2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Short ride, work is keeping me from riding!
2D0A8750.jpg
2D0A8752.jpg

Not super steep, about 11%, but a hell of a good time. 700c x 50, bravo!

Those breakdown areas are so soft it’s impossible not to spin the tire. A little further up pretty much all of it is washed out and that center berm goes away, but it’s just a gas cranking through it. One of my favorite hills.

1595086691012.jpeg

Last edited:
Not super steep, about 11%, but a hell of a good time. 700c x 50, bravo!

Those breakdown areas are so soft it’s impossible not to spin the tires. A little further up pretty much all of it is washed out and that center berm goes away, but it’s just a gas crank through it. One of my favorite hills.

View attachment 59332
Now that is not the bike for that terrain Dave but I admire your efforts. My scrotum hurts just looking at it. That is the kind of stuff my Maxxis 2.8" Dh front tire floats right over.

35 X 2 next year, sadly. Still love the hills, thank heaven for a good gravel ebike. I just can’t make myself ride past the entrance to this one, even on this lovely almost 90 degree day. It’s a sickness.

This would be a super good time on a Giant Trance or a Turbo Levo, though! Can’t quite work out how to sell that one to my better half.

View attachment 59314
100% legit, totally not a reporting error.

Not many night rides now I'm back to regular work commuting. It's weird seeing the roads choked again, parks full of kids doing sporting training, people lining up outside pubs and nightclubs.

Our district has one reported case, as we brace for a wave of fresh community transmissions from down south.

We must be descending the same roads... stay safe out there! 😉

IMG_4438.jpg

View attachment 59314
100% legit, totally not a reporting error.

Not many night rides now I'm back to regular work commuting. It's weird seeing the roads choked again, parks full of kids doing sporting training, people lining up outside pubs and nightclubs. Our district has one reported case, as we brace for a wave of fresh community transmissions from down south.

I think we have a winner! ;)
20181021_161845.jpg

This was a little bit worrisome. I turned to head home, with the wind and saw a smoke column. I couldn't figure out where it was and at one point feared it might be close to home. Then I got to where I could see. It is across the Okanogan River on the tribal lands. From what I'm hearing up in the sky, an air tanker has been called in.

To make matters worse, I had to ride by a freshly squished skunk.

Anyway, a 16 mile ride on a hot and windy afternoon.

DSC01232.JPG

DSC01235.JPG

View attachment 59308
It is become almost too hot to ride (temps - mid 90sF/mid 30sC), even in the mornings, resulting in my rides becoming sporadic at best, and nonexistent at worst. Indoor projects are now taking up leisure time, and the above ride was the last one I did before dropping the Vado off at the bike shop to have them install a longer hydralic brake cable for the left brake to accomodate my aftermarket riser stem. They told me their turnaround time was already out to 3 weeks, even with 4 mechanics working full time. I noticed that their formerly decimated store stock of bikes had been replenished a touch, but the place still looked like the aftermath of a fire sale. The new stock of bikes had been strategically placed at social distances to fill up all the empty retail space from what should have been tightly packed rows and rows of new bikes for sale. Apparently the incredible surge of bike sales (due to the Corona virus and stay-at-home orders) has not abated one bit. New bikes are still flying off the show room floor out the door the second the bike shops get stock in, and old bikes are being refurbished at a tremendous rate. Hence the very busy staff in the repair shop, and the 3 week turnaround time.

My LaFree looks very lonely in the garage by itself with no other bikes. At least it has the electric car to keep it company.

The lack of rain and incessant sun has dried up the lands, fields, and local streams and ponds. The corn fields are still growing, but starting to show signs of drought stress.
View attachment 59309

The heat hadn't stopped other cyclists from enjoying last weekend's sunny bright weather. I think I counted over 30 cyclists, including one touring cyclist who stopped me to inquire directions to Middleburg enroute to his destination in Rockville, MD. He had gotten himself somewhat lost on these roads, and already looked to be somewhat exhausted by the heat. I sent him on his way via the most direct route, to which he was extremely grateful. I doubt there will be any cyclists out this weekend as temps are expected to hit 100°F/38°C

View attachment 59310

"Making hay while the sun shines" has resulted in endless acres of hayed fields sporting 1,000 lb hay bales waiting for pick up and transport to commercial farm operations states away.

