6nAuGNV8mzm7F7Pa1Q5wu5djZXaMh8mM4A=w800

7Jaz619BGKWhPiYzrNqjNdG_sr9LHww3tadv7xswkTxZAjt_wGc7_dITWI5CdzehXOOtBU48SHNQOF937k3N-GS4BRCEfG33dIfqhBvaYt_cyJK7lf6DhwvcyhbDtn_KdnDoSMpHLw=w800

Today my new grocery pannier arrived, so of course I had to go for a grocery run. I grabbed a few items at the first store but wanted to ride more before finishing up my shopping at the next store.

FfCRdJ3rNu8BrFLKh6OQVeo614hx2vtpuvCb6f0eL3rEy_KmueYZe_P2iOb9EcGM_ndn3LNoxeevUtbi1WZGVayjxBkww8hhd1huTc8RIyMc4jqOEa3AVwALIZ8eTlWSwJlelAte8g=w800

F30vHI2kml7c3PzYrG28SBowGgD7asG9cN5D-bDdXJZ-Vr_ESAOe3fNMXWY5wX820YFbXGmBvQj4C4R7utlRoye2U32oTxZCLji2TRI2S4I0kz4HIPrdr_ihL0dA2EzrYvZS4Kfs9w=w800

A3PnLhvh98gFCH-EonwydEYNYJOox3sdm6o727Fhs0H6iGMdMp6Ymi513vYh2OEpiso2P8OrgpMVqXaKNioJ-7Jj5PTMyD8JbtbOlKviaJJb8iWctS5HGk2YThc6RwTHJNopLVRNoA=w800

n2LB8e8fjdPhW2ZgFdRZ-y77gcBnRgMnJXRsF81cmhAVtDItRuITlEjeRlvSK12-SzNfJ7AYmw5muNL1eeXdGIJVrEP78hNTGkwHJ1nKqkTUOEXbY6xwpY7De7eIA2qTSRQpoI2rhQ=w800

As I was stopping in to the next Safeway I noticed a street performer on the corner. I could hear some darkness in his lyrics as I approached, but it was performed beautifully, and I extended a donation in appreciation. We chatted for a bit and I asked if it would be OK to take a few pictures and a short video. He was happy to oblige. As he played I noticed a change in lyrics and I sensed he may have been appreciative that someone stopped by. He had said his music was mostly improvised. It didn't strike me until I was walking in to Safeway and donning my mask that we are in the midst of a pandemic, lulled by the music into a semblance of normalcy while petting his "best friend in the world" as he had put it.

ot2QH3s63Z8T8gWxVI9q6vZGLFUNgpErp7HrqNFzV5Rb2N84ma_6nx3Yr_TgNw5-vRf9sDYYAbYHMylEhGQ2D6JgMGc1flOeLF9fGGWjLpFDTL7vQNQGJOnyxOGIjqguyi6DRtcGKQ=w800

BVRoMjMZWi3KKaH3sMww0R7aUULO6ibpPPnqlJtwgv2CjgjF6isgh5Jo_RtwsqlxqkyYACvQmFWpPqLnNM6UjNVcskZG0ojj-mJwqDL7sCOWkFG_A_JhBDO_TPwlMzMPsfTVcqwlHA=w800

While shopping I checked the video and realized it had cut off during the interaction, so stopped by for a second take on my way out (from a more sensible social distance). I offered a bottle of cold pressed watermelon juice, of which he also was quite appreciative, perfect timing for his break.

