2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
All I want to do is play the golf course!
It's a beautiful venue... the 4th Fairway is just to the upper left in the photo above of Stillwater Cove. ;)

1603169002010.png

Last edited:
Off to South Devon next week, which is where I grew up as a child and most of my family still live.
Of course its against government advice and I certainly wont be able to visit them outside of standing in the garden.
Because the ebike has expired Im quickly converting the wifes Ghost mtb to electric with a few spare bits I have lying around.

The terrain down there is hills that all go up, you never come down.
I think you have to visit a mineshaft after a week down there to reset your altitude , but worry not I will have a lashed together, mainly reliable ebike to see me through.

The really difficult bit will be telling her its happening and tbh its pretty easy to return to original.
Im practising my 'It will be fine face' every night.
If this plan fails we have a back up Giant mtb with horrific cable brakes, but as I mentioned thats not a problem because non of the hills go down.

The big question is do I fit the road legal controller or go completely lockdown rogue and slap on the 1500w version and blame it on covid madness.
'Whats this we have here sir, seems you have written 250w in crayon on a 1500w chinese sourced electronic, brushless, non sine wave , 3 phase motor controller.
Not that I know much of these things and I only stopped you to make sure you are washing your hands.'

There are some interesting things in the area and where we are staying is the beach where the most horrific loss of American life in a training exercise for the Normandy landings occured and when I was little I remember seeing for the first time a grown man crying in public at the memorial that was there then and the beach still has warning signs for unexploded bombs.
Yes...on the tourist beach!

Of course Boris could scupper the whole thing at the weekend

20 miles yesterday with my cycling neighbor, both of us slipping away from our "To Do" lists for an hour or two in order for her to try out her new LaFree. I was on my LaFree as well since our planned route was 100% on the local gravel roads. As the bikes were matched in everything except the riders powering them, it was almost too easy for us to maintain a perfectly cadenced side-by-side pace almost the entire ride. So nice for riding and talking. She was thrilled with how the new bike performed, and especially the ease of the step through design. I think her days of struggling not to fall when dismounting (which has happened numerous times with her Vado) will be history when she rides this bike. A win-win.
Screenshot_20201019_213317_copy_614x720.jpg

As is usually the case when we ride together, I tend not to stop for photographs. Those moments come when I'm heading the 1.5 miles home from her place. Moments when the world is all mine, and silence drapes a friendly arm across my shoulders encouraging contemplative thoughts as my bike travels a bit more slowly, a bit more graciously, to allow me time to look around. Time to feel how the air has become ever so slightly colder than it was when I set off 2 hours prior. Time to notice the breezes have become more playful, having fun zooming up behind and around me, sledding the fallen autumn leaves on their backs gleefully down the roads. The leaves zip past me in crackles of laughter, individuals and groups, all racing and bumping into one another in utter abandon, much like children, bellies flopped on sleds and toboggans, racing one another down snowy hills during those heady days of winter when schools are closed for snow and everyone bundles up against the cold to come out to play. It was amusing to watch the leaves playing with the wind and to see some of the leaves, of the dense audience alongside the road, suddenly whirl into the road, into the other sledding leaves, and take off down the road as if it were ice rather than gravel.

I hunched a bit deeper into my cycling jacket as the roads dipped among the trees where the long shadows live and where the air, hidden from the warmth of the sun, reaches out with cold fingers to touch those passing by.
IMG_20201019_143040_5_copy_979x1305.jpg

I wasn't too far from home, but time seems to move more slowly in those final miles on the gravel roads. Speed leaves the equation and contemplation takes its place. Maybe that happens because one is reluctant to see the end the ride, loath to let go of the peace and solitude that wrap the countryside and, by lucky default, encompasses the cyclist who follows the road to become part of the scenery themselves.

IMG_20201019_143222_0_copy_979x1305.jpg

The days are definitely starting to chill. The sun is abandoning the sky earlier each day, and while the skies are still bright and cheery, there is a note of sadness settling about, tucking itself into the dark recesses of the browning woods, the piles of dead leaves, the black stretched shadows leading the way down the road in a complex scribble of undulating lines and Celtic symbols. I'm wearing warmer gloves now, somber colored long pants rather than the colorful shorts of summer. A neck warmer keeps that body extremity warm, as does the thicker socks snuggling my feet. I am changing over to accommodate the changes of nature around me. Soon enough the bikes will be moved from the garage into the house where it is warmer. Soon. Once the leaves have all changed colors and fallen to the earth, the storm windows are closed and latched tight, the frost arrives in the sleepy predawn hours to coat the grass a glittering white under the equally glittering stars, and the jackets and hats are placed in close proximity to the door.