View attachment 59311

There was a bit of excitement last weekend with the convergence of Civil War reenactors gathering at one of the big estates down the road for a bit of reenactment fun. There were horses and mules and 1860s artiliary and wagons in abundance, not to mention an impressive army of men marching here there and everywhere, toting antique firearms and all dressed in vintage 1860s Confederate or Union military uniforms which, to preserve historical accuracy, were all woolen. In the July heat. In Virginia's oppressive, soul-destroying July heat.

The original Civil War troops were forced to march and fight in Virginia's July heat. The modern reenator does it for fun.

I'm sure they had a grand old time. A few cars still remained at the encampment when I swung by at the start of my ride, but by the time I swung by again on my final leg home, the field was completely empty, bereft of all life, human and animal. Only the tire tracks pressed into the dried grass on the parched, hot field were evidence that anything had even been there at all that week.

View attachment 59312

Right now the gravel roads are too dusty, and heat too oppressive, and the dangerously high temps forecast for the next week are all conspiring to keep me off my bike and holed up in the house with the AC.

Thus far, Mother Nature is winning, and I'm on a cycling sabbatical. I have a lot of sewing to do, making custom masks and clothing, etc. and other indoor projects, so I won't be kicking my heels with nothing to do while waiting for the temps to drop into reasonable cycling range. As soon as the weather does relent, I'll head back outside. Until then, I'll enjoy every one else's ebiking adventures.
I always look forward to reading about your biking adventures. You will be missed! 😉. 🚴‍♀️

Last edited:
I have seen ball caps attached to fence posts sometimes accumulating a quarter of section of posts but this was a first - at least 40 rocking horses attached to successive posts, must be a story there somewhere, today I had the old giant trance regular mtn bike out for its first ride since moving on to the e-bike world and it was a good ride - however, I hope the e-bike gets its electrical problem sorted out at the local bike hospital soon
20200718_130348.jpg

Exploring Lublin and Beyond (feat. Dick Jagger)

That's gonna be a totally photo-overloaded post, sorry!

I met a guy nicknamed Dick Jagger (36 now) as a drummer for the original Polish punk-rock band ZWŁOKI 8 years ago. Our friendship has been building slowly; meanwhile Piotr left his hometown of Wrocław (Breslau) for Lublin in East Poland for personal reasons. Jagger got very interested in my e-bike escapades (which I report on FB), and he expressed great eagerness to ride together. The day has come: I have been preparing for the trip to Lublin (that included taking the Trance and the Vado with my station-wagon and considering the weather conditions) for a week. At 10:00 on Saturday, I met Jagger in the Old Town of Lublin, where he lives in a beautiful loft in an ancient town-house.

1595133936746.png

Meet Jagger. Mr. Dick Jagger. ;)

Lublin! The city that is never mentioned as a major tourist attraction of Poland. How wrongly! In the 15th-16th c. the Renaissance city was at the top of its importance and power. Here, King Casimir IV Jagiellon issued an edict giving freedom to Jews. Here, Poland and Lithuania created their Commonwealth in 1569, forming a European superpower state. Here, Prussia paid the Second Homage to the Kingdom of Poland in the same year. The city was saved from destruction in 1944 by a rapid action of the Soviet Army, preserving the city's beauty. Here, Soviet Union created the Communist Poland in 1944, too. The city that was in decline even 20 years ago is gorgeous now.

Many of you might have heard the name of "Lublin" because it was very important Jewish city before WWII. The author Isaac Bashevis Singer published his "The Magician of Lublin" novel in 1960, and that won him the Nobel Prize. A movie based on the novel (with the title song performed by Kate Bush) was released in 1979.

1595134956582.png

However, we rode down the Lubartowska St. to see the Lublin Land at our journey start. A friend has told me the same place was a grim, dirty and dangerous location just 20 years ago. Now, there are flowers everywhere.

1595135360361.png

At the border of Lublin and Łęczna counties. Jagger, as an early Millenial is in love with the modern technology so he caught on the idea of e-bike instantly. As a relatively young drummer, he is strong. He rode (on the average) half of the whole distance in the Off mode with the Eco mode for ascents, against headwind, and to ride faster.