XBiXAF-MCjJPh9LVcQaOIdMVT3hzIkzKai9awAPDL6lb9S8g1YXXDFPZS0mTgttEz-efJ6M7L2IEgOBFrF28L7hkr3kB9VdViw0QuvZKrJgSSiYQH_3rQZL0JDIWvT3aYrw9nWij-w=w800

He mentioned someone "on Jackson" had just given him this "$100 guitar", a blessing as he had been performing with a 3/4 size guitar. I told him the guitar had a great tune, just goes to show it matters more who is playing it. I wished him well, and he bid me "Hare Krishna" as I rode off. I didn't realize how late it was getting. It was nice to have enough battery to gun it all the way home, getting back just in time for a beautiful sunset over the lake from the driveway.

xfsnPDurMCSJtjAw0MYwAN6zwpO8NYhQdyztPQFtzLZC4U2f2elwmJWrSSvU9n3Tn8rp0C15RB87NOTf5VV39-rN1KywUCAhTWtnnKAaU7lmPYRHBs0xD40Vx49xC6ymdz-CzZST5A=w800

1gqLrWWYUT2Fz6F0bO3iPT85iJpJBLUqjUIT4y2tAB7nVB7PuHk8aXqd6TuI4o5dMCkbCAjv6IMG9n0_wNxsVJaXT7CSjQm0uFcDcMVb3Q1yfwTMlq-vkF39mo5DmpHtzUl8LE54Wg=w800

Last edited:
As I was stopping in to the next Safeway I noticed a street performer on the corner. I could hear some darkness in his lyrics as I approached, but it was performed beautifully, and I extended a donation in appreciation. We chatted for a bit and I asked if it would be OK to take a few pictures and a short video. He was happy to oblige. As he played I noticed a change in lyrics and I sensed he may have been appreciative that someone stopped by. He had said his music was mostly improvised. It didn't strike me until I was walking in to Safeway and donning my mask that we are in the midst of a pandemic, lulled by the music into a semblance of normalcy while petting his "best friend in the world" as he had put it.

While shopping I checked the video and realized it had cut off during the interaction, so stopped by for a second take on my way out (from a more sensible social distance). I offered a bottle of cold pressed watermelon juice, of which he also was quite appreciative, perfect timing for his break.

He mentioned someone "on Jackson" had just given him this "$100 guitar", a blessing as he had been performing with a 3/4 size guitar. I told him the guitar had a great tune, just goes to show it matters more who is playing it. I wished him well, and he bid me "Hare Krishna" as I rode off. I didn't realize how late it was getting. It was nice to have enough battery to gun it all the way home, getting back just in time for a beautiful sunset over the lake from the driveway.

Well done... and good Karma from kindness to strangers. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the congrats!

The short answer to the Trance E questions:
1. EU Class 1 e-MTB only makes sense off-road and in the hilly terrain. Will ride both.
2. Yamaha motor is very good but noisy. I can get used to that. (All e-MTBs are noisy).
3. The bike rides beautifully.

I will report fully with a photo in few hours.

Last edited:
The First Off-Road Ride on the Monster

So far, any attempt of mine to get off-road with either of my e-bikes ended badly; these are fast but built or set up for roads. Moreover, these bikes (Vado and Lovelec) do not tolerate gravel, hate damaged tarmac, and despise cobblestone. In case a road is covered with even thin layer of sand, I need to either stop the bike and walk it or the wheels slip.

It was my first ride ever with a EU Class 1 e-bike, e-MTB innit.

My ride with the Monster (Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro) proved to be interesting. I have ridden for an hour, and the terrain involved blacktop with speed bumps, easy single track full of potholes and tree-roots, soil, gravel, and thin sand. I can only tell you that the Monster is designed, made and behaving delightfully as a bike. The 150 mm travel full suspension, 2.6" tubeless tyres (different for the front and for the rear) just laughed at any obstacles! The ride was totally plush. My biggest surprise was riding into the sand and the bike even didn't "blink"! I continued riding the sandy road as if it were some hard ground.

That's the proper full suspension bike and quite fat tyres for you.

Electrically, I tested the assist modes from Smart Assist (Auto) through Eco, Eco+ and Normal. As I will explain later, a Euro Class 1 (25 km/h, 15.5 mph) e-MTB does not need any assist more on the flat unless the conditions are quite hard.