Winter is coming, I know ...but hopefully not quite yet.

Last edited:
The big question is do I fit the road legal controller or go completely lockdown rogue and slap on the 1500w version and blame it on covid madness.
That really depends on if you want to ride the bike or you prefer the bike rides you (a reference to the old "In Soviet Russia..." meme) :D

Of the news: My Pentax K-1 camera (which was broken when I was speeding downhill from the Great Owl Mt on the Trance E+, and the pannier detached itself) has been finally repaired. The repair cost is approximately 1/4 of the price of the new camera... I plan a ride to Warsaw for tomorrow early morning. This time, I intend to carry the camera in the backpack!

Last edited:
Finally home from 3 weeks in the province of Saskatchewan where my son and daughter have both established ranches. Equal time was spent with both families doing the fall round-up of cow-calf pairs and sorting but more importantly spending time with our grand-children. Charl and I managed to get in several bike rides with my riding goal for this trip getting more proficient at pedalling up steep hills without spinning out the back tire. What amazed me was Charl pedalling up those hills with her Giant Liv Amiti and much narrower tires. Included in the photos are Jase (family horse whisperer) connecting with one of the horses, "Mesa" the golden retriever who accompanied me on my valley up and down rides
IMG_5626.JPG
IMG_5642.jpg
IMG_5632.jpg
IMG_5754.JPG
, my son-in-law's hobby for raising rodeo bulls with no rodeos this year of course so a mechanical rider for practice, and a lunch date with my youngest grand-daughter at a local park.

Attachments

• IMG_5681.jpg
    IMG_5681.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5608.jpg
    IMG_5608.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
After days of rain it was great to get out again today, it was a little windy but mild for the time of year! Lots of ups and downs today, it was so much fun! :D Lots of cyclists about today which surprised me, although given the situation here with Covid lots of people are off (or out of) work!:( I didn't take any photos today, I just wanted to enjoy riding the bike with no distractions as I doubt I will be riding much in the coming week at least! Bring back the cold dry weather please!;)

1603290987259.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile217.jpg
    elevation_profile217.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 278
  • trip-57965073-map-full130.png
    trip-57965073-map-full130.png
    422.9 KB · Views: 270
After days of rain it was great to get out again today, it was a little windy but mild for the time of year! Lots of ups and downs today, it was so much fun! :D Lots of cyclists about today which surprised me, although given the situation here with Covid lots of people are off (or out of) work!:( I didn't take any photos today, I just wanted to enjoy riding the bike with no distractions as I doubt I will be riding much in the coming week at least! Bring back the cold dry weather please!;)

View attachment 69330
Only 40 miles for you today? I did 4.5 miles. I'm catching up!

finally got a good sunset pic
View attachment 69325
Finally home from 3 weeks in the province of Saskatchewan where my son and daughter have both established ranches. Equal time was spent with both families doing the fall round-up of cow-calf pairs and sorting but more importantly spending time with our grand-children. Charl and I managed to get in several bike rides with my riding goal for this trip getting more proficient at pedalling up steep hills without spinning out the back tire. What amazed me was Charl pedalling up those hills with her Giant Liv Amiti and much narrower tires. Included in the photos are Jase (family horse whisperer) connecting with one of the horses, "Mesa" the golden retriever who accompanied me on my valley up and down ridesView attachment 69258View attachment 69257View attachment 69265View attachment 69256, my son-in-law's hobby for raising rodeo bulls with no rodeos this year of course so a mechanical rider for practice, and a lunch date with my youngest grand-daughter at a local park.
I follow a crazy farmer on youtube from saskatch.
Bit of a rude name but he's hilarious.

Anyway love that climbing pic

I follow a crazy farmer on youtube from saskatch.
Bit of a rude name but he's hilarious.

Anyway love that climbing pic
rural Saskatchewan truly has a slower pace of life, drivers slow down sharing the country roads with those of us on bikes and almost always a big wave and smile - speaking of crazy names one of the cities is called Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan -

The afternoon started off well. It was noon and I had about 2 hours to spare to do 20 miles before getting back home to clip the gelding, then trim the mare' s hooves, put shoes on her fronts, and take her out for a hack down the road.

Hopped on the LaFree and kicked off down the gravel road to check out the creek crossing (at 4.5 miles from my place) that will be part of Loop 3 on the 60 mile gravel road ride this coming Sunday. Had the LaFree pose like a fashionista in the creek while I snapped shots of the creek, trees, etc, etc. All fun and games.
IMG_20201021_142047_2_copy_600x800.jpg

IMG_20201021_141835_0_copy_800x600.jpg

Left the creek and headed back towards home to do part of Loop 1 of the 60 mile ride as that section was on the gravel roads encircling my farm. All told I planned to do 9 more miles to total 18 or so miles overall.

