2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Very Sad Sunday

It was expected to be just a standard Sunday ride to see my daughter. I chose my Lovelec because the hub-drive e-bike is fast and steady on commuting. I wore my standard "Cold Autumn" clothes, including clear goggles. (Full sunshine, almost no wind, yet riding at 30-32 km/h on a pretty cold day required good, warm clothes). After visiting Magda I got the first message on my phone:

"Kelner is dead. Do you know more?" and then I got a stream of similar messages and occasional phone calls I could not return.

"Kelner" ("The Waiter") who died on Saturday in age of 57 was one of the most influential musician/songwriter in the Polish punk-rock, reggae, a techno scene since late 1970s, and a friend of mine. We had been in my musical project SZMATA since 2011. Bad, bad news.

1602506654298.png

Receiving condolences on my Sunday ride...

There were four people in my room nine years ago: "Kelner" (the long haired one), Robert Brylewski (The Father of The Polish PUNK & Reggae - the bald one - died 2018 in age 57), my wife Sheila Sheen (who made the movie - died in 2019 in age of 51), and I, the only survivor today. I'm getting used to death around me...

1602507137805.png

I was riding without planning, and fast to forget the sad things and replace them with the joy of ride. Don't pay condolences please; I have had enough of them...

Very Sad Sunday

It was expected to be just a standard Sunday ride to see my daughter. I chose my Lovelec because the hub-drive e-bike is fast and steady on commuting. I wore my standard "Cold Autumn" clothes, including clear goggles. (Full sunshine, almost no wind, yet riding at 30-32 km/h on a pretty cold day required good, warm clothes). After visiting Magda I got the first message on my phone:

"Kelner is dead. Do you know more?" and then I got a stream of similar messages and occasional phone calls I could not return.

"Kelner" ("The Waiter") who died on Saturday in age of 57 was one of the most influential musician/songwriter in the Polish punk-rock, reggae, a techno scene since late 1970s, and a friend of mine. We had been in my musical project SZMATA since 2011. Bad, bad news.

View attachment 68378
Receiving condolences on my Sunday ride...

There were four people in my room nine years ago: "Kelner" (the long haired one), Robert Brylewski (The Father of The Polish PUNK & Reggae - the bald one - died 2018 in age 57), my wife Sheila Sheen (who made the movie - died in 2019 in age of 51), and I, the only survivor today. I'm getting used to death around me...

View attachment 68379
I was riding without planning, and fast to forget the sad things and replace them with the joy of ride. Don't pay condolences please; I have had enough of them...

Sorry to hear about your loss... my condolences.

@Prairie Dog - what I would give to ride in your area and see those gorgeous natural sights. Truly beautiful!
Thanks RtoR. I'm in Central Alberta so it's either a 4.5 hr drive north to get to Jasper or 3 hrs in the opposite direction to Banff. Not exactly right in my backyard but nonetheless worth the drives. Fortunately for us is that we can choose between either location for some stellar rides.

What I would give is to have the ability to cycle almost all year round without having to deal with sub zero temperatures! 🥶
IMG_20200221_1605254.jpg

Thanks RtoR. I'm in Central Alberta so it's either a 4.5 hr drive north to get to Jasper or 3 hrs in the opposite direction to Banff. Not exactly right in my backyard but nonetheless worth the drives. Fortunately for us is that we can choose between either location for some stellar rides.

What I would give is to have the ability to cycle almost all year round without having to deal with sub zero temperatures! 🥶
View attachment 68405

You could move to Palm Springs but then from June thru October you deal with 100+ temps (F)

View attachment 68405
You might have to come visit Virginia. I had to look back in my January posts to see what I was doing, and fell across this one - post #73 - for January 18, 2020. T-shirt weather and a 50 mile ride, indeed. No sign of anything sub-zero.

T-shirt winters down here are expected to become the new normal as the climate emergency settles in to turn our world upside down.

Hmmmm. On second thought, with the climate change ramping up temperatures everywhere, maybe you should just stay in place. You may well be experiencing classic Florida quality winter weather before you know it.

PD…
Beautiful photos! They will bring back vacation memories for many of us (self included!).
…David
Thanks David. I guess we both share something in common with respect to special places. The closest that I ever got to your part of the world was a trip to NZ back in 2007. We stayed for three weeks and didn’t want to come home. Hope to relive those memories one day soon.

How 'bout some winter shots just to let everyone know that there is intrinsic value to venturing out during the colder months of the year. Here's a glimpse along some of the trails that I ride.

Fresh snow on the Red Deer River. Didn't know that white could be so beautiful. (March 2020)
IMG_20200406_1446191.jpg

My rides sometime take me along cross-country ski trails. (Apr 2020)
IMG_20200326_1429382.jpg

IMG_20200406_1452024.jpg

This footbridge traverses the river and is a great way to access both north and south points of the city. (Mar 2020)
IMG_20200326_1433521.jpg

Some of these geese will stick it out during the winter here. (Mar 2020)
IMG_20200329_1115441.jpg

My winter bike isn't e-powered but still slightly modified. Can't see myself parting ways with it.
IMG_20200205_1440389.jpg

Last edited:
PD…
Can you add some dates, please. March and April?

As usual, really interesting photos!
…David

Preening time …

Redcliffe Bike Trail, Kippa-Ring

Redcliffe Bike Trail
Kippa-Ring
Rainbow lorikeets (Trichoglossus moluccanus) are probably the easiest parrots to attract into one's garden.

Rainbow Lorikeet & Banksia Robur

Rainbow Lorikeet & Banksia Robur

Top photo taken on my way to see Jen this morning; lower photo taken in our garden in 2014 (that banksia plant is long gone!).

Last edited by a moderator:
It was in my van, but you can ride through them before and after the morning and evening rushour.
I actually drove through them. There is The Stranglers song called "London Lady" with obscene lyrics referring to the shape of the Tunnels. I wanted to understand the words better... And understood them :) (There is a line reading: "Have you ever been to Liverpool?") :D

These photos are outstanding!
Plenty more where they came from* …

Blue-faced honeyeater

Blue-faced Honeyeater
* The sound-deadening barriers alongside the Redcliffe Peninsula Rail Trail and our garden.

The blue-faced honeyeaters are noisy and gregarious, as are the rainbow lorikeets.

Blue-faced Honeyeater in Banksia Robur

As can be seen on the map of this morning's ride, my route followed the coast of Moreton Bay, for the most part literally on the edge of the beach (to 46 km), then swung south through a canal estate (46–48 km) to Kippa-Ring Station (50 km) and then alongside the rail line (50–58 km) from which it was separated by the mural-covered sound-deadening barrier. A pleasant ride.

Redcliffe Peninsula : Ride with GPS map

Back