The Smart Assist is a disaster, at least for me. My legs are very weak and the Auto mode "thought" I wanted riding slow, so I rode with a great effort. I rode over 8 km, big part of the route through a single track, fire-roads, sandy roads. The ride was stable despite of rough terrain, and the Smart Assist mode was only using 0.8 % of the battery per a kilometre. I was very tired though, and the max speed off-road was only 14 km/h.

Then I switched to Eco. The Monster went alive. I could ride up to 18 km/h without effort. The battery draw was 1% a kilometre. Next mode, Eco+ got me at 22 km/h. When I switched to the Normal mode, I easily hit the 25 km/h. The Yamaha motor has the on/off nature, so I kept steady 24 km/h and could ride for hours that way; the battery draw rate was less than 2% per each kilometre. It made no sense to go into the Sport or Power mode; i would hit the limiter and only be wasting the battery charge. I'm sure the higher assist modes will turn invaluable on hills.

1589569933652.png

Riding out from a fireroad in Las Młochowski. There are already some mods on the bike.

The noise. I am aware that -- different to the silent Turbo Vado and very quiet hub-drive Lovelec -- all e-MTB motors are noisy. The SyncDrive Pro or Yamaha PW-X2 produces a quiet whine when in low power modes and a quite loud bassy hum when the assist level goes up. I can live with that.

You were asking how the "yammer" motor feels like: It feels as if a wind were pushing you. It is a quite different experience compared to the Specialized 1.2s (Brose TF) in which the experience is so natural that you feel yourself Superhuman :D

Negative thing about Trance E+ 2 Pro? Poor saddle, poor grips; and the RideControl App -- although it connects to the bike immediately -- is far less than I thought it would be. I use far better apps for navigation and for recording my trips. The RC App is only good for Tune and Diagnostics. Good enough for me. However, I'm buying the expensive RideControl Evo display. I need a display.

The impressions are positive. The Monster is a premium trail e-MTB of beautiful design, performance and is very sexy. It has been made for single track riding, mountain biking. It is very good for me because I hardly could ride in forests, bad roads before, and I was afraid of steep hills. If I am healthy tomorrow and the weather improves, I'm driving to Cracow to test the Monster on a 50 km trip involving hills. As I will move with average traditional cyclists, I am of good hope!

1589576339766.png

Low power modes resulted in low average speed.

Last edited:
Speeding through the wetlands …
2020-05-15-094746-aa-ebr.jpg

Boondall Wetlands, Brisbane
One would need to be a wildlife enthusiast to call the Boondall Wetlands beautiful but they are home to birds and other animals (legless reptiles especially!) that would have been displaced by canal-style development.

The track through the wetlands is narrow and twisting but has a grippy asphalt surface. During my road bike days our chain gang would whizz through these S-bends at exhilarating speed. For roadies there were three 'rules': steady 30 km/h, don't touch the brakes, lights on. From seeing an approaching cyclist to passing was often less than ten seconds. Cross the centre line at your peril! I'll stick to life in the slow lane.

Apart from offering refuge to flapping and slithering things, the casuarina and melaleuca trees act as a most effective sound barrier from the nearby motorway – the usual suspect, Highway One!

Your smooth concrete path will not stay smooth if you have winters… You need a FS bike to ride them!

We don't have severe winters to wreck concrete paths, but we do have roots to play havoc – notably those of the spindly casuarina trees in the photo. My vote is for asphalt. Maybe, it's because I prefer the hum of rubber on tar more than the thump–thump–thump from poorly-joined slabs!

2020-05-15-aa-map.jpg

Pink X — location of photo.
Black DOWN Arrowsunrise over the mangroves; post #1 of this thread.
Black UP Arrowfinal photo in 2019 photo thread; post #452.

00-au-map-5g.jpg

Approximations…
  • Equator : top edge of map.
  • 49th Parallel South : bottom edge of map
  • Brisbane : 27ºS; US equivalent location : Tampa, Florida.
  • Queensland : same area as Alaska.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speeding through the wetlands …
(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
Boondall Wetlands, Brisbane
One would need to be a wildlife enthusiast to call the Boondall Wetlands beautiful but they are home to birds and other animals (legless reptiles especially!) that would have been displaced by canal-style development.