1595135141195.png

Jagger and me in the park of Zawieprzyce, 22 km from the trip start. "Zawieprzyce" means "a place beyond the River Wieprz". The name of the river Wieprz means "Hog" :D

1595135707873.png

Our Eastern province (voivodship) of Lublin borders with Belarus and Ukraine. The Land of Lublin is mostly a farming country, although the chemical and aerospace industry can also be found there.

1595135979467.png

Polish farmland is only rarely fenced, so we could eat delicious redcurrant straight from the plant at road-side.

1595136132836.png

Jagger was an excellent ride companion, and he is a humorous person! Here, attempting to do the wheelie next to the redcurrant plantation :D

1595136264272.png

The Land of Lublin is rich with cereals (there's even famous "Lublin Flour"!)....

1595136375174.png

...hops, and tobacco. The soil is fertile there. A hops plantation can be seen in the picture. The "Lubelski", "Marynka", "Sybilla" etc. hops varieties contribute to the taste of Polish lager beers (nine hops varieties are grown in the Land of Lublin).

1595136592938.png

A family of storks was very interested with us :) (Any prosperous Polish village has to sport a stork nest).

1595136701647.png

We were able to find an excellent Polish restaurant "Oleńka" in the county-town of Łęczna. The soup called "chłodnik" or the "cold soup" was just delicious! I could describe the food served at Oleńka as "true Eastern Polish home-made countryside meals served with a city elegance". Oh my! That was really good!

1595136979093.png

A horse on the Hog (meadow).

1595137105371.png

-- "Your Trance is a lot of a bike!" -- mentioned Jagger upon first seeing the e-bike. It doesn't look as big in the picture here, does it. Here, we felt powerful after the lunch. Jagger put the POWER mode on and disappeared at the distance. He hit 51.5 km/h on the flat and also hit the speed limiter :D Oh no! I switched to the Turbo mode on my Vado, applied the cadence of 110 rpm and went into the hot pursuit. I hit the limiter at 47.4 km/h :D

1595137433440.png

The harvest has just begun. (Do you call the machine "a combine harvester" in English? If so, the Polish name for it is "kombajn").

1595137789287.png

The youngest airport in Europe: The Lublin Airport (LUZ) in Świdnik. I didn't know it existed before I saw it!

1595137913370.png

I was stunned with the beauty of Lublin...

1595137991679.png

Just remove the cars, road-signs and the antenna, and you are back in the Jewish Lublin...

1595138088355.png

Lublin! The city unknown to the tourist crowds!

1595138178280.png

The European Centre for Meetings and Culture. You can even find an excellent craft-beer pub there, Browar Zakładowy. And the vista point at the roof.

1595138322322.png

Jagger was testing climbing and handling capabilities of Trance E+ there. For your information, the Vado 5.0 could climb to the half of the incline there only.

1595138473875.png

Jagger was also testing the full-suspension in Ogród Saski (The Saxon Garden). It is not the Saxon Garden of Warsaw!

1595138581229.png

Krakowskie Przedmieście (The Cracow Suburb) in Lublin. It is not the Cracow Suburb of Warsaw! :)
Lublin is a university city. There is the Marie Curie University and the Catholic University of Lublin as well as several smaller private universities in the city. That makes the city young and fashionable.

1595138774393.png

Brama Krakowska (The Cracow Gate) of Lublin. It is not the Cracow Gate of Ojców, Lesser Poland! :D

1595138906026.png

The (Renaissance) Main Square of Lublin. You actually needed a 15 mm ultra-wide-angle lens there to cover the square in it's entirety. My lens wide-end was at 24 mm, unluckily.

1595139069009.png

The Magician of Lublin.

1595139127910.png

"Święty Spokój" (Peace of Mind), a bookstore and vinyl record store combined with a cafe. Just like in America.

1595139233097.png

The Lublin Castle.

1595139309809.png

45 miles in Lublin and beyond. The stats have been updated from the Vado's display.

1595139677542.png

Within Poland. It takes 2 hours drive from my place to Lublin over the excellent S17 freeway. It will be 1.5 h when the new Southern Warsaw Beltway has been finished.

Last edited:
Back