I was exactly 7.5 miles into my ride back, a little over a mile from home, when I heard a weird thump thump thump coming from the vicinity of my back tire. I stopped, dismounted, and checked over the bike to see if I could source the sound.

Nada.

Hoped back on and pedaled a few strokes. The sound returned, rhythmically in perfect cadence. Thump thump thump. I dismounted again, checked over the bike, and couldn't find anything amiss. I decided to walk my bike a bit, just to see if I could hear the sound better and possibly find the reason. It was pretty obvious a few steps later that the sound was coming from the tire somehow hitting the fender. I ran my hand over the tire under the fender, but nothing was hitting, nothing was caught between the two.

I was at a complete loss.

Now, in hindsight, It just so happened that each time I stopped and checked the bike, or ran my hand over the highest arch of the tire, the reason for the thumping had the misfortune to have rotated to the bottom of the tire to rest on the road, thus being hidden from view. It wasn't until I began walking the bike again and happened to be looking at the bike's shadow on the road that I noticed something seemed to be stuck to the tire. I stopped the bike and went to peer behind at the tire when...it let loose with a POP and a massive rush of air. Right in front of my eyes. Instant flat. Instant hole in the tire followed closely by an instant release of a lot of select language from me that won't be detailed here.

This is what I saw:
Screenshot_20201021_220224.jpg

This is what my back tire looked like 1.5 miles from home:
IMG_20201021_150103_5_copy_1280x960_copy_960x720.jpg

Nothing I could do except call home for hubby to put the rack on the car and come pick me up. While waiting for him, I called my Giant bike shop. They said if I could get the bike to them today they'd see what they could do.

Long story short: my gelding did not get clipped. My mare also didn't get her feet trimmed, or her shoes on, or a lovely hack down the road. Nope, none of that happened because, in fact, the rest of the afternoon was spent driving the 50 mile round trip to the bike shop for them to scrounge their depleted inventory for a decent replacement tire and tube to put on my bike. My mechanic said it looked like I'd run over a particularly sharp rock, enough to tear the tire and allow the innertube to bubble out of the tear. That was the thumping sound I heard when the bubble rubbed past a screw end in the underside of the fender that held the side stays in place.

The damage was severe enough that my expensive QTube thorn resistant tube was pretty much toast, and another one can't be found anywhere in the US for love or money. (I've had an order in for a set for the Vado since July, and both the Specialized bike shop and I are still waiting). I did get moved to the head of the queue because I was happy to wait for my mechanic to put on the new tire and tube. Took hubby to a fast food joint for dinner, and we sat in the car, munching down junk food and chatting until it was time to head back to the shop for my bike, load it onto the rack, and head home in the midst of rush hour traffic (6:30pm)

Now, what's interesting is that a half hour before the blowout, I had called up the bike shop (while I was riding and while the subject was on my mind) to talk to them about the possibility of fitting tubeless tires on the bike. Not that it would have helped in this extreme situation, but ... hey, it might give me more peace of mind considering the miles I've been riding on this bike - 4,697 km thus far (2,918 miles) - with 98% of those km/mi being on gravel roads. That is a lot of rough surface riding.

So it was rather funny for them to see me oniy a few hours later waltz into the store with a limping bike and a tire that looked like it had taken a bullet for me.

I do need to have my mechanic (who, when I asked if he ever got a flat on his daily 20 mile round trip commute to the store and back home, told me he has never had a flat because he runs on tubeless) look at this website's Giant forum regarding Giant bikes running tubeless because he said it can't be done for my electric bike. I suspect it can, because of the people here who have been posting their positive experiences with tubeless on their Giants, but I need to gather more facts in my favor, especially as it relates to my particular bike model.

I'm going to clip my gelding tomorrow....after a zip around the gravel roads to try out the new back tire. We'll see what the Fates have in store for me this time.

Last edited:
Flora, what a disaster! I need to warn you the wheels on your both e-bikes might not qualify for the tubeless as the wheels themselves need to be tubeless-ready from the beginning. The tubeless setup may offer some benefits but that's a messy thing and such a deep cut as you have experienced might be beyond repair, either. Just saying. Good you can count on your private SAG! All in all, perhaps you are ready for a nice e-MTB for riding mostly gravel and dirt roads? (Another warning: e-MTB hates paved roads!)

Regarding the rhythmical sound from the rear wheel, it is typically some loose part of the pannier (such as the carrying strap) hitting the spokes in my case. Sometimes, it could be a twig getting into the spokes. I was scared by such a sound many times!

Back