The track through the wetlands is narrow and twisting but has a grippy asphalt surface. During my road bike days our chain gang would whizz through these S-bends at exhilarating speed. For roadies there were three 'rules': steady 30 km/h, don't touch the brakes, lights on. From seeing an approaching cyclist to passing was often less than ten seconds. Cross the centre line at your peril! I'll stick to life in the slow lane.

Apart from offering refuge to flapping and slithering things, the casuarina and melaleuca trees act as a most effective sound barrier from the nearby motorway – the usual suspect, Highway One!

We don't have severe winters to wreck concrete paths, but we do have roots to play havoc – notably those of the spindly casuarina trees in the photo. My vote is for asphalt. Maybe, it's because I prefer the hum of rubber on tar more than the thump–thump–thump from poorly-joined slabs!

Pink X — location of photo.
Black DOWN Arrowsunrise over the mangroves; post #1 of this thread.
Black UP Arrowfinal photo in 2019 photo thread; post #452.

Approximations…
  • Equator : top edge of map.
  • 49th Parallel South : bottom edge of map
  • Brisbane : 27ºS; US equivalent location : Tampa, Florida.
  • Queensland : same area as Alaska.

I have fond memories growing up as a young kid in Brisbane... ever ridden up north to Gladstone? ;)

a bit of a different post from me today, I enjoy the many adventures here always looking forward to David's lessons from Australia, Ready to ride's essays from VA, Steve and gang from the west coast and the awe inspiring photos of our Washington, Oregon and California group and not forgetting what Stefan surprises us with from Poland and much more . . . in our neck of the woods in Southern Alberta this is traditionally cattle round up and processing time - usually a community sharing event but given our current times today was strictly a family affair and even Grandpa and MeeMaw stuck to our bikes and did the photo capturing while we kept the distance from family - so hard on days like today - first picture the 3 dads with some of our 9 grandkids old enough to ride, then a picture of our future rodeo stars learning by play, and Wacey riding a barrell but I so hope he moves on to mountain bikes like grandpa and not riding the bulls like Dad, and finally my 2 oldest grandkids who enjoy riding bikes with grandpa but given a choice pretty sure they would pick their horses ...

Attachments

• IMG_5093.jpg
    IMG_5093.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_8918.JPG
    IMG_8918.JPG
    570.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_8757.JPG
    IMG_8757.JPG
    577.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_8763.jpg
    IMG_8763.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 296
Waste of money?
View attachment 52358
Brassall Bikeway, Muirlea.
For the first four months of 2020 a two-kilometre section of the rail trail near our home was closed. Bulldozers, graders and front-end loaders reigned supreme. Concrete was poured and trees and grass were planted.

Tellingly, the council renamed it the Brassall Bikeway – their project and, therefore, their credit – no longer the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, not this section anyway.

Opening day was a public holiday, Labour Day. This year, of course, no one was permitted to march down the streets in trade union solidarity with banners, slogans and chants. What to do instead? Head for the 'new' bikeway!

But I know it is really the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail…

View attachment 52361
Muirlea on the Brisbane Valley Line, mid-1880s.

Whilst I was taking this photo at Muirlea, two friends from Ipswich (town) pulled up.
Me: This is good!​
Friends: Wonderful!​
And then Andy arrived from the other direction (country).
Andy: Like it! Now they have to fix the bit around Fairney View.​
Me: Definitely next!​
Oh dearie me, that was a bone of contention. The gravel riders and mountain bikers, including my Ipswich friends, like it rough. Andy and I don't.

The four of us had a nice ride together and, by tacit agreement, said nothing uncomplimentary about local government decision-making.

The Brisbane Valley Rail Trail is 161 km long of which the concreted sections (the parts renamed by local politicians!) total 8 km – just five percent. Nothing to fret over.

I now have the option of riding down to the rail trail (two minutes) and choosing to turn north (rough into the country) or south (smooth into town). Surely, a win-win situation.

View attachment 52359
Newly-laid concrete! Horror of horrors in the minds of gravel devotees.
Looks nice! I wish we have scenic bike paths like that. 😍

Touring the South, Befriending Mountains, and Breathing Solace

Today was one for celebrating the civilized road. The roads of the 21st century, all ironed to a smooth black perfection, laid out like formal satin ribbons woven through a tapestry of heat shimmering summer greenery and faultless blue skies.

No gravel today...or, rather, as minimal as I could manage since it is nigh impossible in my area to get far without setting foot on the crunchy, natural dynamics of "pre-cellphone, old road technology". Meaning, out in my neck of the woods paved roads had to be hunted down before you could ride them. Their natural habitat lay south of me, so that is the direction I turned the Vado's nose as we set off together to scout for those smooth black satin ribbons of highway, and enjoy chasing them through the countryside.

map-5-15-2020_copy_718x666.jpg

0515201139_copy_896x1493_copy_896x822.jpg

Only a whiff of civilization met us as we left behind the first 8 miles in our county and crossed south into a lower county. Here the paved roads were almost camouflaged to mimic a gravel road, but my bike knew the difference and leaped to the chase with alacrity, nose into the wind, setting a pace worthy of it's name in Latin ("I go"). And go it did, speeding along as the wind evolved into nothing more than a wonderful cooling breeze on what was becoming an increasing hot morning.

The paved roads having been found, my bike focused it's intent upon their trail. I shared the ride with minimal traffic, all unfailingly polite with that typical Virginia graciousness and charm. Exchanging friendly waves with every passerby on foot, on tractor, holding a weedwacker or a steering wheel, I was awarded the same with generous smiles, and often greetings as well. With such pleasant surroundings to welcome me, all that was left for me to do was pedal along and enjoy the ride.

0515201142_copy_896x1493_copy_896x1008.jpg

Whimsy abounds like hidden trinkets for those that can spot silliness even from the saddle of a speeding bike. I had to rein in the Vado and roll back up the road to get a closer look at...what turned out to be a stuffed toy resembling Lamb Chop, a saucy little hand puppet popularized by comedian ventriloquist Sherri Lewis in her 1960's kid oriented tv show. A half century ago everyone age 4 and up knew Lamb Chop and his antics that were guaranteed to provide giggles and laughs as he drove Sherri crazy each Saturday morning for three solid years. I didn't expect such a noted TV personality to be partaking in a starring role in a farm sign review, but...here he was. Imagine that.

My Vado was anxious to get back to the hunt, so I bid Lamb Chop a fond farewell, and continued riding south into the sunshine and wind

0515201143_copy_896x538.jpg

We were in snazzy countryside now full of foxhunt jumps and groomed fields. This was a tiny jump, barely worthy of the name. One could step over it with ease without breaking a sweat, yet it still felt itself justified to have the company of the prerequisite gate for those less able (or too old) to hop a rail. Such courtesy is a given in this countryside. One wouldn't expect less.

0515201138_copy_896x538.jpg

Then we chanced upon this vision of gold - a brilliant field of glossy yellow butter cups. Almost reminiscent of Dorothy's field of poppies she had to pass through before reaching the city of Oz. "Peasing to the eye" was the Witch of the West's comment of the poppies, and these buttercups, while sunshine yellow rather than a poppy red, are every bit as pleasing. And every bit as deadly. You see, they are highly toxic to livestock, and their presence in a field, especially to this extent, means they will need more than the Witch of the North's winter snow to send them back into the earth. Fortunately, their toxic poison is partnered with a very bitter taste, so livestock avoids grazing on them, allowing this weed to proliferate until it takes over a field rendering the land useless for anything. Plowing or chemicals are the only eradication methods to restore a field like this. Such a shame it was allowed to get to this state.

0515201149_copy_896x538.jpg

We had traveled quite a few miles but the roads were still not willing to give up the small bit of wild left in them, so they remained unpainted and a bit rough around the edges. Now and then I would spot an old road that had gone completely back to nature, supplanted by more modern byways taking a slightly different track through the countryside. Here, in the background of this picture, was just such a road given back to the wild, the only trace left of any civilization being a single stone bridge stantion out in an rough field, standing tall and proud as a reminder that, at some point in the distance past, a road had once surmounted the stone shoulders in a leap over the wide creek to follow a now forgotten byway. Not many who crossed the new, gleaming white concrete bridge would give the old stone pillar a glance in passing, even if they saw it. It didn't appear to care much about anything, keeping an indifferent shoulder to the passing cars, trucks, and one curious cyclist stopping to take a picture. It never wavered in its faithful stand at the edge of the wide creek, waiting for someone to supply a bridge to its stone shoulders so that it could be useful once again.

That may never come to pass, but who was I to say so to that old masonry creation. Due to the aggressive growth of the creekside underbrush I could not tell if a fellow bridge support awaited on the far side of the creek. Be that as it may, the stone pillar probably stood alone. I took it's portrait, and rode on.

0515201158_copy_896x538_2.jpg

I felt very sorry for this blind driveway, thinking how terrible it would be not to see the sweeping grandeur of nature right at the road's edge. I kept imagining the end of the driveway teetering on the edge of the road in a pair of dark glasses and a cane, tapping cautiously in front of itself and listening hard for the sound of approaching cars. I could see the blind road eagerly inviting me in for lunch, glad for a visit. Maybe some hot soup? And perhaps an expresso?

But reality is rarely as fun as a giggling Mel Brooks inspired imagination, and all I discovered was a flat, boring, antisocial driveway not caring to even glance over at me as I cycled past. No dark glasses, no cane, no eagerness for someone to pause for a bit of friendly conversation and lunch. Just an indifferent driveway unwilling to expend even the smallest amount of energy to surmount the small hill (the "blind" hill) to peek at oncoming traffic. Too many blind jokes, perhaps? I rode past, disappointed, unnoticed and ignored.

Ah well. I was content to let my bike retain pace, and while saddened that there would be no espresso, we soon left the innocuous not-blind-merely-boring driveway in our rear view mirror.

0515201158b_copy_896x538.jpg

As I cruised past this view I happened upon a gentleman standing alongside the road, his face obscured by a rather large camera with an even larger zoom lens, his body, face, and camera all pointed in the direction of the mountain in the distance. His car was parked on the road nearby, signaling he was not a local. Being rather nosey, I stopped, announced myself as someone rather nosey, and asked what he was taking a photograph of. The mountains, perhaps? Actually, he said, he was framing the old barn in the distance, and this barbed wire here. I glanced at the tired, rusted roadside wire protecting the field from intrusion. "It's rusty", the man said, as if that made it noteworthy. I could see the charm in that, and said so. I asked if he was out for a day of photographing , and he gave me a small smile, explaining how he had to get out of the house for a while for his sanity and (his face displaying that tell tale look of mild exasperation to life itself) "for the sanity of the family". I told him I thought that was both thoughtful of him as well as hilarious.

Being that the day was sunny and the light excellent, I remarked that he was bound to get some lovely photographs. The haze, he said, waving his hand in a vague direction towards the distant mountains, was a bit of an issue, but he was sure he'd be able to edit it out later. I wished him well, we said our goodbyes, and my bike took off once again at a merry pace.

0515201239_copy_896x538.jpg

I let the roads glide past under my bike's silent wheels as I sat back, enjoying the endless delights of a countryside in late spring. I was not intent upon hunting further south into the domain of more paved roads as the sun and the day were getting rather warm, even with a cooling headwind. So I turned the Vado back north, giving it free rein to cruise at will down more familiar paved roads as I sat and took in the passing views of exquisite estates with manicured fields, and elegant entryways with equally elegant names on classy estate signs.

The miles rolled on as the estates passed one by one in stately review for my pleasure, each endeavoring to outdo the others in class and prestige. One such estate, pulling out all stops to be the most of the most, actually had their fields - not just lawns but entire acres of fields - groomed by those special mowers that cut baseball fields resulting in a perfect cross patchwork of mowed lines. At one point a small creek had accidentally gotten in the way of the perfect crosshatch lines, but it was as if the mowers had simply levitated over the creek and continued the lines in continued perfection. I didn't even want to fathom how they did that, let alone the expense.

Some people just have too much time on their hands and way too much money.

Eventually the paved roads to the south met up with the few paved roads across the East-West highway, and I was once again in the land of gravel roads. I had relatively few choices if I wanted to stay on the paved roads as I headed home, but all those choices came with a short hop on a gravel road at some point. It was inevitable, and unavoidable. But not unwelcome.

0515201255_copy_896x1493_copy_896x1027.jpg

Time slows down when you ride a gravel road. The hustle and bustle of modern life suddenly disappears. The noise, the hurry, and heightened awareness of the 21st century ...simply fades away. Nature reaches out and takes you by the hand, encouraging you to slow down, to look around, to hear the songbirds, and savor the coolness of the woodland trees hovering like protective nannies all along the road shoulders, carefully shading the road bed from the hot sun overhead. A lady and her little dog were out enjoying the peaceful byway, unaware that there was anyone else but themselves anywhere to be seen at that moment. They were just crossing a tiny low water bridge, and at that point stopped to watch the water flow beneath the old timber bridge boards.

0515201252_copy_896x1493_copy_896x1114.jpg

The gravel road took me deeper into the woods, deeper into the silence of the afternoon. My bike had slowed down to an ambling pace, allowing me to simply be at one with the silent roads. At the bend of the road, had I turned left onto a path that had once been public roadway but now long abandoned back to private ownership, I could have asked the Vado to do 2 miles of cross country back to our farm. But that way was only open to horses, so we continued to follow the public gravel road to the right another mile until it reached the main paved road.

0515201259_copy_896x538_copy_643x415.jpg

We were now only about 3 miles from home, but I never quite noticed how the mountains seemed so close when traveling this road. It stuck me as very pretty, and very picturesque. Quite worthy of stopping, just for a moment, to take a snapshot which, sadly, didn't quite capture the real thing to do it justice.

0515201309_copy_896x1493_copy_664x766.jpg

The neighbors at the end of my road had had their pig statue being politically correct for the pandemic with a mask, but now the pig was being decidedly fashionable, too. My neighbor was out in his yard so I asked, and received, permission to take a photograph. He said his wife is the one who "dresses the pig". Then he added "obviously". We both chuckled, then relaxed into easy conversation. He was curious about my bike, having seen me riding by almost every day, and wondered where I went. He said he and his wife have been walking to relieve the boredom of being home so much, and while they had tried the popular bike trail in town, it proved to be a bit too popular for any type of proper social distancing, and much too noisy. So they are sticking close to home, now, he said, walking the gravel roads.

We lingered in casual conversation, as neighbors do, and discussed our gardens, lawns, mowing, and the weather, agreeing that we will both be having to get out in the early mornings soon to avoid the heat that is about to hold us captive in our homes far more securely than the current virus. Virginia heat and humidity is nothing short of a formidable foe that can only be fought with quality air conditioning and carefully planned retreat inside anything with AC or a powerful fan until nightfall.

We soon said our goodbyes and he returned to his outside chores while I eased the Vado back into the road for the final mile home.

0515201322_copy_896x538_copy_791x323.jpg

One mile further and the Vado rolled into a gallop downhill with home in its sights, just in time for a late lunch out on the porch under a cooling ceiling fan and to hear all about hubby's entertaining day battling errant fenceline grasses with his trusty sidekick (the weedwacker), and cleaning the barn's gutters.

Life in the countryside. Simply perfect.

Last edited:
Back